“Don't Expect Much!”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Broadway / Capitol Hill
Cross street: Summit Ave E
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Purchased this as a groupon before visiting - was $25.00 for $131.00 of food (Groupon was 2 soups or salads, 2 entrees (including steak), and 2 desserts with wine pairings for each course.

When we walked in the man in jeans waved us to a table in the corner, to which we asked if we could have a table that wasn't inaccessible for the far chair.

He then brought us 2 plates, each of a thick honeydew melon slice, a thin round of french baquette, and a thin prosciutto slice. Presentation lacked greatly.

After that, we didn't have the choice of soup or salad, but were brought soup (Lentil and something else), which was delicious!

Next we were given the option of 3 entrees (all pasta, or beef & mushrooms - no steak), or dinner crepe. We decided since this was a crepery, to stick with the Crepes. They were DELISH - although slightly more eggy than they needed to be, we shared the prosciutto and a smoked salmon one.

Dessert was 1 scoop of ice cream over a small slice of lemon-angel-food-blue confetti cake.

We were then asked to pay the tax on the $130.00 meal, which I have graciously priced out at about $75.00 value.

There were no menus or prices listed anywhere- only a few specials (sans prices were listed). The room was so tiny we could hear every word everyone was saying.

It was a kind of awkward meal, had we been given more options, told (by the groupon site and the restaurant owner) what to expect, etc. it could have been very romantic!

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Whether we realize it or not, we Seattleites expect a certain dining experience. We are accustomed to independent restauranteurs, who offer excellent food in agreeable (read that spacious, super comfortable and predictable) dining rooms. We regard ourselves as discerning, yet ultimately we segregate ourselves from that which is truly different, possibly that which is authentic to other another place in the world. We seem to know what we want and we want it everywhere we go. In that respect, we are no more open or sophisticated in our dining than any other American town. I personally enjoy visiting Thomas St Bistro, because it is a quirky, somewhat unorthodox place that yet reminds me of modest places I've dined in Europe. I never know what my experience will be on a visit to Thomas St. I do know that space will be tight and I know that I will not leave with 8 ounces of un-consumed Porterhouse in a doggy bag. If I am after that kind of experience, there is always Daniels Broiler. In it's own eccentric way, Thomas St Bistro reminds me of traveling overseas: being receptive to the unexpected. The wait people certainly are nice and are engaged in the experience. The food IS distinctive and different. Are you ready for a different kind of evening?

2  Thank agsmith50
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We both ordered the Boeuf du Jour with a mushroom gravy. I chose mashed potatoes to accompany. My friend chose pasta. Her mushrooms were not cooked; my dish was warm versus hot. The meat was a bit grisly. I had no green vegetable with my dish. My friend had a few rings of green pepper which she sent back that were replaced by two stalks of asparagus. Earlier courses of a vegetarian soup and a salad consisting of romaine and cherry tomatoes with a vinaigrette were passable. House wine Malbec was flat. The restaurant is very small and crowded. A patron knocked a glass off her table while trying to exit. Service rushed. People have to wait outside. Cash only.

1  Thank Mattie S
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We finally used our Groupon ....... The place has a certain charm on the positive side - but then there is the negative side. The soup was so salty, we could not eat it. The salad came with zero dressing and the owner told us people don't like lots of dressing on their salad - but there was none. We had to ask for some and a pitcher of something came to the table. The entrees were passable but on the salty side. If we had paid full price, we would have done better than our $48 Groupon. They taxed us on the stated value for the Groupon $103 - totally a rip off. Service was extremely fast however. Took 30 minutes to find a parking place however. If the goal of Groupon participates is to get you to return, they failed.

1  Thank yogalady67
Reviewed 9 February 2012

After reading all the negative reviews, I felt I had to write a postive one. We went to the bistro last night, with a Living Social coupon (for a 4 course dinner and bottle of wine for 2 people) and had a very nice experience. I would have given 3&1/2 stars if I could. I say the food was "good". We walked in and almost ran into the guitarist that was seated right behind the door. (He was great, by the way!) It is a very tiny place. The help immediately came over and suggested the table next to the front window. A cozy spot! When we arrived there were 3 tables available (they soon filled). We got out our coupon and they were VERY nice about it. Looking around the restaurant everyone looked happy. There was a mixed age group....a 70 something woman (a regular), a couple in their 60's and lots of 20 somethings. We had the coupon for the 4 course meal and a bottle of wine. The waiter said the wine choice was house red or white (which was fine by us). When the manager/owner came by with the house red, he asked us to try it and if we didn't like it he would gladly give us something different. We liked it...a nice Italian wine! The first course was cream of vegetable soup....very peppery, hot and tasty. The next course was baguette slices...one with a salmon pate and one with salami, nice. We had our choice of 5 entrees. (I don't know why people expect more...it's a tiny place!). My husband chose the chicken w/pasta and I chose the salmon pasta. Both entrees came out piping hot. The chicken was good and the salmon was unusual: spiced maybe with cinnamon and hot paprika and with carmelized onion (I'm guessing). It was good and the presentation of both dishes was nice. The dishes and glassware are very fun and eclectic. The dessert was a simple scoop of ice cream with caramel sauce and a strawberry. I don't know why people thought the portions were small, we were stuffed! After being in Italy 6 months ago, we felt it much like the little neighborhood bistros/cafes there. The waiter and manager were both very nice! The guitarist was cute and talented. The only draw back for us...was parking. We drove from the eastside and parking is scarce in the area. If you could walk here, all the better! Our experience was great! A definite thumbs up!!!!