“GREAT Service, but my corner room was far too noisy...”
Review of Hotel Max

Hotel Max
Ranked #33 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Vancouver, Washington
“GREAT Service, but my corner room was far too noisy...”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was torn between giving them 3 stars or 4 - I'm going with 4 because of the great service. I stayed for 3 nights during a business trip. We had a big group all staying at the hotel and there was a handwritten card from the owner in each of our rooms, welcoming us to the hotel. We also received a large bottle of beer and a Hotel Max branded bottle opener with the card. The free happy hour beer in the lobby was great. They had a problem with the tap towards the end of the first night and instead of turning people away they started opening bottles to continue to serve everyone. The rooms were very small but I didn't mind. The bed was very comfortable - which is always the most important thing to me. The price was very reasonable for it's location in Seattle and what you receive.
There were 2 things I did not like: the bathroom doesn't really have a counter, it has a thin glass shelf above the sink at chest level, and mine was slanted toward the ground. My belongings either didn't fit on the shelf or would slide off onto the floor constantly. Lastly, I was in a corner room, and the walls and/or windows did not protect me from any noise. I was woken up every night at 3 or 4 in the morning when a very loud vehicle drove up (garbage truck?) and made a ridiculous amount of noise. The first night I was woken up several times by buses as well. There were earplugs on my nightstand and I definitely needed them, but I still couldn't sleep undisturbed through the night. If you are a light sleeper I would definitely ask for a room in the center of the hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very loud and hard to sleep in.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hello there Max-Jessica A.,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time share your feedback with TripAdvisor. While we are elated to receive a four bubble review I am sorry to read that you didn't have a restful night sleep during your stay. We try very hard to ensure our guests have a comfortable evening. Please know that team was so excited to hear that their hard work was the tipping point in getting us a four bubble review. I've also located the room you stayed in and am having our Engineering team look at the bathroom counter and adjust so that future guests aren't inconvenienced.
Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
kevin.scott@hotelmaxsseattle.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
Fleet, Hampshire
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Loved my stay at the Max. The room was a good size - especially just for me - and was well equipped including bathrobes and some other nice little touches. it was spotlessly clean.

My room was to the side on the third floor so did not have a view - well a view of some brick walls which was the only negative for me.

The Max prides itself on its artistic approach. There are some wonderful photographs on the room doors, in the room itself and throughout the hotel.

Reception staff were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable - pointing towards some great things to do, good restaurants and which tourist traps to avoid - and they were right.

A really nice touch was the free beer served in the lobby everyday from 5.30 til 6.30 and featuring local breweries - very nice after a hard days sightseeing!

The location is great being reasonably close to the main waterfront and just a short walk to the trolley to Lake Union and the Monorail.

Great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank rexbarker
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hey there rexbarker!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for the glowing TripAdvisor review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your Max experience. As a top contributor for TA you've definitely completed your fair share of reviews so it makes us feel that much better to receive five bubbles. We truly appreciate the compliments about our team (Front Desk and Housekeeping), our artistic vibe and central location.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Leduc, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you don't plan on spending much time in your room or don't have to share a room or a bed then I do recommend this hotel. Great location, great great service. I don't remember the name of the restaurant that is connected but it was fabulous.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hello there divallyn!
Thank you for staying with us at the Max and for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. While I wish your bubble rating was higher I have to agree completely with your review. Our rooms are smaller than usual and we are not a cookie cutter hotel so each room series is different. We believe that is what makes us special and by offering additional amenities we make such great connections with our guests. Please note that we do have larger rooms available and would love to have you stay and experience one of those upon your next visit. Let me know if I can assist in arranging for you.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I came down to see Derek Jeter's final game in our beautiful city and that day was UW graduation etc etc, it was 5:30pm and needless to say traffic was worse than ever! I could not get into the valet lane for the hotel , I called and talked to Samuel ( what a gem ) he talked too me for the entire 25 minutes it took me to get around the block and waklked me into the alley to get out of the nightmare.

The valet warmly greeted me, grabbed my bags and walked me into the beautiful hotel.
Samual said hello and told me I was already to go, and handed me an ice cold craft beer ( they were having a tasting even) and told me to go relax :) he was just great!!

My room was on the top floor corner room and could clearly see the needle, the room is bright and welcoming, it is a little small , but I am not complaining at all!! I love the black and white classic photos on the room doors, the bed was extreamly comfy.

After the game I grabbed a rickshaw and went into the hotel bar, very classy, and wonderful service , ordered a drink and went up to my room enjoyed a hot bath and that beautiful view.

I would highly recommed this place it was my 1st solo trip, just a few blocks to light rail, Westlake Center is right there. The next morning I cruised right up to Pike street.

Room Tip: I asked for a high floor with a city view in my reservation request and they made it happen. When I...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hello there Stefani B.,
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your Max experience with TripAdvisor. I'm beyond thrilled to hear that Samuel was able to help navigate you through the traffic into our side alley. With a major accident on one of the highways through Seattle that was supposedly the worst traffic in Seattle's history. Again, so happy to hear that Samuel was available and got you hooked up with a craft beer upon your arrival.
Additionally, thank you for highlighting our restaurant, location and art theme. #blushing
All in all, thank you for your time and your rave review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a nice, modern hotel with an excellent location. The staff is very curteous and professional and we enjoyed our stay. The elevators are a little slow and very small but that is normal for an older, converted building. The decor is cool and we were able to walk to all of the big Seattle attractions with no problem. There are also lots of stores and restaurants close by. Excellent customer service, too.

Room Tip: Stay on the higher floors if possible. Allow extra time for the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello there Sadie H.,
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback with TripAdvisor. We love receiving the kudos and taking the time to highlight our location and team. At the same time, we appreciate you acknowledging our older building and the challenges we face. We believe in providing our guests with a local Seattle experience with emphasis on a heavenly bed, great food and tasty craft beer.
Again, thank you so much and we cannot wait to welcome you back.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hotel tries hard to be trendy & fun. Beds are comfortable. Free beer in the lobby in afternoon is a nice welcome.

In recognition of downtown location and thin walls, the hotel supplies free earplugs.

Bathroom was the same size as what you find on an airplane. Shower was 26 x 26 inches.

Paying more than $40 to park for one night seems excessive.

Room Tip: Get on 8th floor or higher. Use the earplugs. Run the room fan to drown out neighbours noises.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ccb1951
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hello there ccb1951!
Thank you so much for staying with us at Hotel Max and for the feedback provided. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our beds and our craft beer hour. We believe a great night sleep and a tasty pint can go a long way to making an unforgettable experience. Parking costs in Seattle are high. I suggest taking a look at our Local's Parking Package on our website. It's a great alternative if you are local and driving in.
Again, thank you for your time and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back!