“Really comfortable and cozy stay”

SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union
Ranked #63 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Bengaluru, India
“Really comfortable and cozy stay”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for 10 days in June 2013 for a business visit and loved my stay here.

Main pros : Comfortable room with all amenities, Convenient location with all points of interest within walkable distance,Free shuttle to Convention Centre, 24-hr gym access

Main Cons: Limited parking with compulsory valet, street noise, so-so breakfast with fixed menu everyday.

In detail:

The reception is always attended to by professional and helpful staff who quickly sorted out my check-in formalities ( Credit Card authorization etc).

The room was nicely furnished with features like a separate large work desk ( wooden) with a LAN port for laptop. The separate kitchen counter too was very utilitarian with a microwave oven and coffee maker. There's a full-sized couch with a teapoy which was useful when friends came over to visit. A BIG window with a full view of the street which meant lots of light if you wished but they have different layers of curtains if you dont like too much light. The bed was very clean, fresh-smelling and soft. They had an iPod dock on the side-table beside the bed. A nice little closet for clothes with a good pressing iron and ironing board. Clean bathroom with ample space.

Service was great too. Shampoo/conditioner bottles replenished regularly. Fresh and clean. towels provided if towels have been used. Wash area cleaned and bed straightened out everyday.

Breakfast was the only thing that was a big let down for me. It was quite bland and the menu was same throughout the 9-day stay although the number of items was quite big. I preferred to go out most of the time instead. Another painpoint was that there are not many restaurants closeby except for a Subway across the street. One has to walk for 15-20 minutes to find a good restaurant.

There are other little things that make this a great option in Seattle : Extremely helpful reception clerks who helped with most of my chores ( getting a cab, keeping money in safe locker, keeping my luggage at the reception after checkout) 24-hr Gym access (although located across the street), Free shuttle to convention centre, 24-hr open packed food outlet inside the hotel by the reception(called 'The Market').

Overall, I had a very comfortable and memorable stay here and will definitely go back to this hotel when I'm in Seattle next.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the Yale Ave and not the expressway. It can get really noisy if your room is fa...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I like Courtyards but when family from overseas picked this hotel, I changed our booking and was really happy I did so. The location is ideal for most sites - Children's Museum, Science Museum, Pike's, Aquarium, Space Needle etc. (ok not campus, but I did visit it unintentionally - #lostwhilerunning.
The breakfast was not your typical cattle call. No creepy beepy waffle iron and some healthy options (salsa!). I wish there had been Greek yogurt every day (it was a rare treat). The Room was clean and while "suite" is a stretch, it did provide room to work and sleep.
One desk clerk (female) was incredibly helpful and when she couldn't book our family in an adjacent room she noted the account so they would be one floor below us. A male desk clerk was a bit of a negative nabob when I asked about a running route to the lake he gave me advice about the lack of safety in running before dawn. Please.

Room Tip: 10th floor! Because we changed our booking from Courtyard to here at the last minute, we ended up s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank predawnrunner
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed here for the second time for a conference and found a few of the features made it a good choice. I appreciated the large desk, the separate counter for the coffee-maker, a comfortable couch with a good-sized coffee table and a very comfortable bed.

The breakfast in the morning was good and, despite the popularity of it, the staff managed to keep it well-stocked and the tables relatively clear. It's one of the better hotel breakfasts I've had.

I was a little disappointed that I still couldn't find a grocery store or produce market within easy walking distance of the hotel. However, I did eat a few suppers in the lounge. I was impressed with the quality of the food for the price. The bartender/server was very friendly and despite the fact that he was juggling a lot at once, he kept the orders straight, cleared the tables and was friendly. If you stay at this hotel, I'd highly recommend going to the lounge for drink or snack.

The morning shuttle to the conference center is very helpful. However, I never did successfully manage to catch it home despite following the instructions given at the hotel lobby desk. I saw the van but never could get to it before it drove away. It's not overly far to walk back to the hotel if you are accustomed to walking but I would not walk it alone at night seeing as one of the areas you have to walk through is a little rough. I really appreciated that I could take a shuttle to the transit station so that I could get on the train for the SeaTac on the way home.

I only had one disappointment. When I was there earlier in January 2013 they were remodelling the swimming pool. When I booked the hotel I was told that it would have a newly remodelled pool when I stayed there but it remained closed the entire time I stayed there and there was no working being done. I do enjoy using a pool when I stay at a hotel so that was a disappointment. The desk staff told me that I could go to a nearby gym to use the pool there but when I went there the staff there wouldn't let me use the pool without a gym membership. I'm not sure what went wrong with that and things were fine at my next stay.

However, it's a great hotel for business travel and I'd continue stay there again when in Seattle.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Southern California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I found this hotel to be very nice with a nice layout and helpful staff. I have only two major complaints about this hotel,the having to use the valet and the street noise. The location is pretty good if you plan on spending most of your time downtown (otherwise this is a negative due to traffic in and around the area) the rooms are laid out pretty good utualizing every available space possible to the maximum, but because this is downtown and it is located on a very busy street and feet from the busy highway and the noise from the streets comes into the rooms; now I am not saying you cant hear yourself think kind of noisy but if you are a light sleeper you may a problem with this location, and I was up on a higher floor (cant imagine being closer to the street level). I have never liked a hotel telling me I MUST valet park my car so this item alone would keep me away in the future. The only other minor negative item was the breakfast as I found it to be flavorless; the eggs themselves were either dry or overcooked (no they are not the same) and the other selections are bland at best. There is a busy location so expect to run into some people in the lobby and around the hotel (the elevators get quit the workout) I don't know if I would stay here again but I do see the draw and appeal of this location. The Majority clientele seems to be more business people & couples then families with kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the front of the hotel or the highway.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heumanntouch
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here post cruise. Nice business hotel with an big free breakfast. Food from the restaurant and bar in the evening is good and bartender is very efficient and friendly. Room was very clean and staff very helpful and friendly. Room layout could use some adjustment though. When the sofa bed is pulled out for a third person in the room, the end of the bed hits the TV stand and it completely blocks the desk, sink and door area. If this was switched around to be in the nook where the desk is it would solve the space issue. As it is right now I would not recommend the room for three people, too cramped when the bed is out. Also, wondered why we had to pull out ourselves and make the bed? Most hotels have this already set up for you before you check in. Windows are a bit thin so street noise even on the 8th floor is very noticeable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed there during my weekend trip to Seattle,
I found the room clean and comfortable, the FREE breakfast was good.
One reason I will try not to come back to this hotel for is that it is too far from Pike Market. For me as a tourist I value my time and this hotel is maybe a half-a-mile too far from the center for my taste. In case you do not want to do the touristy-thing, then by all means, this is a good good hotel and I can recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cedar Crest, New Mexico
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at this Marriott Springhill Suites while my husband received medical care at Harborview Medical Center. You can easily access the Medical Center (1 mile away), downtown area attractions (the Space Needle, Pacific Science Center, Pikes Market), and shopping from this hotel; they even have a shuttle that makes stops at Seattle Center and the Convention Center which made it extra convenient for us. Most importantly, they have a staff outstanding in its service to customers. From the housecleaners to the restaurant staff to the front desk staff, they gave us service that exceeded our expectations (and we stay at Marriott hotels around the world). Jessica especially went above and beyond to meet our needs which prompted me to write this review; she epitomizes JW Marriott's hospitality culture!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris M
Frank F, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Good Day Chris M,
Thank you for the property review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel.
We look forward to your next visit.

Regards,