“grand old lady”

Ranked #78 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
vancouver island
“grand old lady”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Baroness Hotel doesn't look like much on the outside but it is located fairly close to downtown Seattle. We walked to Pike St Market, The Space Needle, and even REI. The elevator is the original from 1931 as were the curtains.The elevator worked but the curtains could use replacing. The staff were friendly and helpful. If there is no-one at the desk there is a camera that records everyone that comes and goes through the reception area. The rooms were relatively clean (don't look under the bed) and comfortable. There was a full kitchen and coffee. We were concerned about sirens as the hotel is across from the hospital but didn't hear a one in three days. In summary the Baroness Hotel was clean, safe, quiet and relatively inexpensive for being so central.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vicriver
Carol G, General Manager at Baroness Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Good Day Travelers! Thank you for the review of your recent stay at The Baroness! Yes, the "B" is a grand old lady (sometimes acting a little more old than grand). Good news. . .we have replaced the drapes in all guest rooms and hallway carpet. We promise to keep the old world charm. . .so please come stay with us again. Go Seahawks!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Many people I know are aware of the Baroness because folks needing to travel from Alaska to Seattle for quality or specialized medical care stay at the Baroness. It is the place to stay... though it is an old hotel and it shows.

The convenience factor was huge. The kitchenette was fully functional and saved my family money because they could shop for their own groceries while I was in the hospital.

In the lobby they usually have fresh iced tea or coffee. On some day per week they have some kind of treat, like muffins. The desk staff were very kind and very helpful to us as we had to adjust our stay between the Inn at VM and the Baroness (see also my review of the Inn). They were professional and made a challenging time for us a bit easier.

As a patient of VM, after being discharged I was brought by wheelchair to the front door of the Baroness. (If a single person was staying here after a hospital stay I bet they would take them right to the room but I'm not sure about that - I was with my family.) The elevator is very small and old fashioned (I could barely use the elevator on my own because I was weak and you have to open a very heavy door to use it).

The Baroness was home-y and comfortable for me in my transition from hospital to eventually back home. Less sterile than a chain hotel. Though I would recommend they seriously clean the couch and chair, kinda grody in our room anyway. But the bed and roll-away bed and bathroom were clean. One has to have appropriate expectations for a place like this. It is old and not updated. I had to give it a very good though because of the convenience factor and I believe the room/apartment we stayed in was a good price for being in the middle of the city. Note there are also fees for parking but you are going to find that no matter where you stay in city center.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank jbrown246
Carol G, General Manager at Baroness Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Good Morning Brown Family - I love your review - you are spot on with your comments. Plans are underway for furniture updates but I am happy to report that new guest room drapes, hallway carpeting and lighting will begin next month. Please know that we are here as your "home away from home" if your travels bring you to Seattle again.
Griffin, Georgia
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Beautiful old hotel and lobby; good for those needing access to the hospital. Negatives include - halls smelled like urine, no air conditioning, parking $24 a day, housekeeping every other day. A little too far from everything.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pam M
Good Morning Pam. Thank you for your review. While the majority of our guests are here for medical related stays, we do make our affordable rates available to anyone (we do not exclude tourists!). Hallway carpets and drapes are being updated next month, along with light fixtures and bedding. Good luck in your future travels.

Travellers are raving about these Seattle hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This hotel has had a lot of bad reviews. I read them all before I went, but had to stay here anyway due to availability and booking late. However, my fears were completely unfounded. This is a very pleasant place to stay and very conveniently located for site-seeing in Seattle.

The room was extremely clean and spacious and the bed very large and comfortable. Room service was excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly. The only downside was that because it was an old building it did get very hot (although we were on the fourth floor and it was the middle of a heatwave in the height of summer). Also, the kitchen was not as well equipped as we had thought it would be, missing basics like salt and pepper and tea-towels. The hob was just four iron rings rather than an actual hob, but it worked fine.

I had been very worried about the 'funny smell' that people had talked about, but there was no trace of this when we went to stay. The rooms smelled fresh and pleasant with attractive vintage decor. Free wifi was great.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors may be less hot. The king and queen suites cost the same, but the king is bigg...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Abigail E
Hi Abigail - Thank you for your comments! We know that older hotels like the Baroness are not for everyone but the majority of our guests are very happy with the service they receive and the price of our rooms. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you again when your travels bring you back to Seattle!
Reviewed 19 August 2013

A good place to stay if you're more concerned about money than you are any kind of quality. shabby unkeep, the elevator didn't work so we had to go up four flights of stairs carrying luggage no offer to help and I felt less concerned walking the docks Seattle after dark then I was from some of the patrons renting a hotel room. 9 a.m. There were 4 people sitting in the lobby drinking beer isn't that special I wouldn't go back there even if I had to cancel a trip to Seattle you may save money. But this is a true example of you get what you pay for and even less

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Capt_Zoom00
Carol G, General Manager at Baroness Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Good Morning Captain Zoom. Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Baroness Hotel. Yes, a full hotel and an out-of-order elevator are a recipe for disaster. We apologize for the long trek up the stairs to your room. I'm not quite sure what your other issues were during your stay or how you chose us for your Seattle visit but good luck on your future travels.
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This hotel is across from Virginia Mason and just blocks from downtown. Historic building and vintage lobby furniture. Front desk staff are very helpful. Computers available in lobby and can print boarding passes. Rooms are basic but no air conditioning. Room service is very inexpensive and reasonable quality. Try and get the upper floors. Do not rent the suites with the hide a bed couch if you plan on using it as a bed as it's uncomfortable. I have stayed at the Baroness twice...once for medical and once for vacation. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: See above.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank AlaskanNurse
Good morning and thank you for your review on your recent stay at The Baroness Hotel. We appreciate the feedback and wanted to share that we do have some renovations planned for later this year (new drapes, hallway carpet and lighting). The majority of our guests are here for medical related stays and we are committed to keeping the prices as low as possible. We hope to welcome you back when your travels bring you to Seattle again. Until then, safe travels!
akron, ohio
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I actually liked this hotel and its vintage decor. The elevator has a door that you have to open for access and you are issued real keys! No, it's not the Crown Plaza, but then again you're also not paying Crown Plaza prices. Directly across the street from Virginia Mason Medical Center so it was very convenient for our meetings there.

The room was spacious and clean. I had a corner room with a nice big closet, small table & chairs and full kitchen, including stove, sink, mini fridge, etc., don't know if they're all like that. The bathroom was extremely small but clean.

Some of the basics that are missing are air conditioning, iron and hair dryer. But there was a fan in my room which was sufficient for the time of year and I imagine you could get a hair dryer and iron if you asked. I just didn't have the need.

Overall, I liked the place and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business