“Matinee show... Not uber impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Teatro ZinZanni

Teatro ZinZanni
Ranked #21 of 273 Coffee & Tea in Seattle
Price range: US$104 - US$155
Cuisines: International, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Neighbourhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
Seattle, Washington
“Matinee show... Not uber impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

So, my wife and I finally made it to a Teatro Zinzanni show. We had heard a lot about this place and its been on our radar for a long time. But the show has a pretty hefty price tag...So its been tough to make plan out. Luckily, we found an Amazon Local deal for $55 Sunday matinee tix...so we snagged em immediately. The show we went to see was Hail Caeser -forbidden Oasis.
The place is awesome...the tent is extremely impressive, very colorful and looks very magical.
All the staff dress up in cool gypsy outfits and are extremely cordial. The place was great and the service was awesome. The problem was that the show itself wasn't very exciting. There were obviously a lot of talented people performing there - like the girl with the hula hoops and the trapeze acts. But a lot of time was spent interacting with the audience, coming up with one liner jokes and repeating the same sort of dialogues over n over again.
I'd rather like to see more of the acts and have them build an actual story around the act. For the amount of money they charge there should be more performance time and less audience interaction. That's my opinion at least.
The food was quite unimpressive as well..but they had good drinks. In all fairness you're not going to this show for the food.
Anyways, check it out. It's definitely a fun time. I just feel that when they charge you a lot of money, and they have a talented staff, they should put more time into building out a story that makes them utilize that talent more than they did in the show we saw.

Visited September 2013

Silver Spring, MD
“Get out your credit card...it's worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

From the other reviews, this obviously isn't for everybody but for our group, the overall experience was more than a 5 rating. The show was amazing, the food...well not quite so amazing.

First the show... It's cheesy, it's vaudeville, it's burlesque (mildly risqué), it's comedy, it's "Cirque du Soleil", it's hilarious as well as breath taking. And it is ongoing for a good 3 1/2 hours. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was hard to find anyone in the audience that wasn't engrossed, or laughing with tears in their eyes. While the singing quality isn't the greatest in the world, the comedy and the quality of the acrobatics more than offsets that. And they are always working the audience, if not the main acts, then the wait staff (who also are performers).

Now the food...As one of the reviews noted below, it will take a long time to get your food so you have to be prepared. The first course of Filo Dough stuffed cheese which was excellent. Later there was soup which was a wonderful puree of lentil with eggplant with small dollops of sour cream. We could have eaten a lot more of it but the portion was adequate. Awhile later, the salad came out. Basically average with a choice of dressings. The main entrees came out somewhat later. Two of us had the Halibut which was a nice size portion but obviously with the number served at once, it was not right out of the pan quality. Not bad though. The other two had the pork entrée and it was really excellent with a wonderful sauce (holds up much better for mass feeding). They were accompanied by an extremely small portion of baby carrots roasted on the stem. Nice but the portion was way too small. The desert consisted of Baklava. It was tasty and a decent portion.

One disappointment in the food was that they offered many extras at a price. For instance, bread, appetizers, etc.

The drinks were moderately expensive. You can get beer or an $8 glass of wine but if you want unoaked chardonnay, that's $14. Most drinks are $9 - $15 and, when you are there for that long, it can mount up.

A big plus and nice surprise for us was that we were unexpectedly upgraded to premium seats - right in the front. This probably enhanced the show but what a nice treat - particularly since we had bought a Groupon for the show, didn't make reservation till that night and they did not have any more Groupon seats left. We asked if we could pay the difference and they accepted the Groupon coupon which normally would have only gotten us general admission seats. We found them to be exceptionally accommodating in this respect.

Bottom line, you will probably end up with a minimum $120 - $150 per person evening if you go all out, but it is definitely a most memorable experience.

Victoria
“Good fun, poor food, high prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This place was a real mixed bag.

I'll start by saying that my wife and I had a lot of fun here despite its flaws.

The show started at 6:30. They urge you by email to come early - 5:30 - to 'enjoy the preshow fun'. Well... the preshow fun is really just having some overpriced drinks in the lobby and buying some cirque'esque style stuff in their gift shop. If you're planning on going don't bother going early - have some drinks elsewhere and show up just before the show starts.

The show itself is quite fun. It's part vaudeville, part circus. It takes place right in the center of the room and all the seats get a great view. There's some audience interaction and on the evening we went the people who they chose to participate were really outgoing and did a great job. I imagine if they chose the wrong people that wouldn't be the case but then again maybe the people are 'plants'. I don't know and it doesn't matter because it worked and it was good.

So with that said there are a few other aspects. First off the food. The food isn't great. It's inconsistent from plate to plate. My wife and I both had beef wellington. Mine was cooked well, hers medium. Mine tasted strongly of blue cheese, hers only had blue cheese in one spot. The potatoes served with it weren't completely cooked and were crunchy - not a characteristic you want in potatoes. The meal was supposed to come with asaparagus but it came with green beans. I guess this is the price you pay for having 150+ meals come out the door all at once but for the price you're paying you expect more. The appetizers were waiting on the table when you got there which is something that I found a bit off-putting. I had no idea how long they'd been there. The salads and deserts were pretty good.

The service is pretty good though a bit hit and miss. Your servers are also performers so you sort of catch as catch can as far as service goes.

The biggest sticking point for me was the pricing. The servers are very in-your-face about drinks and 'upgrades'. We were told our wellingtons would end up cooked very well and if that bothered us we should 'upgrade' to a filet which we could order how we wanted. That seemed like a bit of a threat of sorts and we didn't avail ourselves of it. The drinks are quite expensive and aren't great.

But the biggest thing of all is that they charge a TWENTY PERCENT SERVICE CHARGE on any drink orders. My wife and I ordered two 3oz wine flights at $25 each. That was a bit high but not outrageous. When the bill came I was expecting $50. What I got was $68 - it included tax and a 20% service charge. I imagine the service charge info is posted somewhere but I sure didn't see it. That seemed like a blatant money grab and ticked me right off.

Anyways - the show was good. If you go then beware of the service charge. Also beware of the seats as you're there for quite some time. They're padded and we made it through ok but 3 1/2 hrs on one of them was getting to be the limit.

2 Thank MarkfromtheIsland
Seattle, Washington
“Worth every penny!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Great venue and ambiance. Excellent service (Xavier) and fabulous entertainer (Ruby amazing singer and loved Duo Madrona). Fun evening and a great entertainment escape. Seats not comfortable, but hostess found extra cushion which helped. Spot on service. Water constantly refilled- - big plus. Not something I'd do every night, but worthwhile extravagance. So glad we went!

Roseville, California
“A great evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We went here with a group of our adult children, and it was very nice. I was not quite sure what to expect, but good atmosphere and the food was wonderful. The show was very long, almost 3 hours with dinner, but we enjoyed the entire thing. The only downside was charged for every individual thing, and I did feel a little like I was getting knickled and dimed.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Teatro ZinZanni? Share your experiences!