“Liked the location ”

Belltown Inn
Ranked #48 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My friends and I spent 2 nights at the Belltown Inn in July 2014. It is well situated within walking distance to the space needle and Pike Place market among other things. Lots of good restaurants within a few blocks as well.

We knew there was no air-conditioning before we got there and it turned out Seattle was in the middle of a heat wave on the days we were there. We had asked for courtyard facing rooms because we knew the windows would be open and it is a quieter location in the hotel. There were three fans in the room but it was uncomfortable at times. But the upside is that the skies were blue and cloudless and you could see from miles at the top of the space needle. And no rain!

We had a room with one queen bed and it's not fancy but very adequate. We didn't spend much time in the room, basically just to sleep.

The hotel is very clean. The hotel staff was very knowledgeable and friendly and helpful both in the reservation process as well as during our stay

I would recommend the Belltown Inn because it is so well located within walking distance of a lot of Seattle tourist sites and the price was very good.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Margaret B

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Coming to Seattle in the summer is usually an escape from California heat, but not this year. We booked at this hotel knowing there was no a/c, but did not expect quite the heat on the upper floor or the level of street noise. It was extremely hot during the week we stayed, so the windows needed to stay open with a large floor fan and ceiling fan. Our room faced the dog park despite being told we would have a room off the alley. There was nightly recycling of glass from the local bars, street people arguing, a bus stop, and a fire station down the street. Even with ear plugs and the fan noise, I got very little rest.

As for the hotel itself, the rooms were very clean, but I had to ask for our room to be cleaned in the late afternoons even with the service request card on the door. The desk staff was just ok.

As mentioned in the other reviews, the hotel is a bargain for its central location. Our Seattle relatives raised their eyebrows at the location when they picked us up Apparently it had a rough reputation in the past and some residents still use the sidewalk tables as their living room.

I would not hesitate returning in the winter, but would book a place with air conditioning for another summer or early fall visit.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank USAnon
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I booked Belltown Inn knowing it was a 2 star hotel... but was convinced when I saw the high guest ratings. Boy, did I regret that very quick.
After check-in, we immediately asked to switch to a courtyard room since the first room that they assinged us to was facing the street and ridiculously noisy.
They switched us to a 1st floor courtyard... that smells like gym socks. Literally! We needed to keep the window open so we didn't die of heat since there is no AC, but would need to close it before leaving the room since it was on the first floor and anyone could walk-in through the window. Which meant that when we would return and open our room, it would be this disgustingly hot and stinky sweat box.
Our friends were staying in a room on the 3rd floor that seemed different. Queen bed, they had a small balcony and a white down comforter. Versus our full size bed... window at ground level which meant no privacy, and a bed spread that looked straight out of a truckers motel.
The service was so inconsistent, we were offered wi-fi and my friends were asked to pay for it. At check out we found out they have bikes that can be used on a first come first serve basis. Would have been really great to know about this when we checked in.
Truly the only positive thing about this hotel was its location. Great night scene nearby and walking distance to Pikes Market and Space Needle.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay somewhere else, is my tip. No AC and super loud!
5  Thank Melissa R
KendraBTI, General Manager at Belltown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hi Melissa R,

Thank you for your feedback, and I'm very sorry for your difficult experience here. We totally understand your frustration, the heat in Seattle has been unbearable the past 12 days or so. Us locals know what it's like because we are feeling the same heat when we go home as a majority of homes and apartments in Seattle do not have A/C either.

The variance between the bedding in your room and your friend's was due to that fact that during your stay we were in the midst of a hotel-wide linen upgrade. The all-white bedding in your friend's room is our new look, but I do apologize that when you requested a room change we weren't able to accommodate a courtyard room on the same floor as your friends for more consistency. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the city sights while you were in town, and I truly hope that overall you enjoyed your time in Seattle. If you are in the area again, we would love the chance to turn this experience around for you.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed for two nights recently at the Belltown Inn. As other reviews have noted, the location is the best feature of this hotel; lack of a/c and street noise are the negatives. Hotels within walking distance to downtown sites are quite expensive in Seattle. I have no complaints about what I paid and got at the Belltown Inn. I arrived during a heat wave and was concerned about my room's temp; however, I placed a portable fan in the window to pull in the night's cool outdoor air, and the room cooled quickly. Yes, there was considerable street noise, but that's why I always travel with and use earplugs. The room was very clean, but I was thrown to find leftover (but unopened) beverages in the fridge. Note that there is a grocery store and bus stop one block away as well as a great Vietnamese pho restaurant across the street. Epilogue: On my return trip through Seattle, I stayed at a less expensive hotel that had a/c and less noise; it was six blocks further away but well worth it. (Read my other review for details.)

Room Tip: Ask for an interior/courtyard room to reduce street noise. Be sure to bring and use ear plugs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Hi DavidMcTier,

Thank you so much for your detailed review! We are glad to see you survived your time in Seattle during our annual heatwave. We are so used to a mild climate in this region that it is common for many places (businesses, some hotels, restaurants, apartments) to not be furnished with A/C; though this is definitely the time of year us locals would like it.

One thing I wanted to mention, was the beverages in the mini-fridge (soda, water) were provided to you complimentary by us here at Belltown Inn. It's unfortunate that it wasn't mentioned to you during check-in, I truly apologize that you were given the impression that they had been left by the previous guest. Overall I hope you had a great experience in the Emerald City, and thank you again for your comments!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend after being in Hawaii for a week; it was hard to leave the islands, but the Belltown Inn provided a nice transition between our honeymoon and going home. The hotel staff were courteous and helpful, and the room was cozy, but nicely appointed. There was no AC (and it was super hot out), but there were fans and cooling bed linens, so it was no problem.

Bonuses for staying here:
-conveniently located to downtown, Pike's Market, night-life, restaurants, and the Space Needle
-free loaner bikes made getting around the city a breeze! Walking wouldn't have been an option. There was also a bus stop directly across street if you needed it.
-grocery store right across the street
- roof top terrace open for use

Room Tip: You could ask for a room that faces the Space Needle, but you are really still looking at other buil...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Congratulations! A honeymoon in Hawaii sounds amazing, and I like the idea of a transition day before you headed on home. I am so glad to hear that even during our almost 2 weeks-long heatwave you were able to stay comfortable in your room with the ceiling fan, extra room fan, and lighter bed linens. Thanks so much for staying with us, please consider us again for your next trip to Seattle!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

While our feeling for the Belltown Inn are clouded, (in a good way) by the fact that we felt "rescued" by them, just for having a vacancy, from another deplorable hotel we had reserved, the feelings are not misguided. The Belltown Inn IS a great place. GREAT location. CLEAN. Close to virtually everything, GREAT front desk staff. We'll DEF stay there again. Bikes to use, laundry room on premise, dozens of restaurants next door and in neighborhood. Good, good, good.

Room Tip: higher up, off the alley, is the quietest...
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We arrived during an unseasonable heat wave--though the lobby is air-cobitioned, the rooms are not air conditioned-which we expected. Our room had two fans going--ceiling and floor. Thanks to a tip from another guest, we turned our floor fan around to blow out the hat air and it really made a difference.

The room was small, but clean and very functional. We had a small refrigerator-two soda and a water bottle provided. Popping popcorn and in-room coffee too-microwave worked. Great bathroom towels-large and absorbent.

Belltown Inn was half the price of the big-name hotels. We walked to Pike Market, the Retail Core, the Space Needle and Chihuly Gardens and Glass ( will be reviewed separately soon). Starbucks close by almost in every direction! Location, location, location!

Room Tip: Face courtyard. Street facing rooms seemed noisy.