“A Bit Out of the Way , But a Great Place to Stay”

SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union
Ranked #60 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This Springhill Suites is not an easy walk to most attractions, but they run a free shuttle every half hour to locations that are within walking distance to the Pike Place Market area, shopping area and Space Needle. The front desk staff is very courteous and accommodating, and the complimentary breakfast is better than most. Suites are very comfortable and reasonably priced making it a nice place to stay.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

So let's get this part out of the way. This is a hotel that sits right on the interstate. If your room overlooks the interstate, there will be some traffic noise. Period. I just consider it white noise and it doesn't bother me because it's constant plus I enjoyed watching the neighborhood on the other side of the interstate during my 3 night stay here.

I found the property to be an easy walk to Pikes Place Market, Seattle Art Museum, Ferry terminals and beyond as well as to the City Centre area and I'm not what you would call an exercise addict.

My room was what I was expecting. You walk in and counter, sink, mini fridge, and coffee maker was on the right along with a nice size desk. Large sofa on the left. Walk on through to the king size bed and large window with the bathroom on the right. The bed was the usual comfy Marriott bed. The sofa was long enough to stretch out on to watch TV without my legs hanging over the edge so I decided to pull it out for kicks and was surprised to find that it was a queen size pull out instead of the usual double. I couldn't hear the plumbing from other rooms which made me happy. More attention could have been paid by the cleaning crew. I found an apple between my bed and the nightstand and hair in the bathtub but my white socks stayed white when walking around.

I bought dips, cheeses and crackers from DeLaurentis in the Market so I could eat dinner in and was pleased to find heavy paper plates and utensils without having to ask for them. Breakfast was normal buffet fare.

I was disappointed that the front desk was rather snippy on the few times I had to interact with them. I understand that they were full up and busy but still no excuse. Would I stay here again? Depends on my budget. This property is right priced for the location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Glassgal
Frank F, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Glassgal,
Thank you for your review of our property. We are glad that you think we are a good value. Please accept my apologies for less than courteous treatment you received by our front desk. I will go over your comments with the leaders from housekeeping and the front office. We can do much better.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for our two nights in Seattle. The accommodation was perfect. We had a big room with sofa, kitchenette, great TV, two comfy beds and an OK view. WiFi was fast and reliable. Only slight criticism of the room would be the noise from the freeway. Breakfast was great. Staff all very friendly and the free downtown shuttle was a bonus but you can walk it in 10 mins. We arrived from Seatac airport by the light transit system to Westlake station and walked the 10 mins from there - it cost us $2 each instead of $40 in a cab - top tip!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank simonjdawes
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Had a room for 2 nights for three ladies. The price was right, the people friendly and helpful. The location was good for people who don't mind walking a ways. The shuttle went to the Space needle for the needle and the wonderful Chihuly Glass garden, and into the Centre of town for shopping.
Great breakfast and the restaurant food was really fine.

Room Tip: We had a room with 2 double beds and a pull out queen which was perfect for 3 old gals!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've been a Marriott regular for over 25 years, but I may not be much longer. This downtown hotel, was a least a mile from the heart of the city. The rooms were not quiet. I was moved to the highest available floor and still had to put up with street noise. Certainly not Marriott quality. The parking charges were high, the shuttle ran infrequently and the taxicabs were costly. On top of everything else, after being gone till 4:00pm, two days in a row, the rooms were not cleaned.

1  Thank EllentheCounselor
Frank F, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear EllentheCounselor,
Thank you for the review of our property. I am sorry we fell short of your expectations as far as our location and the impact of the nearby freeway. I will go over your comments regarding our housekeeping with the leadership of that department. We strive to do a much better job. I hope you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves next time you require lodging in the Seattle Area.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for 10 days in June 2013 for a business visit and loved my stay here.

Main pros : Comfortable room with all amenities, Convenient location with all points of interest within walkable distance,Free shuttle to Convention Centre, 24-hr gym access

Main Cons: Limited parking with compulsory valet, street noise, so-so breakfast with fixed menu everyday.

In detail:

The reception is always attended to by professional and helpful staff who quickly sorted out my check-in formalities ( Credit Card authorization etc).

The room was nicely furnished with features like a separate large work desk ( wooden) with a LAN port for laptop. The separate kitchen counter too was very utilitarian with a microwave oven and coffee maker. There's a full-sized couch with a teapoy which was useful when friends came over to visit. A BIG window with a full view of the street which meant lots of light if you wished but they have different layers of curtains if you dont like too much light. The bed was very clean, fresh-smelling and soft. They had an iPod dock on the side-table beside the bed. A nice little closet for clothes with a good pressing iron and ironing board. Clean bathroom with ample space.

Service was great too. Shampoo/conditioner bottles replenished regularly. Fresh and clean. towels provided if towels have been used. Wash area cleaned and bed straightened out everyday.

Breakfast was the only thing that was a big let down for me. It was quite bland and the menu was same throughout the 9-day stay although the number of items was quite big. I preferred to go out most of the time instead. Another painpoint was that there are not many restaurants closeby except for a Subway across the street. One has to walk for 15-20 minutes to find a good restaurant.

There are other little things that make this a great option in Seattle : Extremely helpful reception clerks who helped with most of my chores ( getting a cab, keeping money in safe locker, keeping my luggage at the reception after checkout) 24-hr Gym access (although located across the street), Free shuttle to convention centre, 24-hr open packed food outlet inside the hotel by the reception(called 'The Market').

Overall, I had a very comfortable and memorable stay here and will definitely go back to this hotel when I'm in Seattle next.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the Yale Ave and not the expressway. It can get really noisy if your room is fa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I like Courtyards but when family from overseas picked this hotel, I changed our booking and was really happy I did so. The location is ideal for most sites - Children's Museum, Science Museum, Pike's, Aquarium, Space Needle etc. (ok not campus, but I did visit it unintentionally - #lostwhilerunning.
The breakfast was not your typical cattle call. No creepy beepy waffle iron and some healthy options (salsa!). I wish there had been Greek yogurt every day (it was a rare treat). The Room was clean and while "suite" is a stretch, it did provide room to work and sleep.
One desk clerk (female) was incredibly helpful and when she couldn't book our family in an adjacent room she noted the account so they would be one floor below us. A male desk clerk was a bit of a negative nabob when I asked about a running route to the lake he gave me advice about the lack of safety in running before dawn. Please.

Room Tip: 10th floor! Because we changed our booking from Courtyard to here at the last minute, we ended up s...
1  Thank predawnrunner