“It has potential but work to do”
Review of Baroness Hotel

Baroness Hotel
Ranked #78 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Penticton, Canada
“It has potential but work to do”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Seattle is an expensive city so "value" is a relative term - $169 plus tax. My daughter and I made a short overnight trip for a show at the Paramount theater. The Baroness is walking distance to the theater, downtown shopping, Pike place and right across the street from Virginia Mason. Our room was on the 5th floor, two twin beds, sitting area and full kitchen- there were no utensils in the kitchen but perhaps would be available if requested. Other than flooring and furniture, our room had not seen any updates since at least the 1950's. That being said, it was clean with no foul smells. The bathroom had an old smell but was not offensive. Let me first say that I enjoy staying in historic hotels, see humehotel.com for one of my favorites. The Baroness has potential but it has work to do. No air conditioning made it stuffy and hot - a ductless heat pump would do wonders! The bathroom was small and hot and the sofa bed in the seating area was past it's prime, we kept re-adjusting the cushions to stop from sitting on the sofa frame, tables were past their best before date - well worn and the drain in the bathtub clogged while showering. The free wi-fi was a nice touch. I doubt I'll be back thinking a VRBO would be a better value option.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank VLM
Carol G, General Manager at Baroness Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2014
Dear Traveler, Thank you for your comments. Yes, the Baroness has lots of potential and many plans for future improvements. There are many choices in Seattle and we are glad you selected us. Safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Very good especially for being right across the street from Virginia Mason Hospital. Rooms are fairly small, and quite stuffy. Need air circulation. Price was right though. Very quainty decor. Loved the lobby. But does need some repairs. Quite noisy though because it's right across the street from Virginia Mason (ambulances, police cars), also construction was being done that added to the noise. But would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments and we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please consider us your home away from home when traveling to Seattle.
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Tiny rooms in dire need of some updates. My friend's choose this hotel for it's vintage look and feel - be careful what you ask for... our room was clean enough but there was no air circulation. Hot and stuffy with several non-working outlets (although the hotel staff were kind enough to give us an extension cord...). The bathroom and shower are tiny and the hallway reeked. The elevator had manual doors which was kind of interesting to see, but it was difficult to maneuver with luggage. Good location in Capitol Hill, and quite affordable. If you like to eat-in the kitchenette has a microwave, sink and mini fridge, which is a nice bonus. The staff were fine - what you'd expect at this price-point - not super friendly but no cause for complaint. If you really want an authentic, vintage-style hotel, this is an excellent choice. If you're not into vintage and are just trying to save some money, there are better options out there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kimberly K
Hi Traveler - Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments. Good news, ceiling fans are planned for our guest rooms! If your travels bring you back to Seattle, we hope to welcome you again.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Also known as The Baroness Hotel - (There's a story).
As others have noted, it is indeed "Older and Quaint" but that is precisely what I liked about it.
More like a small apartment. Rooms are priced well, and if you are having a "procedure" done at Virginia Mason Hospital across the street, you get a special rate. It was perfect for my needs, large, 4 piece "room" small bedroom, w/comfy bed, nice bathroom, living room w/TV, small breakfast/dining area off of the full kitchen.
Location is VERY central, within walking distance to many amenities, including the Frye Museum., while being very quiet, as it is off of the main street. Close by taxi or public transportation, (walkable) to downtown, and Waterfront, Pike Place Market, the Seattle Big Wheel, and the Aquarium, all on Alaska Way, on Puget Sound.
Also easily accessible to the Space Needle, and at the foot, the Chihuly Garden and Glass. Baroness Hotel, serves complimentary coffee & tea, etc., and afternoon iced tea in the lobby. There is a business center in the Lobby, which I used. Elevator is small, but so what? you're staying in it. All the staff is very nice and friendly. I would stay there again. It is a nice "Pied-a-Terre" in the City, but NOT a destination. (not a "resort").

Room Tip: I was "upgraded" to a corner room/suite, which I did not need, but was nice to have, and w...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank FrenchQueen44
Carol G, General Manager at Baroness Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Good Afternoon Traveler - I love that you called as a "hidden gem". . .you made by day, thank you! We're not fancy, the staff works hard to offer exceptional guest service and we do have a nice inviting residential location on Pill Hill. Please come stay with us again. . .safe travels!
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Baroness Hotel was okay for what we needed for our visit to Seattle but staying here involves a series of compromises and a little thought before booking. The hotel has a lot of character, built in the 1920s, but comes with all the issues that an old building has. My room was decently sized, with a large bed and was clean and comfortable. The room had a flat screen television, a large comfortable chair and a kitchenette with oven/hob, microwave, refrigerator, sink, etc. Apart from the television, the other white goods worked, but were old models and looked very dated. The bathroom was small but clean and functional, with a bath and shower, bathroom products and clean towels provided.

Since the building is old, the wiring doesn't appear to be that great and this meant that the television had a poor quality picture for most of the channels. The sound was also inconsistent between channels, with some requiring the volume to be increased and others needing it turned down.

There was free Wi-Fi provided by the hotel, it was usable, but only in certain places in my room. To connect, I needed to be by the door of the room and the further from the door, the poorer the connection, sometimes only getting speeds of 500 kbps or less. It was OK for checking emails, general web browsing, etc. Not good for streaming video / YouTube or anything like that.

One of the main issues was that there was no air conditioning in the room, this meant that in hot weather, which was most of the time I stayed, the window needed to be open with the box fan running (provided by the hotel). Having the window open also means you can hear the road noise outside, the trash being collected in the morning and the air-conditioning units of the hospital opposite. I did not have a full night of sleep on any of the nights I was here.

The hotel is located in the First Hill area of the city, walking from downtown involves climbing some moderately steep hills until you reach 8th Avenue, where the incline is much greater. Seattle is a walking city and most of the locals are used to this, but you might take the odd taxi which costs about $6.50 plus tip. In the opposite direction from downtown towards Broadway is a very nice neighbourhood which has a weekend farmers market as well as some good cafes, bars and restaurants. There aren't any hills to climb in this direction, so it's convenient for meals, groceries etc. With a little advanced planning you can sometimes avoid steep hills by taking a longer route.

The area, sometimes dubbed "Pill Hill" is also home to a number of hospitals including the Virginia Mason Hospital to which the hotel is affiliated as well as the Swedish Medical Center and the Harborview Medical Center. The hotel is convenient for those places, especially the Virginia Mason which is located opposite. Despite the Virginia Mason having an Emergency Room opposite the hotel, there wasn't a problem being disturbed by ambulances or sirens.

One of the good things about this hotel is that it is one of the cheapest downtown hotels in what is an expensive city, especially during peak holiday season. It is convenient for those who need to be near the hospital for visits to relatives, etc. The hotel/neighbourhood feels secure at night and the staff are friendly and helpful.

In conclusion, this hotel has a lot of pros and cons. If you want a hotel with all the mod cons, like Wi-Fi, air-con, etc, then this won't be for you. If you need an inexpensive base to visit Seattle or the nearby hospital then this could be an ideal hotel. Although my stay was OK, I probably wouldn't stay here again for as long as I did, but it might be OK for a single night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Travelers - Thank you for your comments. Our mission is to provide affordable accommodations to people visiting the medical centers in the area and travelers looking for inexpensive hotel options. . .looks like you found us for one of those reasons. We have many improvements planned for the future. We appreciate your business and would look forward to welcoming you again. Until then, safe travels!
Blacklick, Ohio
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Baroness is a classic, art deco hotel in need of remodeling but staffed by competent cooperative employees. I believe each room has a kitchenette which is convenient. Beds are comfortable and the location for family members of hospitalized patients at Virginia Mason is perfect (right across the street).

I don't believe the hotel has A/C so we just opened the windows. Street noise was not too bad . They have a nice spacious lounge on the first floor and serve free muffins and cookies on selected days. Free computers are also set up in the lounge. Be aware it is rough around the edges but the location and staff make up for that. Laundry facilities are in the basement.

Room Tip: Ask for the patient/family rate and ask for a room on the back side if you are concerned about noise...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Good Afternoon and thank you for your comments regarding your stay earlier this month. No air conditioning can be a challenge when Seattle warms up and we are enjoying a very warm summer. We've made a few room improvements this year (drapes, tvs, bedding) and have a long way to go. Thank you for giving us a try. Please visit us again if your travels bring you back to Seattle!
Bogotá, Colombia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed there for two nights. For more than $100 a night (before taxes for the two of us), I was honestly expecting better. The location is okay, if -just like us- you don't mind walking uphill and downhill to explore downtown. The only old thing I loved was the elevator, a bit scary but quite a 'retro' experience. The microwave we had in our room was so old, they had to put a tag on it that said 'microwave'. LOL, to me, it looked like a bread machine. Though everything was old, everything was functional and clean. Since this was a last minute trip and everything else was already booked, we didn't find it terrible. The small kitchen with all the basic things was very useful.
Ok, THINGS I HATED: I didn't like the bathroom, it was too small. The pillows were quite uncomfortable and I found funny that our mattress has a plastic lining. The place is more for people that are staying for long periods of time and don’t mind hotels with a ‘haunted’ look. If you are planning a romantic night, please go elsewhere! I would honestly look for something else next time I go Seattle.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebeca R
Hi Travelers - Thank you for your comments. I am very glad we could accommodate you for your last minute trip. There are many choices in Seattle and we know our quirky little Baroness is not for everyone. But we try to be affordable, clean and friendly and it sounds like we met that criteria. . .safe travels!

Travellers are raving about these Seattle hotels