“Great location, great rooms bar the shower.”
Review of Hotel Max

Hotel Max
Ranked #34 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Fantastic location within walking distance of many Seattle attractions. The hotel is very modern, with craft beer available in the afternoon. Valet parking was great. Watch out for the showerheads in accessible rooms (we didn't know our room was accessible), the pressure is awful. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hey there mchannah!
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Max and for taking the time to share your comments with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate the kudos on our location, our decor, craft beer hour and Valet team. We are very proud of our history and the job our team does. Truly appreciate the heads up about the pressure in your room. I've asked our Engineering team to test the water pressure in each of our accessible rooms.
Again, thank you for your comments and for staying with us. We cannot wait to welcome you back!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Max

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel was in a good central location, the staff were extremely helpful and the free evening beer was a very nice touch. My wife and I really enjoyed our two night stay but our room was a little small though.

1  Thank Kwacka
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hello there Kwacka!
Thank you so much for the kind note and for staying with us on your recent trip to Seattle. We couldn't be happier to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your Max experience. Furthermore, the team will be so thrilled to hear your feedback about the service they provided as well as the tasty pints available in our lobby.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The best thing about this hotel is its location: just 10 mins walk from Pike Place market, and all the Downtown shopping on your doorstep. It’s also reasonably priced and staff are friendly and helpful.
It’s a little worn out, though. When it opened, the rock ‘n’ roll themed rooms must have seemed like a cool idea... and staying here may well have been a novel and interesting experience. Unfortunately, neither the theme nor the decor have aged well. All that red and black paintwork, intended to lend an edgy and moody feel, just make the small rooms and corridors feel dark, gloomy and dirty.
And unfortunately that’s not just your imagination; the elevators and common areas ARE rather dirty. There are scuffed carpets, peeling paint on woodwork and fingerprints/grime everywhere you look. The rooms are OK, at least.
Arguably, of course, this is entirely in keeping with the grunge, rock ‘n’ roll vibe. Well, maybe. But I expect Mick Jagger employs a cleaner/handyman these days.
Other gripes: the wash basins are tiny and uncomfortable; it’s impossible to wash your face without making a godawful mess of the bathroom. Also, there is no sound insulation between rooms. Every sneeze, laugh and comment from your next door neighbours is faithfully transmitted through the walls.
Having said all that, I’d go back: the good just about outweighs the bad. But dear God, it needs a lick of new paint. Go on, management: Give the place a bloody good redecoration. It really, really needs it... and you know it.

Hello there praskovya!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know a little bit about your recent experience. I love your candidness and agree that we need to enhance some areas. Please know we are in the final stages of designing a lobby/elevator refresh. We are so excited and cannot wait for our future guests to experience.
I'm sorry to read about the issues you had with our Housekeeping team. I believe this to be an anomaly as our team really strives for perfection when it comes to cleanliness.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to experience the refreshed Max.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was torn between giving them 3 stars or 4 - I'm going with 4 because of the great service. I stayed for 3 nights during a business trip. We had a big group all staying at the hotel and there was a handwritten card from the owner in each of our rooms, welcoming us to the hotel. We also received a large bottle of beer and a Hotel Max branded bottle opener with the card. The free happy hour beer in the lobby was great. They had a problem with the tap towards the end of the first night and instead of turning people away they started opening bottles to continue to serve everyone. The rooms were very small but I didn't mind. The bed was very comfortable - which is always the most important thing to me. The price was very reasonable for it's location in Seattle and what you receive.
There were 2 things I did not like: the bathroom doesn't really have a counter, it has a thin glass shelf above the sink at chest level, and mine was slanted toward the ground. My belongings either didn't fit on the shelf or would slide off onto the floor constantly. Lastly, I was in a corner room, and the walls and/or windows did not protect me from any noise. I was woken up every night at 3 or 4 in the morning when a very loud vehicle drove up (garbage truck?) and made a ridiculous amount of noise. The first night I was woken up several times by buses as well. There were earplugs on my nightstand and I definitely needed them, but I still couldn't sleep undisturbed through the night. If you are a light sleeper I would definitely ask for a room in the center of the hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very loud and hard to sleep in.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello there Max-Jessica A.,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time share your feedback with TripAdvisor. While we are elated to receive a four bubble review I am sorry to read that you didn't have a restful night sleep during your stay. We try very hard to ensure our guests have a comfortable evening. Please know that team was so excited to hear that their hard work was the tipping point in getting us a four bubble review. I've also located the room you stayed in and am having our Engineering team look at the bathroom counter and adjust so that future guests aren't inconvenienced.
Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
kevin.scott@hotelmaxsseattle.com

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Loved my stay at the Max. The room was a good size - especially just for me - and was well equipped including bathrobes and some other nice little touches. it was spotlessly clean.

My room was to the side on the third floor so did not have a view - well a view of some brick walls which was the only negative for me.

The Max prides itself on its artistic approach. There are some wonderful photographs on the room doors, in the room itself and throughout the hotel.

Reception staff were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable - pointing towards some great things to do, good restaurants and which tourist traps to avoid - and they were right.

A really nice touch was the free beer served in the lobby everyday from 5.30 til 6.30 and featuring local breweries - very nice after a hard days sightseeing!

The location is great being reasonably close to the main waterfront and just a short walk to the trolley to Lake Union and the Monorail.

Great place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank rexbarker

Hey there rexbarker!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for the glowing TripAdvisor review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your Max experience. As a top contributor for TA you've definitely completed your fair share of reviews so it makes us feel that much better to receive five bubbles. We truly appreciate the compliments about our team (Front Desk and Housekeeping), our artistic vibe and central location.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you don't plan on spending much time in your room or don't have to share a room or a bed then I do recommend this hotel. Great location, great great service. I don't remember the name of the restaurant that is connected but it was fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Hello there divallyn!
Thank you for staying with us at the Max and for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. While I wish your bubble rating was higher I have to agree completely with your review. Our rooms are smaller than usual and we are not a cookie cutter hotel so each room series is different. We believe that is what makes us special and by offering additional amenities we make such great connections with our guests. Please note that we do have larger rooms available and would love to have you stay and experience one of those upon your next visit. Let me know if I can assist in arranging for you.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I came down to see Derek Jeter's final game in our beautiful city and that day was UW graduation etc etc, it was 5:30pm and needless to say traffic was worse than ever! I could not get into the valet lane for the hotel , I called and talked to Samuel ( what a gem ) he talked too me for the entire 25 minutes it took me to get around the block and waklked me into the alley to get out of the nightmare.

The valet warmly greeted me, grabbed my bags and walked me into the beautiful hotel.
Samual said hello and told me I was already to go, and handed me an ice cold craft beer ( they were having a tasting even) and told me to go relax :) he was just great!!

My room was on the top floor corner room and could clearly see the needle, the room is bright and welcoming, it is a little small , but I am not complaining at all!! I love the black and white classic photos on the room doors, the bed was extreamly comfy.

After the game I grabbed a rickshaw and went into the hotel bar, very classy, and wonderful service , ordered a drink and went up to my room enjoyed a hot bath and that beautiful view.

I would highly recommed this place it was my 1st solo trip, just a few blocks to light rail, Westlake Center is right there. The next morning I cruised right up to Pike street.

Room Tip: I asked for a high floor with a city view in my reservation request and they made it happen. When I...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hello there Stefani B.,
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your Max experience with TripAdvisor. I'm beyond thrilled to hear that Samuel was able to help navigate you through the traffic into our side alley. With a major accident on one of the highways through Seattle that was supposedly the worst traffic in Seattle's history. Again, so happy to hear that Samuel was available and got you hooked up with a craft beer upon your arrival.
Additionally, thank you for highlighting our restaurant, location and art theme. #blushing
All in all, thank you for your time and your rave review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.