“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #32 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

After reading some the reviews I was expecting a very small room in a dated hotel, however the room was reasonably large, a modest (but very cute) bathroom. I was on the 9th floor - 901 - which is RIGHT next to the elevators. I did require earplugs during the night as the older style elevators are fairly loud, but with earplugs I wasn't disturbed too much. However the bed placement might take some looking at - as the head of the bed is right against the wall of the elevator shaft.

I arrived around 11:30pm and the check in staff were great - there was some confusion about what room I was booked into - which revealed itself when I got to the room.

In turned out the windows in the room had been left open during the day, while it rained, and all of the carpet along that side of the room was saturated. I called down to the frontdesk who said they would send up housekeeping (and were already aware of the issue and apologised as they thought it had been addressed - but was obviously the cause of confusion at check-in, disappointing they didn't move us into another room immediately, because there was a larger room available), however as it was 11:45pm at this stage, I declined... consequently the room began to smell a bit like wet dog over the next 2-3 days.

The hotel restaurant was great and had a good range of beer on tap. Every staff member I interacted with was friendly and helpful and I would stay again.

Only a small issue - as this is an older building the elevators are teeny tiny and there are no service elevators for staff. If there are 3-4 people with luggage waiting for a lift in front of you, you may be stuck for 10-15mins waiting to get to your room. It would be great if staff would help coordinate getting bags up to the rooms a little more proactively, to allow guests to use the elevators more freely - 15mins is a long time to wait just because the group in front have suitcases. Otherwise stay on a lower floor and use the stairs!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hello there RachelGeee!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your story on TripAdvisor. We are so thrilled to hear that you were pleasantly surprised. Additionally, thank you for the information on your room. I'll be looking into whether or not we can modify the room layout of that particular room. Please know that we are working with the entire team to better utilize the elevators and encourage our team to take the stairs when available.
Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.
kevin.scott@hotelmaxseattle.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I had a nice stay here. It's in a good spot in Seattle and the hotel is pretty trendy itself. The staff was nice and the rooms were well decorated and clean. I'd definitely go back. Would recommend to friends as well!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hello there Mandy C.!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We truly appreciate the feedback and are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be nice and welcoming. Love that you found our property to be trendy and clean. We are very proud of our Housekeeping team and the work they do.
Again, thank you for staying with us and we look for welcome you and your friends to the Max in the future.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The location is outstanding as you can take the light rail to 6th and Pine for less than $3 per person. from Seatac. Hotel Max is located within walking distance of most all major sightseeing items. I used Lyft for the 1st time and it was really cool to Kerry Park for $8. The staff are extremely helpful , professional, and very kind. I was able to get a cot ahead of time for free from the manager for my 11 y/o son. The rooms were very clean but some might be a tad small. But honestly you are supposed to sleep in it and tour most of the day. The have a trendy bar with awesome beer made locally. We got free wi-fi but .44 Mbps is kinda slow in Seattle (fiber)but I am spoiled at 100M U/D with fiber to the home in Korea. The elevators are small and can be a little noisy if you have an adjacent room. I was able to book the room at an outstanding rate and the value for the room and all the benefits are impossible to match. I would advice you to stay here if you are interested in value/cost. It is not theTaj Mahal by any means but it is a cool, trendy, hip style hotel that is an awesome ROI on your dollar.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator >.<
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Hey there John B.
Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your five bubble review and story with TripAdvisor. Truly appreciate your kind words about our location, team and overall value. Three things we are very proud of. Also, thank you for the heads up on the bandwidth. I'll have our IT team look into it as we recently upgraded our network.
Again, thank you so much for staying with us and I hope that you and your son had a great time enjoying the city. We cannot wait to welcome you back!
Auckland
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After reading other reviews I was a little worried that this was one of the only hotels we could book for our trip to Seattle. We arrived at 11pm to be better by two friendly front desk staff and we promptly checked in. We are given room 901 which when we arrived in was much more spacious than anticipated. There was plenty of space for my wife and I to be comfortable. Yes the bathroom was small but by no means unusable.

We were directly behind the lifts which did mask old building creaks and groans but once we put in the supplied ear plugs it was not a problem.

As other reviews waiting for the lifts can sometimes get about tedious but not a deal breaker for me.

The craft beer hour is a nice touch and well appreciated.

All staff I met were very helpful and nothing was a problem. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hello there Distant_Scott!
Thank you so much for choosing the Max on your recent trip to Seattle! We are thrilled to have you share your experience with TripAdvisor and are so pleased to hear your comments about our team, our craft beer hour and, of course, our rooms. We completely agree and believe they have great design and functionality to them.
Again, thank you for staying with us and we cannot wait to welcome you back to the Max!
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our stay was great, staff was friendly, hotel is beautiful. The rooms are small, however this is due to the fact that this is an old hotel that was remodeled. From 530 to 630 every evening they serve free draughts of local craft beer to guests. The attached restaurant, Millers Guild, is very nice (somewhat pricey) and has a great vibe. This hotel is only a block or two away from the Westlake Light Link station and the monorail that takes you to the space needle which was so so convenient. I feel that the room rate was a little steep for the size of the rooms, but other than that I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank kristinmarie11
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello there kristinmarie11!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts with TripAdvisor. We love hearing that you enjoyed your experience and found our team to be helpful and our hotel beautiful. We are so proud of our history, architecture, design and our brilliant team. They truly make the Max shine.
Again, we just loved hearing your feedback and cannot wait to welcome you back in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Max for two nights and was very pleased with it. The decor and scene are hip but not pretentious. The staff were warm and welcoming. The room was very small but a good deal for the price and convenient location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Janichic
Kevin S, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello there Janichic,
Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent trip to Seattle and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our team to be warm and welcoming. We are so proud of them and jobs they do each and every day.
Again, thank you taking the time to share your story and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.