“Central location”
Review of Hotel Max

Hotel Max
Ranked #34 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed three nights in May prior to cruise. Rooms were very small but clean, comfortable bed. Restaurant adjacent expensive however a few decent places to eat in the nearby locality. Happy hour (free beer) in the afternoon nice touch. Free wifi was offered if you supplied your email address. We had a good deal at this hotel so no complaints

Room Tip: Higher floors to avoid garbage truck and street noise early morning
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank vicsta21
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Hey there vicsta21!
Thanks for choosing the Max and for sharing your review with TripAdvisor. Happy to hear that you found the room to be clean and our beds comfortable. So important when traveling so far away from home. Additionally, glad to hear that you enjoyed our craft beer hour. We love giving our guests a taste of Seattle when they come to visit.
Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Max

Reviewed 27 May 2014

the rooms are quite small, but comparable to the small rooms I have gotten in other large cities (New York city has small rooms too). the staff at this hotel is the friendliest and most accommodating I have ever seen. Check in was very fast and the bellman was very nice. when we got to the room, it was small with a stall shower. But it is the only hotel I have ever been in that had a "pillow menu", which was very helpful as my wife needed a body pillow, which was brought up promptly after calling the "I want it" hotline on the room phone. My favorite part of my 3 days at hotel max had to be the beer happy hour in the lobby. Who doesn't love free craft beer? the management person that pours the keg was very friendly and knowledgeable about the local beers he was pouring. More hotels should embrace the growing number of craft beer lovers, especially in a city with so many craft breweries. the staff at the front desk (which has a pink gumball machine with free gumballs) were also great, they got us a cab and were so friendly.

2  Thank bjcooke1
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hey there bjcooke1!
Thanks for the rocking four bubble review! We are blushing with all of the compliments. Our team will be so thrilled to hear your kind words.
While we know our rooms are on the smaller side we appreciate you acknowledging that we aren't the only ones out there. We love who we are and our proud of our history. Truly one of a kind!
Again, thank you for staying and taking the time to share your experience. We cannot wait to welcome you and your wife back to the Max.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I agree with reviewers that gave this hotel a bad review and those that gave it a good review. At the end it all depends on what you paid, your preferences and your alternative options.

Our window blinds did not allow any privacy if open or light to come in if drawn as they only were the kind that darkens and blocks all light. Some sheer ones would be nice . The windows looked directly into other guest rooms and thus everyone had them drawn for privacy.

We had a constant symphony of noises from the outside as well as the air ventilation and the little refrigerator in the room. They seem to know this as they have complementary ear plugs by the bedside which were needed.

This hotel is not for those that suffer claustrophobia. The so called closet was the smallest we had ever seen anywhere. The hangers can only fit sideways as it was only a few inches in depth.

The room even when on a high floor smelled at all hours like the kitchen of the restaurant on the ground floor.
The room only had one robe but we were two people.
I suppose we could have asked for a second one.

We had the small tub/ shower 15 ft2 but no sink in one small closet type room and the toilet and sink in another closet sized room  of also 15 ft2 but just one soap for two people and two bathrooms. We could have asked for another piece and we could have asked for another room but we were tired from our trip.
We were told on arrival we had one of the bigger rooms, so it pre empted asking for a change. The large bed takes up 70% of the room.

We paid a 4 star hotel rate, so not cheap at all and the only parking the hotel offers costs over $40 including taxes. On a positive note the people seemto be very nice and professional and everything was very clean and the complementary tea bags were of good quality but as for value and location you can find better values in Seattle for the same cost.

Perhaps if you are a single person with little baggage, no car , do not mind using ear plugs to sleep , do not mind having very little space, and got a really good deal, this is a good option.

3  Thank Enrico P

Hello there Enrico P.,
Thanks for staying with us at the Max and for sharing your thoughts with TripAdvisor. I must say that I'm very happy to hear your feedback about our team and the overall cleanliness of the hotel. They work very hard each day to ensure that we provide great guest service and a clean room.
On the other hand, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find value in your stay. We strive to provide our guests with unique Seattle focused options such as our complimentary craft beer hour and amazing restaurant. We are also in the process of revitalizing our minibars to focus on local products. We know that we aren't the right hotel for everyone and I think that your review provided good insight for future travelers who want to stay and experience the Max for what it is. An older Seattle hotel that is proud of it's city and focuses on supporting and partnering with amazing local vendors.
Again, thank you for your time!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We arrived here early morning from a flight from Hawaii. We were here two nights pre cruise and the up grade room was not ready until 11am. We went just along the street to the very good Starbucks which was very busy and had WIFI. We went back to the Max and waited in the lobby until our room was ready,the room was excellent,good bed ,good Wifi and a view of the court house. We went out again at 1pm for the Seattle tour.
I liked this hotel as it is very near to everything you need in Seattle.

Room Tip: do upgrade
1  Thank alexanderSpain
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Hey there alexanderSpain!
Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know about your recent Max experience. We couldn't be happier to hear that you enjoyed your room and the view over looking the courthouse. So pretty at night!
Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay and cannot wait to welcome you back. Happy sailing!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed over the memorial day long weekend with my sister and we found ourselves having mixed emotions about this hotel. It has a great location and friendly helpful staff, but on the other hand the rooms are super tiny and the bathrooms are the size of a small closet. The beds are very hard and I found it almost impossible to get comfortable. Some other reviews found the hotel to be noisy but I didn't have that issue at all, only noise was that of a regular downtown setting. Also had to deal with long wait times to use an elevator (stairs are not an option when you have luggage). For my next trip to Seattle I will not be staying at Hotel Max, there are much nicer hotels at the same price point.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DelilahL231

Hey there Della L.!
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Max! We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our central location and found our team to be very friendly. Our team works so hard to ensure all of our guest's satisfaction. On the other hand, I'm sorry to read that you our room didn't meet your expectations. We definitely have some unique room layouts. It's one of the things we love about our property but recognize that it's not for everyone.
Again, thank you for staying with us this Memorial Day weekend.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

When we arrived they were pouring free local beer. Focus on security starts when you enter the elevator which requires a room key to get to your floor. The rooms are cozy and bright. They had a Pillow Menu which I loved with a choice of pillows. Once you have made your selection all you needed to do was send a text and they arrived right away. The hotel is within walking distance to the famous Fish Market and the monorail to the Space Needle. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank AntNikki

Hello there AntNikki!
Thank you so much for the rave five bubble review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your Max experience as well as our amenity programs. We love engaging with our guests!
All in all, we cannot wait to welcome you back. We are working on some cool stuff so looking forward to sharing with you.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I had stayed at this property years ago when it was the Hotel Vance. It has certainly changed tremendously since then.

Fully modernized, the only interior aspect not changed is the lobby ceiling.

I stayed on the Sub Pop floor, which was decorated with various scenes of Seattle and Northwest music icons and moments, which I thought was a terrific homage. The art in my room and the turntable made my stay that much more special.

What I wasn't expecting was a view of the Space Needle. I suppose it will vanish once Amazon's headquarters is completed down the street, but ask for a western-most north-facing room to check out this view.

The staff was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. I appreciate this incredibly. Even when I thought I'd check out the restaurant and was dismayed by the prices (entrees start at 43 bucks), the waitress was kind enough to let me know it's okay if I chose somewhere else to eat.

As for location, this cannot get any better. Hotel Max is very close to Westlake Center, Pike Place Market and Capitol Hill.

The hotel was able to store my bags after checkout and this was done efficiently and professionally. Again, the same level of great service I appreciate.

Room Tip: Western-most rooms facing north have view of Space Needle. For now.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CalgaryWolf

Hello there wcub!
Thanks so much for returning and for sharing your comments and feedback with TripAdvisor. We love hearing from guests who have stayed with us when were the Vance. As you mentioned a lot of changes have happened since then with many more to com.
We loved hearing about how much you loved our Sub Pop floor and your surprise view of the Space Needle. We too feel like the view will disappear once Amazon's HQ are completed. For the time being though we are enjoying every clear day.
Again, thanks so much for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon!