“Great location, staff took good care of me”
Review of Hotel Max

Hotel Max
Ranked #33 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Eugene, Oregon
“Great location, staff took good care of me”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I'm very allergic to fragrances and alerted the staff ahead of time. They put me in a special room without any toiletries (at my request), and were very attentive to my needs. I just wish the lobby was not artificially fragranced--my companion likened it to cotton candy; my son's girlfriend thought bubblegum. In either event, not safe for me, which meant I couldn't try the beer at 5:30.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hello there onehsancare and thank you for choosing the Max! Furthermore, thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that our team was able to ensure your comfort during your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy our craft beer hour due to the cotton candy scented lobby. (your companion was correct!). Please know that you are more than welcome to enjoy a cold pint in our restaurant or even take it up to your guest room.
Again, thanks for staying with us and we cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future!
kevin.scott@hotelmaxseattle.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Temecula, Ca
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a few nights. Good location, close to just about everywhere. Hotel was fine. Clean, rooms small, but fine. Hotel staff wasn't very friendly, but fine. Seemed bugged if you asked them a question about directions. So the word for my review is "fine", nothing really wrong but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed May 2014
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hey there jmclean123,
Thank so for staying with us at the Max recently. Truly sorry to hear that you overall stay can be summed up as fine. That is nowhere near where we want to be. We want you to feel like a Seattleite after spending a couple of days at the Max.
Please know that I've shared your comments to the team and they are really bummed to hear that we missed the mark. They strive to be experts on the local area and offer up great recommendations that are your typical tourist traps.
We would love another chance to show you what the Max is all about. Please don't hesitate to contact me personally so that I may help with a future reservation.
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a few evenings on a stopover from London to Hawaii. We knew the hotel was a boutique hotel before arriving. We picked it due to the location, for access to both the downtown shopping and proximity to Pike Place Market etc.

We stayed for 3 nights - Mon/Wed incl. We were in a corner room to the rear of the hotel, room 807, which had double aspect windows and a view towards the Space Needle. (The side windows looked across a narrow alley directly into an office block).

There was limited storage space and little room around the bed, which meant our cases always got in the way. I guess this wouldn't be a problem if you were travelling light, but it was an issue for us.

That being said, the bed was comfortable and the room clean and airy.

Our main issue was the noise. Even with double glazing and being on the 8th floor traffic noise was intrusive. The worst however was the garbage collection on Tuesday night. Shortly after midnight and again around 2:30am a truck with audible warning for manoeuvring clashed and banged, and generally made such a din it woke us up. Both times.

A complaint to the front desk in the morning was met with no enthusiasm at all and we were told it was most unusual, and in any event, collections were only made on a Tuesday.

Like in a scene from "My Cousin Vinny" the same thing happened on Wednesday night, but at a different time, but just the once.

These events spoiled what should have been a good experience, and being brushed aside when complained about in my view, is unacceptable.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hello there Barry M.,
Thank you so much to you and your wife for choosing the Max as a stopover to Hawaii. Hopefully you are kicking back with a Mai Tai and your feet in the sand.
I must admit that after reading your review I was disheartened to hear that our team didn't go out of their way to make your and your wife more comfortable. Being in a downtown environment we do encounter noise but we should have done a better job of making sure that you two were comfortable. Please know that I've already shared your comments with our team as this is unacceptable and will be working to ensure that this does not happen again.
Again, thank you for staying with us and I'm sorry that we missed the mark. If you would like to speak further or if I can ever be of assistance in making a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact me.
London
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Good staff. Attached bar / restaurant is a little pricey and lacks the intimacy a hotel bar should have. Extra services are pricey. Great location, stayed four days and only used public transport once.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hey there peterobinson!
Thanks so much for choosing the Max and for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor. We loved reading your comments about your team. Please know that we are expecting a lobby refresh within the next few months and hope to bring that interactive hotel bar into the lobby. We hope that you get a chance to come back and see it later this year.
Again, thank you for the feedback.
Oakland, California
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed at the Max for a four night business trip and the room (Queen of Art) was fine for sleeping, but wasn't very functional for anything else. The staff however were very nice and responsive. My room was ready when I arrived early, and was much appreciated.

The room I was in was tiny and felt very tight for a single female traveller - I can imagine that it would feel extremely cramped with two people. My biggest complaint is around the bathroom/shower arrangement. The bathroom was very dim, with a stylish but not very practical sink and the shower was in a tiny stand alone closet-type space with no ventilation and minimal space for moving around (I felt trapped in a box!). I understand that the hotel is in an older building, and that's what adds to the charm, but the Max was a bit of a disappointment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello there Doris P.,
Thanks so much for choosing the Max for your recent business trip to Seattle. Furthermore, I appreciate you letting others know how your experience was. Overall, I'm sorry to read that we weren't able to hit a home run. As you know, we are an older building and that is what gives us the charm. What you may not know is that we have more than ten unique room layouts. Please don't ever feel like you cannot ask to see another room. We want you to leave the Max feeling like a rock star who just had a truly local Seattle experience.
All in all, we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back! If I can assist with making a future reservation please do not hesitate to reach out.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel's location is only a few steps away from Westlake center and Macy's. Around the hotel there's at least 3 Starbucks, a Mcdonalds and tons of places to eat. The best part is across the street, it's the US Federal Court House.

From the outside the appearance of the hotel looks very vintage, you can tell from the architecture that it was built a long time ago. When I entered the lobby, I was greeted by the valet guy ( not sure what you would call these guys that took your car keys and then park your car). The lobby looked very cool, it didn't resemble the traditional hotel lobbies where the floor was shiny and the lighting was super bright. This hotel's lobby was slightly dark when it comes to lighting and the windows were tinted.

For a full review and pictures, please visit my blog at: http://vantraveller.blogspot.ca/2013/04/hotel-max-seattle-part-5.html

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mikehsiao789
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hey there mikehsiao789,
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, it's location and overall vibe. Also, thanks for taking the time to post a more detailed review with pics on your blog. Some great traveler tips there!
Again, thanks for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Hotels are expensive in Seattle (not to say Parking - OMG) So do not expect much for your money. This is a small boutique hotel (literally). Rooms are small but adequate. Good if you just want a place to hang while you do the rest of the city. Don't hold your breath. It is not the W although it tries to be.

Room Tip: try a higher floor.