“Surprised & Delighted”

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our wedding night so we decided to go back for our two year anniversary. I had spoken with Wesley the two years before, and so I asked to speak with him again when making my reservation.

When we arrived for checkin, Wesley was helping another guest so Hunter checked us in. Wes had made some notes apparently that it was our anniversary and we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite!!! When we went up to our room, we were absolutely blown away. Not only was it the nicest hotel suite I have ever seen, let alone stayed in, but they also sent up champagne and cupcakes for us. We spent the better part of 30 minutes just taking pictures of the room to brag to our friends later. So fun.

All in all, it was an incredible surprise for us and we had a wonderful time.
Thank you Hotel Deca and Wesley! We will absolutely be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Thank you! It’s great to be able to write my last response at Hotel Deca to such a nice review. The company that manages Hotel Deca has acquired a new hotel in CA and I’m headed down to lead the charge. It’s been a wonderful 5 and ½ years working with the amazing team here at Hotel Deca and meeting so many of you, our guests. We truly appreciate every one of you that comes thru our front doors because we can’t do it without you. Thank you all so much for the opportunity to serve. I know I leave you in the hands of the best team in the business, the Hotel Deca family. All the best and come visit me on the beach in Monterrey!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed 23 July 2011

The Deca is one of my favorite places to stay in Seattle. The rooms are not large, but the interior design is stunning. It's a memorable place to stay, and the views are some of the best in the city. (The hotel is at the top of the hill in the U. District.) It's a romantic and unique property. Being able to walk to so many great lunch spots in the U. District is also a plus. Parking is reasonably priced for the city, and the hotel is easily accessed by car, where some of the downtown hotels can be stressful to approach in traffic. The service is always friendly.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Thanks! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2011

I spent three nights at the Hotel Deca to attend a seminar at the University Law School. The law school building is a short walk from the hotel (about three blocks). The hotel is in an excellent location with good access to a variety of restaurants within walking distance.

The rooms are in excellent shape with appealing decor. Hotel Deca features an in room DVD player and has a library of DVDs available to guests. I cannot comment on the quality of the selection as I brought my own entertainment.

The beds are comfortable with plenty of pillows. However, the pillows are extra soft and don't provide much support if you are trying to prop yourself up. The nightstand has a great clock radio with iPod and line out connectors to attach your MP3 player.

The hotel offers free WiFi with a guest access code. The connection is adequate as far as broadband connections go. The signal was a little weak in my hotel room but very good in the hotel lobby and restaurant. The connection timed out frequently while online requiring me to input the access code over again.

My biggest complaint is the in room lightning. The bed side lamps are very weak and don't provide very much light for reading.

I spent most of my time in meetings, and so I can't comment on the hotel staff and other amenities as I did not have time to make use of them. Overall, it the accommodation was very good, and I would stay there again if I have business at the university.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I not sure why the wifi would time out like that, but we’ll check the settings with the internet service provider. We’ve heard the comment about the bedside lamps a couple of times and are looking into alternatives. Safe travels!

Reviewed 21 July 2011

We stayed from the 1st to the 5th of July and really enjoyed Hotel Deca. The staff were very friendly and helpful, even when they were working on 4th July. The cafe (Tullys) attached to hotel is very convinient and the restaraunt also attached (The District) was alao very nice and reasonably priced. Alcohol was very cheap during happy hour.

After initially declining a $15 per night room upgrade to a double queen suite, the guy at the desk bumped us up for free anyway.

It's fairly easy to get around on the bus from one street over and there's mostly young college folk on board so it's a comfy ride.

Finally, we left our camera behind in the room and only realised when we got to the Amtrak station. We called and the front desk was only too happy to collect it, wrap it in bubble wrap and send to our next stay in Vancouver, Canada.

I'd recomend this place to anyone and the renovations to building look great.

• Stayed: July 2011

Thanks for the recommend. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

We spent five days in June at the Hotel Deca. This is the 6th or 7th time I have stayed there and have always had a fabulous experience. We prefer boutique hotels. Location is great. Proximity to the University is huge selling point. Even if you are not there for University purposes, do not miss a chance to walk around that spectacular campus!! The staff is unsurpassed--young, super friendly, always helpful. We have only used the shuttle a few times, but I think they will take you any where. Rooms have a European feel, and have HANDS DOWN the best linens and pillows of any hotel I have ever stayed at. The bar restaurant is one of the best kept secrets of the U District. Small but interesting menu, and again, super staff. Honestly, I do not have a single gripe about this hotel.

Finally, do not miss the U District farmer's market. It is 2 blocks away from the hotel and is open only on Saturdays (I think), all year round. It puts Pikes to shame. Very authentic, not touristy and you can sample veggies, cheeses, meats, mushrooms, honeys, syrups, pastries, etc etc. Flowers are spectacular. Always music, tons of fun. Eat your breakfast there too!!

I

Sent from my iPad

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Thanks Mrs. H! And congratulations again on your son’s graduation from UW. I forwarded your review of the director of the U District Farmer’s market and she loved it. I agree with you 100%. If I’m in the area on a weekend it’s the 1st place I go. All the best, Don.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

Planning a family trip with our grandkids, we tried booking a room on this hotel's web site only to have it crash on us. We called their reservation line and they made a new reservation for us, saying they would look into whether the web reservation had gone through and cancel it if it had so we weren't double booked. When we showed up at the desk they showed the web reservation as having been made and canceled but had no record of the reservation made via phone. Fair enough, these things can happen, but this is where things went from bad to worse. Having arrived after a day of traveling with our 9 and 11 year old grandkids, we were obviously frazzled and tired. Their response was to alternately leave us sitting in the lobby and send out various supervisors to question us again and again about just what happened. At the end of all of this they announced they had no room for us. They said they would try to find an equivalent room in a nearby hotel, and came up with what was obviously a third-rate hotel (the room would cost about 1/3 their rate and include breakfast) which was a mile away from their desirable location, or anything else. When we pointed out that this fell far short of an equivalent room nearby they "went back to the drawing board." After spending a total of just under two hours in their lobby I went to the counter and told the desk clerk to please get the manager as we were tired of waiting. The desk clerk returned without the manager to announce that they were still working hard on it so we walked out. No one tried to stop us or even said sorry for the mixup. If this is the kind of service you get before you even get in the door, heaven help you if a problem emerges after you're checked in! This hotel charges premium prices for a level of service Motel 6 would be ashamed of.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank JimVancouver
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Dear LT, it is unfortunate that we were unable to accommodate you and your family last night. I apologize that we apparently did not do a better job communicating the efforts we were making to rectify the situation. I’m not sure if proper introductions were not made, but two our senior managers were the ones assisting you to try and find a solution, and are the individuals you spoke to in the lobby. Because pretty much every hotel in Seattle was sold-out for the night we tried very hard to first confirm your reservations at Hotel Deca before making arrangements for you at a nearby hotel. This took a little time, but we wanted to make every effort to find out what had happened with your reservation. I don’t know why your reservation that was made and confirmed online was also cancelled online 23 hours later. This was recorded by our systems as two separate transactions generated from the same computer address. Confirmation and cancellation emails were also generated and sent 5 days before you were due to stay. I also don’t know why we could not find any record of the reservation you made by calling our reservations number. Once again, this takes a little time to research because there are multiple ways to search. We tried to search by name, address, credit card #, phone #, email address, etc, but could not find any record of your information associated with any reservation in our system. Unfortunately at that point we did not have any other way to validate the reservation and therefore tried to assist in finding accommodations at another hotel with the same star rating as Hotel Deca. I’m sorry that this was not a satisfactory alternative, but as I mentioned above, there were very few rooms left in the entire city and our choices were therefore limited. We have requested some additional reports from our website technicians and the call records from our reservations office to see if there is something we missed. As you can see from previous reviews we are not perfect, but we admit when we make a mistake and work hard to make it right. Thank you.

Reviewed 16 July 2011

Hotel Deca's very conveniently located to the U.W. campus and within very convenient walking distance of a number of lovely sights in Seattle. The hotel itself is older (historic!) but clean and well-kept. I was there for a small conference, and spent most of my time either at my computer in the room, asleep, or at the conference. the rooms do include free wifi but expect to pay for parking (the fee is reasonable). there is a tiny business center downstairs (two computers connected to a single printer, all in plain view of the front desk) that guests can use free of charge. i didn't notice any noise issues and thought the service was decent. the hotel was pricey but i think that's normal for that part of seattle (and still less expensive than downtown seattle, where my next conference was!) i'm not sure if the hotel provided the meals i ate at the conference but if yes, i can vouch that the food is decent also. i'd recommend it if you need to stay somewhere close to U.W.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. We do provide the catering service for our conferences and I will pass on your compliments to our chef!