Kimpton Alexis Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown(Seattle)(Great Value!)
US$242
  • Breakfast included
US$304
US$241
US$544
US$526
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Seattle Downtown(Seattle)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$549
galahotels.com
  • Pool
2,162 results
All reviewsbookstore barspa suitepike place marketwine hourpioneer squareseattle art museumboutique hotelfront desk staffferris wheelhappy hourmini barbottle of champagnefew blocksan upgradewe've stayedwonderful hotelsitting area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 January 2010

The building seems to be old, because upon entering to my room,
it smells of musty mildew so i had to spray a lot of Lysol to cover it up.
Also there is a steam room on 3rd floor, but you have to make appointment.
I didn't know about this, so I went to steam room without appointment
and without the key, I couldn't enter . There was a housekeeper near by,
so I told her to open the key for me since that facility closed at 9pm and
finally able to enter the sauna room and turned the on/off switch only to find out
it's not working. I got this hotel room thru Priceline $99 (Tax inc) but won't stay here paying retail price. Also I called housekeeper to bring me more towels, but it took 50 mins and I had to call twice.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I checked in this dump with my 17 year on dec. 26th , 2009 only to get humiliated by the front desk clerk!!! I had forgot my credit cards, AAA card, and had only cash on me !! which was ok i thought because in had enough and my bank was a local bank!! When i checked in the clerk demanded a credit card for 100.00 a night for Incidentals, i explained about i forgot and offered to pay cash, she refused to take cash credit only. So i called my husband , she said he had to make a copy of his card and dr license, and write he authorized me to use it , I did have my license. so with the time difference, he could not do anything until next day. i went up to my room the tv was to the side of the bed, the shower looked like a lockerroom , robes were very worn out looking, room was very tiny, she sends an employee to come an get the honor bar , which was only worth about 30.00 . i went down to talk to her and she was very rude, and said its because u did not use a credit card, i said i have stayed at alot of 4 an 5 star hotels and never been humiliated like this before, she said well go stay there then!!! So i checked out and went to the Radisson, which had more amenites and better all around!!! It was all caught on tape because my friend was video tapen me cause she had not saw me in 17 years and caught this on tape !!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank caughtavon
Steve080, General Manager at Kimpton Alexis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2010

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We do require a credit card at the time of check in, and I am so sorry that this was not communicated prior to your arrival. I understand that the front desk made an exception in order to get you into a room, and I am sorry that you feel that you were treated innappropriately during this transaction. I would love to have the opportunity to discuss this with you further.

Reviewed 3 January 2010

My wife and I just enjoyed a weekend stay at the Alexis Hotel in downtown Seattle, Washington. Part of the Kimpton chain of boutique hotels, the Alexis Hotel is located at the corner of First Avenue and Madison Street, across the street from Hotel 1000 and the “Taboo Video for Adults” store, and a block and a half south of the infamous “The Lusty Lady” adult theatre. Nevertheless, the Alexis Hotel is ideally located for walking to the major downtown sites – including: Pike Place Market, the Seattle Aquarium, Pioneer Square, Safeco Field for baseball and Qwest Field for football. Ferries dock just a couple blocks away from the hotel, and it is a short 5 minute taxi ride to the cruise ship terminals.

Unlike many of the other downtown Seattle hotels, the Alexis Hotel has character. Front desk staff told us that the building was originally built in 1901 and most recently renovated two years ago, in October of 2007. The Alexis Hotel is a dog friendly hotel, so we saw several canines during our stay. The Alexis Hotel staff were all pleasant and helpful. Because the City of Seattle had shut off the water main to the hotel for 4 hours the day of our arrival on January 1, 2010 -- resulting in some yellowing of the water and sediment when my wife filled the large soaker tub on our first night -- the hotel did not charge us for parking our car with the hotel valet – a saving of $36 US (plus tax) per day.

We stayed in room 347, a 900 square foot one bedroom suite priced at $244 US (plus tax) per night. Room 347 was spacious, clean, and typical Kimpton funky. The set up of room 347 was a little strange, but given that the building was built in 1901, the renovation was no doubt limited by the physical confines of the building structure.

Room 347 has a very large master bedroom, including a lovely red brick feature wall. The stainless steel four post king size bed looked almost lonely, given the size of the bedroom. My wife found the mattress to be too firm for her, but I had two very restful sleeps and I found the mattress firmness to be just right. The 32 inch flat screen tv (no high definition channels offered) was so far away from the bed that it was actually too small for the bedroom. The bedroom had a very large bathroom, with a triangle shaped two-person jetted Kohler soaker tub, separate shower featuring a Grohe rain showerhead, large marble vanity and beautiful black marble flooring.

The living room featured a sofa, a couple of sitting chairs, a desk and a 40 inch flat screen tv (again, no high definition channels offered). Given the size of the tv, the 20 odd channels offered came in fuzzy and high definition was sorely missed. Furthermore, for some strange reason, the tv was mounted above the desk, so that viewing the tv from the south side of the living room was partially blocked by the contoured centre column/wall. There was also a two piece washroom off the living room, a mini bar, small sink and counter area, and a large balcony going nowhere (it opened to the interior of the building -- a concrete courtyard of sorts -- with views of the outside of other hotel rooms and a small patch of sky).

Pros:

1. Great location in downtown Seattle.
2. Funky decor and character building.
3. Dog friendly.
4. Attentive staff.
5. Clean, reasonably priced rooms (“reasonably priced” being a relative term for downtown Seattle).
6. High end “Aveda” hair and bath products (your wife will thank you!).
7. Small but well appointed bar located at the main entrance to the Alexis Hotel (the “Bookstore Bar”) and a separate restaurant (the “Library Bistro”).
8. Part of the Kimpton hotel chain of boutique style hotels.
9. Free wireless internet for Kimpton InTouch members (the Kimpton’s free guest loyalty program).

Cons:

1. Given the age of the building, we could hear the people walking in the room above ours. Nevertheless, on both evenings the nights were quiet and sleep came easy.
2. Panhandlers throughout the neighbourhood (albeit none in front of the Alexis Hotel itself). I should point out that this is a problem regardless of where you stay in downtown Seattle.
3. Expensive valet parking at $36 US (plus tax) per day (see my comments above, wherein our parking was comped by the Alexis Hotel!).
4. Despite having a 40 inch LCD tv in the living room and a 32 inch LCD tv in the bedroom, there was no high definition tv offered.

Conclusion:

My wife and I would (and will) gladly stay at the Alexis Hotel again. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is “terrible” and 10 is “the best”, I rank the Alexis Hotel at 8. Accordingly, I give the Alexis Hotel two thumbs up!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carfaxdave
Reviewed 30 December 2009

Stayed in a King Deluxe Hotel for 2 nights at the end of Dec. Hotel is in a great location for getting to Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square. Room was large and nicely decorated - loved all the different lamps! Lots of dogs about - the hotel if pooch friendly. Staff were friendly and the Bookstore Bar was great to grab a bite to eat and a drink. If you like people watching sit at the window and see if you can spot who's about to quickly dive into the Taboo video store opposite the hotel! The hotel is only a few block from Pioneer Square which makes it perfect for catching the newly open Link line light rail to and from Sea-Tac airport. Catch the train from Pioneer Station at James and 3rd Street - only $2.50 one way for the 35 min ride out to the airport.
Downside was the expensive business center :(

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raelarder1976
Reviewed 11 December 2009

I spent 3 days in this hotel last October. Though I wasn't very lucky with the weather - yes, it was raining in Seattle - I was quite happy that after much research and a good deal I landed at the Alexis.
The location is great - 1st Avenue a few blocks from Pike's Market, plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby. When I arrived I thought I'd ended up at one of these old fashioned worn hotels, but it had undergone a great revamp in recent years. The room was nicely appointed, really big, very comfortable bed, nice bathroom. My only comment was that it was a bit too dark.
Most hotels tend to be around this area, and being so close to the port you are bound to hear some horns from large ships at night, but it's not really disturbing. This is yet another reason to get the Alex (a 4-floor building) rather than one of these higher priced options with "room view", as you will get a view of the docks, which is not very glorious.
I didn't use the restaurant, but I'd like to mention that their bar in front of the hotel looked really inviting. And it was always full of "real" people, not the usual scene that you get in the trendier hotels. Service was always friendly and timely, and the rooms were really clean.
I'd recommend Cafe Fonte, 2 or 3 blocks away at 1st Av, which has a fabulous coffee ( you need to be really good to stand out in Seatlle) and a smart selection of meals (breakfast through dinner) and wine. And there are also plenty of good choices at Pike's, especially if you like seafood.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo