“Beautiful hotel, great service, great location, small rooms.”
Review of Hotel Max

Hotel Max
Ranked #33 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
“Beautiful hotel, great service, great location, small rooms.”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our stay was great, staff was friendly, hotel is beautiful. The rooms are small, however this is due to the fact that this is an old hotel that was remodeled. From 530 to 630 every evening they serve free draughts of local craft beer to guests. The attached restaurant, Millers Guild, is very nice (somewhat pricey) and has a great vibe. This hotel is only a block or two away from the Westlake Light Link station and the monorail that takes you to the space needle which was so so convenient. I feel that the room rate was a little steep for the size of the rooms, but other than that I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank kristinmarie11
Hello there kristinmarie11!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts with TripAdvisor. We love hearing that you enjoyed your experience and found our team to be helpful and our hotel beautiful. We are so proud of our history, architecture, design and our brilliant team. They truly make the Max shine.
Again, we just loved hearing your feedback and cannot wait to welcome you back in the future.
kevin.scott@hotelmaxseattle.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Max for two nights and was very pleased with it. The decor and scene are hip but not pretentious. The staff were warm and welcoming. The room was very small but a good deal for the price and convenient location.

1 Thank Janichic
Hello there Janichic,
Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent trip to Seattle and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our team to be warm and welcoming. We are so proud of them and jobs they do each and every day.
Again, thank you taking the time to share your story and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Oakland, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I'm an experienced traveler - both for business and for fun and I've stayed in a lot of hotels in a lot of locales. This one really exceeded my expectations. First, it's very hip and cool - decor, restaurant/bar, ambiance were all on point. Second, every single person I interacted with there was warm, friendly and helpful. Third, they have all these little touches to make you feel welcome - like free craft beer in the lobby every night and a pillow menu in your room. Fourth, in-room record player and records (!!!).
I come to Seattle a lot for business and I will definitely be back. Thanks, Hotel Max!

Room Tip: The 5th floor is an homage to the famous Seattle record label Sup-pop and each room has a record pla...
2 Thank ctm19
Hello there ctm19!
Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent trip to Seattle and for taking the time to share your story with TripAdvisor. We are beyond stoked to hear how much you enjoyed our property, the vibe, our team and our unique value adds (Sub Pop floor and Craft Beer Hour). We are happy to bring provide and cannot wait to welcome you back as we have many other great things in the works.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thought and look forward to seeing you soon.
Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Hotel Max is a boutique-style hotel conveniently located in downtown Seattle. The property has a hip, fun feel to it and is an alternative to the larger chain hotels in the area which support the downtown business and convention market. I've stayed at the Max several times and the price point tends to be below the larger properties and there is often availability at the Max when other properties are sold out.

I enjoy the feel of the property but, as boutique hotels go, I have to say that the experience is not as crisp as one might expect for a smaller property. The staff is pleasant but there's just not the sharp level of professionalism that I find at other boutique properties. I call this a "NY Size" hotel because the rooms at the Max are very small and generally more like one finds in NYC or Europe - room for a bed, desk and a small shower. It's an older building which has been renovated so HVAC is via window units. The rooms on the lower floors can be disrupted with street noise, particularly in the morning. WiFi service was good but there is a fee unless you sign up for the frequent guest program.

This isn't really a property with integrated room service but rather take-out from the restaurant on the ground floor. Thankfully, the former sushi restaurant was replaced with a steak place (love sushi, but not generally what I crave for room service!). The one room service meal that I had was tasty and delivery okay. I also ate at the bar of the restaurant one night but that should be a separate review.

When I say that the service was not crisp, I'm referring to things like - the decorative bed pillow was left on the floor, the bathroom had a paper cup with a sponge in it from the cleaning crew (for 2 days), the sheets were not changed even though I left he card to do so, the check-in person was carrying on a conversation with a staff person at the same time that he was working on my check-in....things like that. Not deal killers and the staff are friendly, but the execution could be better.

Room Tip: Lower floors can have a lot of street noise.
1 Thank dlscps
Hello there dlscps,
Welcome back and thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience on TripAdvisor. While we are happy to hear your comments on our location, style and overall value I'm truly sorry to read your comments about the lack of crispness. We strive to provide each of our guests with exactly that so I take full responsibility for this oversight. I would love more details that I can share with our team. Ultimately, we can learn from this fault, implement process improvement and ensure that it doesn't repeat itself. I hope to hear from you and thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.
Waikiki6
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The elevator was extremely small. I rode up with 3 others, and not one of us had an "extra" 5lbs. on us! We were squeezed in like sardines. 2 people and a carry on suitcase could fit, but not with a large suitcase.

The rooms followed suit. These rooms are really good for one person forshort stays, like a nite or two. Keep the shades pulled down or others can see right in.

The hotel, in my opinion, is hugely overpriced for what you get.

1 Thank Waikiki6
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Hello there Waikiki6!
Thanks for staying with us at the Max and for sharing your comments with TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear your comments and more over that your rating was largely due to our smaller than average elevators. We understand our building's physical limitations which is why we focus so heavily on providing our guests with an unbeatable location, a comfy bed, personalized service, an amazing restaurant and a complimentary craft beer hour. Please know that we strive to provide our guests with a locally focused Seattle experience than encompasses overall value. I'm truly sorry that we didn't accomplish this goal this time around.
Again, thank you for your comments and for choosing the Max.
Urbandale, Iowa
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Hotel Max is very nicely located in downtown Seattle. We were able to walk to the Space Needle, Pike's Place Market, Pioneer Square, and the waterfront from the hotel. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The nightly happy hour was very low-key and enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this hotel even though I found the room to be a bit small.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the 2nd and 6th floor. Both were quiet. So I'm not sure if a tip is necessary.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeckyOnTheGo
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hello there BeckyOnTheGo!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience and thrilled to read that you found our location, team and craft beer hour to all be positive factors when providing your feedback. We know we've got smaller than usual rooms and our team works so hard to highlight all of the great aspects of our property. First and foremost being our team.
Again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

A great city center hotel. Easy access to everything in the city as well as the airport (a 15-20 minute taxi or limo ride, or use the metro light rail 35-40 minutes). An old hotel (opened in 1926) with all the charm, architecture and interesting history of an older hotel. The rooms are naturally smaller consistent with hotels constructed over 85 years ago, but nicely updated and modernized. Service is excellent with the staff really happy to help and pleasant. Overall, a great hotel for a city center stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hey there Jan S.,
Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent trip to Seattle. Moreover, we appreciate you sharing your story with TripAdvisor. We loved reading your comments and must commend you for your knowledge of hotel architecture as you were spot on. Our team will be delighted to hear your comments about their service as they are truly what make the Max shine.
Again, thanks for sharing your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.