SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union
Ranked #62 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 26 May 2008

After reading the reviews I requested a room away from the the the Interstate but to be honest all sides of the hotel are bordered by city streets. At night there were sirens, motorcycles etc. It was as loud as staying in a Manhattan hotel. So if you are looking for a quiet nights sleep you might be disappointed. The room was nice and the bed was VERY firm. They give you these half pillows. There are about 8 on the bed but I couldn't get used to them. The toilet was clogged the first time we used it but housekeeping was there 5 minutes after we called them.

The breakfast which was included was outstanding. You had the waffle iron, eggs, bacon,sausage,cereal, toast ,bagels, english muffins, toast, fruit and fruit juices,yogurt,danish and of course coffee. (Hazelnut,regular and decaf.) I had no problem ever getting a table. I figured this saved me $20 bucks a day for my wife and myself. The staff are super friendly and efficient. They have a cocktail lounge were you can get appetizers and a happy hour from 4-7.

I had the friends and family rates of $89 a night and no car so I didn't have to deal with parking. Their shuttle service takes you to the Westlake Center and the Space Needle on the hour. ( It would be nice if they added a stop at Pikes Market.) You can also call them for pick up service as well. You are about a mile from the Westlake center and 2 miles to Pike's Market. You can catch a bus outside the hotel which takes you downtown, but beware nobody in Seattle including the Bus drivers know how this system works. I had three large books which I got on various buses and mine still weren't listed in them. There are hundreds of buses in this city. You only can buy an All Day pass on the bus on the weekends. During the week you have to find an outlet that sells them, the location of which, seems to be a State secret. However I must say everyone is cheerfully willing to give you advice so it was hard for me to get mad for incorrect advice because Seattlians are so nice.

There are a lot of hills in the city but if you like walking this hotel is a great choice because you are no more than 2 miles from anything. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kellyjam

Reviewed 27 April 2008

Stayed at Springhill Suites last night while in town for Supercross race at Qwest stadium. Got a great rate, with taxes and valet parking fee $103., but still not worth it IMO.
The front desk people were great, gave me keys to 2 rooms to check out the noice level, I selected a room on the back side of the 9th floor which had a view of the sound, which was nice. The drapes are only for looks as they do not close (why?), so at about 5am the room started to light up, and though the noice from the Interstate was not loud enough to wake us up it was loud enough to keep us awake combined with the lit up room!
The $21.78 manditory valet parking was a pain, we called ahead, our car was there when we came down but we had to wait for a long time to get the keys because they were so unorganized.
Marriott has been consistently one of our favorite places to stay around the US, but not this one.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank funmomwithteens
Reviewed 25 April 2008

This hotel was an awesome deal! We booked through seattlesupersaver.com and it was only $100 a night for king suites!

It's in sort of a random spot but it's a quick walk, shuttle ride or cab ride to downtown stuff. They have a shuttle that leaves the hotel once an hour and it was only $6-8 for a cab ride to other neighborhoods.

The rooms were big and clean and and the hot breakfast buffet was great.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank bkem
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Taking other posters' advice, we called ahead to request a room NOT on the interstate side of the hotel, and they gladly complied. We arrived late on a Friday night .. room was clean, quiet, and nice. Our room had a king size bed, jack and jill bathroom, pullout sofa, and sink, mini-fridge and microwave.

Breakfast in the morning was great -- Saturday morning was a little busy, there were not enough tables for the quantity of people at breakfast so we had to take our breakfast back to the room to eat it -- lots to choose from: waffles, bagels, cereal, eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, cottage cheese, coffee, tea, juice, milk..

Location was right off I-5, great for drivers -- my husband and I did alot of walking to see the sights and we decided it was "almost" too far to walk downtown or to the waterfront. We did it twice -- took about 25 minutes.

Starbucks across the street (of course!!) , Subway across the street as well .. REI is less than 2 blocks away, a nice place to see closeby!

Hotel bar closed at 11pm on Saturday night, seemed odd.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pharmernicole
Reviewed 30 March 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights and overall had a good, but not great, experience. The first day we were there, we left the privacy sign on the hotel room door to allow the kids to sleep in for a bit. Left the room at 11am, and removed the sign. The room was not cleaned that day.

The breakfast was excellent although the line up for the buffet and waffles sometimes reached the back of the room. On 2 of the 3 mornings, I left the kids upstairs and stood in the line up and brought the breakfast back to the room since there was no seating in the restaurant.

The room itself (on the 4th floor) was spacious, and facing the highway. We had no problem sleeping and didn't find it noisy. We appreciated the microwave and fridge in the room. Also, even though it wasn't a true suite (seperate rooms), it had 2 TVs which was appreciated!!. The pool is small, but ideal with kids as the deepest it gets is 4'6". The staff were friendly and courteous, allowing us to add an extra night for the same rate we'd already booked in at.

We walked to the monorail with 2 children under 8 in about 10mins and cabbed it to Pike Place the next day ($8 including tip). Great location close to amenities for the price. I would stay there again for a vacation with the kids. Wouldn't choose it for a romantic weekend though.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2008

We stayed here for 1 week and enjoyed it. My wife had a conference at the convention center Sun-Wed and I worked from the hotel room. The chair, desk, and free wired internet were fine and I had no problems. The mini-fridge was nice to have too. We didn't use the 24 hour fitness directly across the street but it was free with room card. We did use the hotel pool/hot tub and it was nice. It was only 10-15 minute walk to the convention center if you weren't able to take the hotel shuttle that only left on the hour.
We did have a room on the 5th floor that faced the highway (I-5 is very close). The traffic was somewhat loud, but I didn't find it very disturbing. I always bring earplugs when staying in hotels and slept fine with them in. If you are sensitive to noise, you should request a room that does not face I-5. The only real complaint I had was it was all one big room. I guess I am used to Embassy Suites where the bedroom is separated by a wall and door. You could not have one person sleep and another watch TV since the TV was between the bed and couch (with 1/2 wall between them).
The breakfast was surprisingly good. You could make your own waffles and they even had fruit and whipped cream toppings along with maple and boysenberry syrup. They had 5+ types of cereal, several types of breads and toasters, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, fruit, and milk/juices/coffee daily. Some days they even had pancakes, but not every day.
Overall, a nice hotel with free internet and free breakfast downtown. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank robstrash
Reviewed 25 March 2008

The Springhill Suites was a pleasant surprise. It was very clean, rooms were spacious with a mini fridge and a microwave. A free hot breakfast every morning, and most of all the friendliest staff I have encountered in a long time. They also have an arrangement to use the facilities at the 24 hour gym across the street free of charge. I would suggest not renting a car since driving and parking in Seattle is a total disaster, plus you end up spending a small fortune on parking no matter where you go. They have an hourly free shuttle that goes to the Space Needle and shopping area, and from there you can catch the monorail. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family