“Amazing Experience”

Kimpton Alexis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I've stayed at several of the Kimpton properties and this one rated near the top. I'd highly recommend it for both business or pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,099)

Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed in the Alexis after returning from an Alaskan Cruise. It was convenient to Pioneer Square and Pike's Place Market. Great staff helped us get where we wanted to go either by car service or directions. Most every place was within walking distance. The room was elegant and very well priced. Wil definitely stay with the Alexis again.

Reviewed 31 May 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in April and enjoyed our experience. We were in Room 248 - a very large King suite. We originally asked to be moved to a higher floor, but once we realized how large our room was compared to what we would be getting and the fact that it was on a quiet alley, we stuck with what we had. The garbage truck did wake us up on the Friday morning, but other than that, no noise problems for us.
As I said, our room was very large. King bed, big round dining table (just in case we wanted to invite 4 friends over for dinner!), sitting area with couch and chairs, shared balcony (didn't use it), free wifi (we signed up for the Kimpton InTouch program - it's free, so why not?!), Ipod docking station, and those snazzy leopard-print robes! The bathroom was relatively small, but ok.
The location was great indeed. We walked every day to Pike Place Market for breakfast. In fact, we walked most places around Seattle - it's quite a walkable city.
Didn't eat in the hotel, but did have a drink at the Library Bar.
We went across the street to Hotel 1000 to their Spaaah and had a massage - heavenly! Both of us agreed that we had one of our Top 3 massages ever! And that's saying something because we've had a few massages in our day.
The staff were always helpful and friendly. We asked them which bus to take to Freemont and they printed out the schedule for us. They also printed out our boarding passes for us. We asked for and received a late checkout of 2pm. Better than most places we've stayed.
I would recommend it and definitely stay here again. We paid $180/night all in through hotels.com.
As for restaurants, we had a fun time at Purple Cafe and Wine Bar - try the Purple Chopped Salad - delicious! We went to Salumi (in the Pioneer Square area) for lunch and had a couple of fantastically filling salami sandwiches - no wonder this place is always lined up out the door. It's well worth the wait though and the line moves fast. We went to Spur for dinner - they use fresh, local ingredients and reservations are highly recommended because this place is popular - deservedly so. Probably the best hamburger i've ever had. For dessert, try the Peanut Butter Panna Cotta - tastes like a Reese's peanut butter cup! Mmm.. Then for our last dinner in Seattle, we went to Six-Seven restaurant in the Edgewater Hotel. All around excellent meal, from the cocktails, wine and the food to the attentive service and the sunset view.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cdnabroad
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I would take advantage of the courteous and helpful staff and simply ask for what you want. I enjoyed my small but elegant room. It suited me. Some of my colleagues asked for and were upgraded to suites or larger quarters. A cab in the wee hours to the airport? They had a town car waiting for me for less than the cost of the airport cab I took in. My room rate included (to my surprise) a free continental breakfast in the attractive dining room. The croissant and coffee were as good as any I've had.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Wonderful hotel, excellent location right downtown about 10 minutes from Pike Street Market. The check in staff & bell boys were knowledgable and friendly without being over the top.
The Bookstore Bar had a great atmosphere with good food and great selection of wines & beers. I did not eat in the main hotel Bistro but it looked cosy and had a great atmosphere as well. There are lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance as well.
The room was large, I got upgraded due to being a Kimpton Intouch Member. It was on the main street and the noise was minimal. Internet was super fast both in the room and Bookstore Bar. I did not go to the gym, it was small but had plenty of equipment.
For the Spa lovers, the Aveda Spa was located right next to the hotel with an entrance directly from the hotel lobby.
I would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We took the Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle, which was a nice way to travel. The only downside is the time it takes. Glaciers move faster. There are currently only two trains per day at 6.45am and again at 6.45pm. Ideally, plan to take the early train as the views are lovely. Arrived at 11.20pm on a Saturday night, so got a cab to the Alexis. The hotel was still busy and the Library bar at the front had a really nice atmosphere. (Half-price food and drink during Happy Hour). Our room, the Authors' suite was fantastic. It was vast with separate bedroom and sitting area with chairs and sofa; a dining table and open fire, with easy-to-light logs provided. I've lived in smaller flats. Decor is contemporary without being too minimal and staff are all very friendly and helpful. The location is ideal, being equidistant between Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square. Both are really interesting, but attract quite a number of homeless people, which are not a problem during the day, but might be intimidating at night for some visitors. The monorail to the Space Needle is also a short walk away and a visit is a must for any Sci-Fi or music geek, housing two fascinating museums at the base in a Frank Ghery designed building. Seattle is well worth a visit and has some excellent restaurants and museums, combined with a laid-back atmosphere. The Alexis is probably the best all-rounder, offering style and elegance with superb service and an unbeatable central location

Reviewed 24 May 2010

First, the good:

The Alexis is in a great location, and the staff seemed really friendly and eager to help. Our room was gorgeous, with a view out to the water. It was a weekend and we managed to save $38 or whatever by parking on the street. The bar was lovely -- really cozy, had magazines and board games -- and the bartender was very friendly and helpful. If we were locals, we'd probably be in there every weekend. When we had plumbing issues, the engineer was at our door in a flash, and he was really friendly.

The not-so-good:

Our bathroom had some issues. The sink stopper was jammed almost all the way down, so it took a really long time to drain, which I was willing to overlook until I realized that our toilet was clogged. Which made me wonder -- how did the person who cleaned the room after the last guest not notice that the toilet was clogged? Did he/she actually clean the toilet? So then I had cleanliness concerns, which made me stick with showers and skip the long bath I'd planned. And one of the bed pillows had an unpleasant sour smell to it, so I had to toss that on the floor. No way was I putting my head near it.

I think they were pretty busy but it took three tries to get a dog bed brought up and it turned out they'd run out. Which is fine, it happens, but if they'd just told us that, we wouldn't have kept trying. (In the end, another dog bed turned up, so I guess the third time's the charm...)

Overall, a beautiful hotel, and very friendly staff, but our stay left some room for improvement, though I think we were mostly just unlucky.