“You cannot go wrong with the Belltown Inn”
Review of Belltown Inn

Belltown Inn
Ranked #48 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I had 9 days to find a place to stay for the summer and found the BTI on an internet search. Set to work right in Belltown and having never been to Seattle before, I was surprised to find a place so close yet so affordable. I took a chance and booked a room, figuring if it was terrible I would leave. Surely, this was too good to be true, right?

Let me tell you: having spent nearly the last 3 months at the BTI the hotel exceeds expectations in every way. Hell, it exceeds the expectations of hotels twice or three times the price. The staff is phenomenal, always helpful and super-friendly. The rates are a downright steal. The rooms have everything you need, including a mini-kitchette for "monthlies" like myself. Plus, you are in the heart of Belltown and everything you need is within walking distance (A tip however: avoid the grocery store near the dog park. Their prices are confiscatory. $15 for a bottle of Tide detergent. No, I am not kidding.)

Look, if you are hot for an Olympic swimming pool and 4-star restaurant attached to the place you stay in, you won't find it here. Go downtown and pay six times the price if that matters so much to you. Otherwise, if you want a safe, clean, affordable, nice place to stay for a day, a week, a month or several months, YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THE BELLTOWN INN.

I will say it again: YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THE BELLTOWN INN.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank noahg13

Reviewed 29 July 2009

This hotel is very well priced and the rooms are nice and clean. It makes a great impression with a nice and very clean lobby, and the rooms are small but really terrific.

However, there is no A/C which means you have to leave the windows open, and it's LOUD. It's nearly as loud with the window shut. I started with a room that faced north towards the next building, a new blue 5 story. The people in that building were INCREDIBLY LOUD. It turns out it's a home for recovering drug addicts. They stay up late and play music and have loud arguments. After 5 nights of that I moved to a room that faced the inner courtyard. It was even noisier because now I was listening to the people and TVs from the 20 other rooms that faced the courtyard. On the bottom floor of the courtyard they rent to people with pets. One night an unattended dog barked all night. Almost no sleep for me. After staying here for weeks, I would say that it only gets quiet enough to sleep at about 1 AM. I had to get up at 6:30 for work, so this was not good. Most nights it was like trying to sleep at a fraternity party. Lots of young people staying up late, talking loudly, laughing and drinking. Personally, I love doing that from time-to-time myself. Just never at a hotel with others who don't want to listen to me.

Also, the neighborhood is VERY BAD, and I've lived in Alphabet City in Manhattan. On 2nd and Bell (1 block from the hotel) there are drug dealers on ALL 4 CORNERS all night. There are also prostitutes and drug addicts. I spoke with a beat cop about it, and he was fully aware and strongly suggested I avoid that area at night. Said it was a huge problem and dangerous. He said they are trying to do something about it, but wouldn't elaborate.

I'm not trying to bash this hotel. Like I said, it;'s clean and nice. Also the front desk is as helpful as they can be. There is just nothing anyone can do about the drug dealers, bad clientele, and lack of A/C.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank boomop
Reviewed 27 July 2009

The Belltown Inn is located in the Belltown, close to everything in Seattle. You can walk to Pike Market, The Needle, restuarants, museums and the waterfront. The people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful and quick to scan the internet for directions points, of interest or anything you might want. The hotel has recently been renovated, but does not include airconditioning and most of the time the fan is fine. At 80 dollars a night for a weeks stay you can not find a better deal.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank msgrad
Reviewed 23 July 2009

The location of this hotel is good as it's within the free bus zone and within easy walking distance of the Pike Market; Cruise terminals and Seattle Space Needle. The neighbourhood is slightly seedy but there are good eating and drinking places close by. The rooftop terrace is a real bonus and allows you to meet other guests and have a glass of wine whilst enjoying excellent views over Seattle.
The rooms are a good size and spotless, but lack air conditioning (an issue whilst we were in Seattle because it was really hot) and if you left the window open then the close proximity of other rooms across the courtyard meant that there was quite a lot of noise.
All the reception staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and we really enjoyed our stay despite the minor drawbacks.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidBath
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We were first-time travelers to Seattle and thought the Belltown looked like a nice place to stay, the rate was terrific and we liked the location. It was four blocks from where our cruise ship was docked, it was within walking distance to Pike's market, the waterfront and the space needle. We found great restaurants and a small grocery store nearby. The staff was very friendly and helpful and our room was very clean. The only downside was that the area seems to attract some drug dealing and late-night/early-morning partiers. Fortunately, all parties got along :-)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank gogomn
Reviewed 21 June 2009

I would definitely stay this hotel again. Price, location, cleanliness, everything I usually need was very good, just the street noise was to complain about this hotel. The kitchenette is a real bonus. Yes it is not very nice neiborhood but I never felt unsefe at all even I walked alone just before midnight from theatre. I liked that there's a dog park across the street. I killed time there doing dog watching after checking out untill going to Bus station.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank jellicledog
Reviewed 16 June 2009

This hotel was very nice, very affordable, and in a great location (miutes walk from the sites, dining and drinks). The rooms were small, but very clean and well-furnished. The staff was extra helpful and nice. It was close to all the downtown Seatlle sights and a real bargain.
The neighorhood was dubious, but not patently unsafe, which is why I would not recommed it for a family. The only things i did not like at all were the street noise, even on a Sunday night it was quite loud. Also the room did not have AC, 88% of the time in Seattle this is not a problem. But in Summer, its hard to open the window when it is so loud.
However I would stay here any time I'm kid-free and needing to be in Seattle. A real find.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends