“THE BEST”

Four Seasons Hotel Seattle
Ranked #2 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We stayed at the Four Seasons Seattle in Jan 2011 for 3 nights. They had a ‘stay the 3rd night free’ offer on their website which cost us US$867 inclusive of taxes. The hotel has an exceptional location near the waterfront on 1st Avenue and Union street. It is right next to the Pike Place Market, opposite the Seattle Art Museum and a short walk from the main shopping centres along Pine St.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the doormen who opened the hotel doors for us. This made us feel very welcomed. When I walked into the lobby, it felt like walking into an art gallery with a lovely fire place. It was very sophisticated. Check-in at the reception was efficient but not extraordinary.

We had a corner room on the 6th floor which looked out on to the city below us. The room was huge for a standard room. The interior design was very modern and chic but comfortable. There were two large heavenly beds and a large lounge chair with a huge over-hanging floor lamp. We had a nice view of the city below us and a peek of the waterfront from the side window. There was a large flat screen TV, an ipod/iphone dock and a spacious wardrobe. The sleep quality was somewhat ruined by the noisy vehicles in the city below even in the wee hours of the morning. The curtains and shades were also unable to filter the street lights completely even though they were fully drawn. Thus, my sleep quality wasn’t 100%. So if you’re sensitive, don’t get a city view room. The mini bar was fully sensored. If you took a beverage out of its place, sensors would go off and you would be charged. It was disappointing that there was no coffee machine or complimentary tea/coffee in the room. Room service brought us an electric kettle. In response to this, the receptionist told us that there were complimentary coffee and apples in the lobby in the early morning. It would have been nice to have these in your room for a hotel of such standard. Unfortunately there was no complimentary free internet in the rooms.

The bathroom was out of this world. The bath tub was big and deep and looked out on to the city below. There was a huge TV in-built into the mirror, luxurious towels, bath robes and L’occitane products, and a separate toilet area. The shower area had what seemed like 2 rain showers which was great but the shower handles were quite confusing.

The Conceirge is located right opposite the reception area and next to the internet room which only had 2 computers. One of the Conceirge staff, Justin, was extremely good and friendly. He was very knowledgeable and shared with us his personal take on the sights and sounds of Seattle and recommended his favorite restaurants. We went to Lowell’s at Pike Market for breakfast which had great food in a casual setting and unbeatable views of Puget Sound. The best restaurant was Wild Ginger which was located near the hotel. We went there for dinner on our first night and were at first apprehensive about tacky/pretentious Asian food that could sometimes be served in North American asian restaurants. That idea went out the window as the food was authentic and delicious with great service and ambience. We didn’t eat at the hotel’s restaurants so we can’t comment.

Overall, I would give it a 9 out of 10. There was a small glitch in which our 4am morning call never came on the day that we were supposed to check-out. The hotel should have complimentary free internet service in the rooms and also provide tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms. They should also look in to the horrible traffic noise emanating from the city which reduces sleep quality in the city view rooms. Otherwise, everything was perfect. The service was top notch and the staff made you feel that you were a valued guest. Room service was excellent. Everything was brought up to us within five minutes including the electric kettle and bathroom slippers that we requested for. We ordered room service for dinner on our last night and the food and presentation was excellent. It wasn’t overly expensive either. The city of Seattle is great. We didn’t have a single drop of rain during our entire stay. Who says that it always rains in Seattle? We even had 2 days where we could see clear views of the Olympic mountains and Mount Rainier.

I would definitely stay at the Four Seasons again if I were to return to Seattle and consider staying at their hotels during my future travels.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank dragoneti

Reviewed 20 January 2011

Loved our 3 night stay here. I'd definitely recommend. Room was spacious, modern, and had a wonderful partial view of the bay overlooking the pool. We felt the stay was very good value given the experience.

Here're a few highlights from the stay:

~ Loved eating by the pool on a hot summer day. Ordered food, and while the attendant was getting it from room service, I took a swim and enjoyed the view. Got out, sun dried, and then boom -- my lunch arrived. Fantastic. (He did forget to bring me water after I asked the first time, though...)

~ Bathroom had the most amazing (yet quiet) ventilation you can imagine -- there was a glass shower door, and yet I simply could not get it to fog up no matter how hot I would turn the rain shower on. I suppose that ventilation was important since the mirror had a TV embedded in it. Overall, this is the bathroom I'd like in my own house -- great extra wide/deep tub, nice shower with tiling and a glass door, high quality toilet, TV in the mirror, and lots of marble and wood and glass everywhere. L'Occitane goods, but I have to admit I dislike their bath salts -- smell like pine & mint, which was kind of strong smelling to bathe in.

~ The room had a pretty silent ventilation system which responded very quickly to any temperature changes. Outstanding. (Also, no noise at all from any other rooms, etc.)

~ In-room POWER breakfast was incredible. We got $80 of breakfast sent up to the room which literally covered the desk. Everything was delicious -- fantastic coffee, delicious chicken sausage, a belgium waffle with the lemon curd (from the ricotta pancakes), an omelet (which admittedly wasn't a superstar), a bread basket, and fruit. Softened butter, our own sets of jams, tons of silverware and china, really just a wonderful experience. Had a great conversation overlooking the ocean, in our room. (PS: Yes, we ate most everything. It wasn't wasteful.)

~ Happy, plush bed. Classic FS.

~ I had an upset stomach one day, and ordered just some plain chicken broth... they sent it up, but also it came with some bread that I hadn't quite realized I wanted too. The best thing was a "homemade saltine" -- no, really, their chef made a copycat saltine-like cracker that was delicious. What a hilarious way to be slightly sick!

~ They did a fantastic job with a bridesmaid dress that was smooshed into a suitcase -- we were super worried, but in just a couple hours (per request) they had the dress back pressed looking better than new. Same story with a suit, etc. House car was later available to help drive around the dress.

~ The Art lounge was pretty happening (lots of people), which was kind of surprising. We only found it on our last day, as it's on the other side of the restaurant. We never would have known there were a good number of folks there mid-day... Good place for us to kill some time before a flight.

~ Great location downtown. Walking distance to Nordstrom, Pike's, etc.

Couple of confusing notes:

~ We had two buttons break off our clothes while staying there, unfortunately. We put the buttons on the nightstand on a piece of paper, in hopes that the maid would bring one of the little sewing kits to the room. She didn't. Some FS put the little sewing kit in the room by default, although Seattle doesn't, so kinda wish they would at least notice and help.

~ Front Desk agent told us we had a $50 spa credit, but I'm pretty sure we didn't. Later a runner brought up a note saying we actually had a breakfast and lunch credit. Kind of a confusing mix up.

~ No coffee in the room. I kind of don't care that you can call in-room dining to get coffee, and because in-room is brewing it you might get "the best" coffee ever (strong, hot, etc). Simply put, I want coffee & tea in my room, at all times, period. I found that whenever I wanted a cup of tea, I couldn't bring myself to justify the hassle of calling someone and orchestrating the whole event (including a tip) -- for me, these drinks are personal, and I'd like to take care of it in my own domain. (Also, please change tea brand! Not a fan of this tea Forte.)

~ Please, just buy the storage depot next door. Or at the least, pay them to allow you to paint it over with a light blue color. Whatever it costs, guys.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bostonate
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Stunning rooms, location, views, service, food and experience. Cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We stayed at the Seattle Four for 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay. We had a room on the 10th floor with a city view. The services was impeccable. Anytime we had a request, it was brought to our room within 5 minutes. The location was great - 1 block from the Market and 5-6 blocks away from Pacific Place and a few more to Pioneer Square. The only real complaint was that the Four charges an additional fee for internet connection.

The room:
- Nice furnishing, although the bed was extremely soft.
- Mini bar was fully stocked - the fridge had sensors in it, so it automatically charged our account when we removed an item. Check your final bill carefully to make sure you're not charged for anything you didn't consume.

The bathroom:
- Nicely stocked with L'Occitane products similar to other Four Seasons.
- The bath tub was extremely deep.

The locker room / gym / pool:

The locker room had a nice minimalistic design to it. The steam room was one of the largest I've ever been in, although the design was slightly flawed: there's only 1 level of seating, so you don't have a choice of hot versus hotter steam; and the ceiling is constructed from tiles so the steam collects and really hot droplets of water falls on you. I ended up wiping the ceiling above me with my towel in order to have a pleasant experience.
- Gym offered a fantastic view of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains.
- The outdoor pool was pretty small and unusable during the winter.

Restaurant:
- We didn't eat any of our meals at the hotel. We found it much cheaper and better options at the Pike Place Market. Among others, the new Tom Douglas restaurant Seatown (at Western & Virginia) offers a great breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zzzzzzgirl
Reviewed 2 January 2011

This is our third stay at the Four Seasons Seattle. We used to stay at the Fairmount, but it has become a bit tired, so we now prefer the FS. The one negative about the FS if you have kids is there is no indoor pool, which the Fairmount has. I like the modern, no fuss decor of the FS and the rooms are spacious with comfy reading chairs and lights. The lighting is good, which is important in the gray Seattle weather. This time I tried the spa and had a very good massage. My one disappointment with the FS is the restaurant. Breakfast is good, but lunch and dinner can be iffy. The food can be overly precious with too much emphasis on presentation and not enough on taste. If you have a child, however, you must order the "space needle sundae". The chef may be a dud, but the pastry chef is a genius!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We considered staying at a variety of hotels and almost stayed at Hotel 1000 - we're SO glad we chose the Four Seasons!!! The hotel is the ultimate in luxury and service and the location is unbeatable! We were staying there with a little baby and they made sure we were as comfortable as possible. They upgraded us to a suite to give us more room with the baby, provided a crib with blanket and toys and had all bath amenities/wipes/diaper pail for us. The rooms were understated but luxurious and comfortable and our views were fantastic of the bay. They have a great fitness center and pool and even provide diapers for little ones going in the pool. Every detail is covered.....we ate at ART for breakfast and dinner and the food was very good. It is a bit of a business scene for breakfast but nice nonetheless. The concierge was incredibly helpful and assisted in almost every aspect of our stay. We would highly recommend this Four Seasons and look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank lovetravelLA
Reviewed 12 December 2010

The rooms are large and quiet; bathrooms are beautiful and have a big bath; service was fantastic; location is perfect. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business