“Tiny is generous”
Review of Hotel Max

Hotel Max
Ranked #36 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Small only describes our bathroom at Hotel Max if it is preceded by infinitesimally. I've stayed in small rooms in Manhattan and Europe and the Hotel Max bathroom wins the prize for smallest. It was impossible to properly use shampoo and soap - and I'm 6', 162 pounds. I paid almost $300 a night after taxes, and a bathroom this size is simply not even ethical at that price. It's a shame, because the restaurant next door is a stand-out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hey there mplstravel!
Thank you for choosing the Max on your recent travels to Seattle. As I continuously mention we don't have the biggest bathrooms or rooms around and definitely not in Seattle. As a building built in 1926 we take pride in the history of our hotel and it's story. We believe in focusing our efforts on ensuring our guests receive a great bed, clean room and get to experience some amazing local vendors that we support through art, music, food and drink. Ultimately, I'm sorry that we missed delivering this overall experience.
Again, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments with TripAdvisor.
Regards,
kevin.scott@hotelmaxseattle.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,394)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Tries hard to be a trendy, clever boutique hotel. But ultimately is just OK.

Lobby and hallways are extremely dark, which isn't very inviting. Rooms are tiny by US hotel standards, with a phenomenally tiny shower stall. Earplugs on the nightstand are a disconcerting recognition of noise in the hotel and on the surrounding streets, although it was ultimately quieter than I expected. If you are into art there is plenty throughout the hotel.

Positives: Staff is friendly and efficient. Bed was extremely comfortable, and it's possible to request different pillow types through the desk. Higher end bathroom amenities. Whimsical touches in the room.

Ultimately for me - interesting, but certainly not worth the high price charged.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank kevin_from_AKandCO

Hello there kevin_from_AKandCO!
Thank you for choosing the Max on your recent visit to Seattle and for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor. Reading your positive comments ensures me that we are headed in the right direction. We know we've got smaller rooms and baths. We believe that is one of the unique characteristics of our hotel that make us different and we like it that way.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back down the road.
Regards,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon and were pleasantly surprised. We were happily greeted by the door man upon arriving. Made our way to the front desk and were immediately greeted with a smile and a fast check in. It was very kind and a nice touch to receive a complimentary bottle of champagne as well as the room being very nice. The artwork on the walls and doors is a nice touch. They also have a free craft beer hour in the lobby which is amazing. I have stayed at many hotels in Seattle and 10/10 would definitely choose Hotel Max again.

Hello there JCFriss,
Congrats! We are thrilled to have an opportunity to host you and your new wife on your recent honeymoon. Thank you so much for the feedback regarding your experience. Our team will be over the moon to hear that their thoughtful gesture aided in the celebration.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your story and we cannot wait to welcome you back. Possibly for your anniversary? If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at the Hotel Max at the beginning of a Pacific Northwest/Canadian vacation to celebrate my birthday. I chose Hotel Max for a variety of reasons:
1) having stayed here back in 2007, I knew the hotel was very conveniently located.
2) PRICE! The Hotel Max was probably one of the least expensive hotels we researched that met our criteria of cleanliness/convenience/conformability/craft beer Happy Hour!
3) The right amount of character without going “overboard”.
Oh… and I must add the Sky Train station is literally steps away – making for a very cheap ride to and from the airport.

The Max advertises that, like any other rock star, guests can provide a “rider” of wants and requests. I emailed the hotel ahead of time mentioning that we would be celebrating my birthday and to my surprise (!) a bottle of champagne and chocolates we waiting in the room! A very nice touch and a great kick off to our vacation! I found the hotel has improved in a few areas since my first visit 7 years ago… the bathroom products were updated and the lobby & rooms were still immaculately maintained. Our 7th floor corner room was small but cozy & efficient. The beds are extremely comfortable and the robes are phenomenal! If I could have fit one in my suitcase, I would have had no trouble forking over the $125 to take one home. Seriously. Best. Robe. Ever.

Once again, I was highly satisfied and even wowed by this funky little hotel. I’m actually disappointed we didn’t book the Max for the last night of our vacation before flying out of SEA-TAC, instead we chose the Hotel Five for a change of scenery (please see my review for compare and contrast). I can safely say, the next time our adventures bring us back to Seattle, my first choice will hands down, be the Hotel Max.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hey there bethy2120!
Happy belated birthday Rock Star! We couldn't be happier to host you and your husband for a return trip to the PNW. I must thank you for highlighting our Rock Star Rider program and suggesting future guests to share with us a little bit about their stay prior to their arrival. We absolutely love personalizing our guests experiences and take great pride in the amenity ideas we've come up with.
Overall, thank you for the glowing review and we cannot wait to welcome you and your husband back down the road. If I can be of any assistance moving forward please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

A nice hotel in an excellent location downtown Seattle! The staff were incredibly friendly and very welcoming. The rooms are on the small side and my room was noisy early in the morning due to construction outside, but ear phones were provided, which was a nice touch. Overall this is a good option in Seattle for a single person on business or looking to explore the city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello there brandon52!
Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent trip to Seattle. Additionally, thank you for sharing your feedback with TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate the kind words about our team. They will be so happy to hear that their hard work is paying off. Also, glad to hear that the earplugs came in handy. Being in a downtown location it can sometimes be noisier than we know you'd like which is why we provide them for you.
Again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Fantastic location within walking distance of many Seattle attractions. The hotel is very modern, with craft beer available in the afternoon. Valet parking was great. Watch out for the showerheads in accessible rooms (we didn't know our room was accessible), the pressure is awful. Would definitely stay again.

Hey there mchannah!
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Max and for taking the time to share your comments with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate the kudos on our location, our decor, craft beer hour and Valet team. We are very proud of our history and the job our team does. Truly appreciate the heads up about the pressure in your room. I've asked our Engineering team to test the water pressure in each of our accessible rooms.
Again, thank you for your comments and for staying with us. We cannot wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel was in a good central location, the staff were extremely helpful and the free evening beer was a very nice touch. My wife and I really enjoyed our two night stay but our room was a little small though.

1  Thank Kwacka
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hello there Kwacka!
Thank you so much for the kind note and for staying with us on your recent trip to Seattle. We couldn't be happier to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your Max experience. Furthermore, the team will be so thrilled to hear your feedback about the service they provided as well as the tasty pints available in our lobby.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!