“Worst Marriott hotel I have ever stayed in!”

SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union
Ranked #62 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My friends and I were staying in Seattle for the Mariners vs. Red Sox games June 23 -june 25th. There was four of us, 3 guys and 1 girl. they gave us a king bed with a pull out coach. We werent in our room until 11 pm and when I pulled out the coach the was a Poop stain on the mattress, then we go and get the sheets for the pull out coach and the was Poop and urine stains on those. I called to get a new mattress and sheets but they only brought us sheets and couldnt give us a new mattress. The breakfast the next morning was very busy, ran out of plates, forks, knifes, only had spoons. the eggs were ok, the hashbrowns were hard and cold, the bacon was turkey bacon and liked more like a slice of ham, i ended up having an english muffin and a very small glass of apple juice, because the glasses were the size u would give to a 2 year old. it took 25 minutes for a tax, it was quicker if i called then the front desk. The bathroom was dirty and in the room there was no venting system, and if there was it wasnt working, it smelled so bad in the room, the house keeping had to keep the doors open in every room that they were cleaning because there was ventingsystem. overall worst marriott hotel i have ever stayed in. I will never stay in that hotel ever again! It was gross!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank rachellepeters
Frank F, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear rachellepeters,
Thank you for your review of our property. Please accept my apologies for conditions you found less than acceptable. Please call me directly at 206 403 2271 to discuss your stay in more detail.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

A few weeks ago we booked two rooms at this hotel for 2 nights in July 2014. I phoned this morning, July 4, around 9.40 am to reserve a crib for one of the rooms. The guy assisting me on the phone could not find the reservation, and told me there was none. He seemed quite confused, and out of it, and struggled to get the month and the days of our stay straight which I had to repeat several times before he got it right. So when he found it eventually, he told me that they were going to cancel the rooms because they did not have a credit card number. This was never asked when we reserved the rooms weeks ago, which did seem strange at the time, but we were under the impression that everything was fine with the reservation. So I gave him the card number to secure the rooms, and he sent me the exact same e-mail three times in two minutes to confirm the booking.
Apprehensive after my dealings with this person, I checked the confirmation e-mail, and BINGO, he had booked only one room after I had said expressly a few times that we needed two rooms just as the original booking was for. So I phoned Reservations at the hotel immediately just to be told that there were no more rooms available. I was really upset, and was being put through to a manager, who never came on the phone. I put the phone down, phoned again, asked to speak to a manager, and was put on hold. After ten minutes on hold I put the phone down again.
We are 12 members from the same family who had decided to stay at this hotel for two nights. So nine now have accomodation there, and three don't. We've been looking forward to this for months, have not seen each other in a long time, and this was supposed to be a family gathering in the same place, but thanks to this reservations clerk's incompetence everything has now been thoroughly screwed up. I am very disappointed by this turn of events, and I'm not even sure that we will find another hotel room in downtown Seattle for those dates. Most hotels are pretty full already unless you are prepared to pay a premium. So we are up the creek without a paddle. Thanks Marriot!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 123reis
Frank F, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear 123reis,
We appreciate the time you took to complete a review of the situation you have experienced with our reservations network. Please accept my apologies for the frustration you have endured. Please call me directly at 206 403 2271. I will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Reviewed 3 July 2014

What a great place at a decent price for Downtown Seattle. It has all the usual SpringHill Suites amenities, but what sets this place apart is a bar and bistro restaurant that most other SpringHill properties do not have.

Spacious clean room and bathroom and this day was warm one, so I used the AC. It worked great.

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance, thought the in house bistro serves some nice food and great draft beer.

The complimentary breakfast has to be the best I have ever had at a Springhill Suites. The had scrambled eggs, but they were fresh and cooked perfectly (not the soggy powdered eggs served at most other places like hampton inns.) Turkey sausage links, fruit, pastries & breads. Truly an excellent breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, even numbered room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank The_Traveler_2013
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was a nice hotel, nothing special. Neighborhood looks a little rough so we didn't do any walking. Lots of taxis available for transportation to airport or cruise terminal. Free breakfast was good with lots of choices, especially with our finicky eating children . Staff was accommodating. Don't know if we'd stay here again...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Good Day DaDouty,
Thank you for your review. We are glad you had a positive stay.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here for one night. Had view facing I-5 and the REI building (nothing exciting). Room comfortable with 2 beds and a sofa bed. Nice full size bathroom, needed a little extra attention by cleaning staff (noticed mold under soap holder in bath). Noise not an issue for us. Breakfast free and adequate with warm selection of eggs, bacon & french toast as well as fresh fruit. Spouse commented breakfast better than most he sees when traveling for business.

Valet Parking & Check-in were our main complaint. Very busy in drive, took a while for valet to come to car. Then had to wait in check-in line behind 10 people (?convention goers) that were paying for parking. No luggage assist offered. If there was a shuttle, we were not informed. We did ask for directions to restaurants and were give general, not specific walking directions (thank goodness for gps on phone). Front desk staff at check-in did not offer any information other than what we asked for, not unfriendly, but also not welcoming.

We found we were able to walk to what we wanted. We walked to Pike Place Market in the evening and the following morning. A comfortable walk, even in the rain. Lots of traffic to cross, but lights are walker friendly in the city.

All in all, met our needs for a night in Seattle to see the sights and get a good night sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this spring hill suite. It was clean, comfortable, roomy and the staff was exceptionally nice. However it's on the last block leading into the highway and it was quite noisy at night with all types of vehicles revving up to go up the hill onto the highway. So maybe ask for a room on the other side. We also felt uncomfortable walking to downtown but the hotel offers good shuttle service and cabs are not unreasonable.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This Springhill Suites, as many others have said, not in the heart of downtown. The good news is the price (at least when we stayed) makes up for the few extra minutes of transportation time. The hotel has a great shuttle service that will drop you and/or pick you up at the Space Needle or Convention Center area. There is an established schedule and the shuttle is very easy to use. It can get full, so make your reservations. We stayed here for a few days before a Sunday cruise departure. The hotel desk staff was very helpful in making reservations for a shuttle to the dock.

The hotel was very busy and breakfast was really crowded. The breakfast has many choices that are not typical prepared hotel breakfast fare. There's a restaurant onsite, but we did not try it. The menu actually looked decent.

We used the laundry facilities and they were nice.

I probably would not venture around too much after dark, as the neighborhood is definitely one in transition. Not bad at all during the day, but slightly rough around the edges.

There was a dirty sock in our room between the sofa sleeper and the wall. Yuck. The mattress on the sleeper sofa was atrocious, even more so than most.

We would stay here again if we head back to Seattle and the downtown Marriott property is as expensive as it would have been this time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family