“Historic Hotel with Remodeled Rooms”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed here on a business trip in September for the Intel AppUp Elements event. We asked for a quiet room and were placed in a corner room on the 6th floor, facing the parking lot and Brooklyn Ave NE. The hotel is like the Art Deco-ish version of the Ace Hotel, although without the idiosyncratic scribblings on the walls.

Plus:

Although this is an old hotel, the rooms have been recently remodeled in the memorable style of a boutique hotel that tries maintaining elements from its historic roots. The bed was wonderful - the mattress was just so perfectly soft and the bedding was luxurious for the price-point. The bathroom toilet, showerhead and sink were new, but were of a historic 1950s style.

Quaint blue art-deco arm chair and odd long cylindrical art deco pillow on the bed.

Tully's Coffee attached - wonderful coffee freeze's!

The four green chairs seem iconic of the hotel - the same image was printed on the room key card!

Free Wi-Fi (then again, this being so close to UW, that's not a big issue)

Location - right across the street from a UW building, a short block away from the main UW campus. Also, convenient access to Seattle (free shuttle, when available), and a fifteen minute drive to Bellevue, Washington, across the bridge.

The hotel staff, being mostly UW students, gave some good restaurant suggestions.

Very interesting bottled water in the room, shaped like a classic art deco building. Was tempted to buy it just for the bottle!

Minus:

The corridors on the room floors were moldy and a bit dank, needing remodeling.

The front desk was stingy about the courtesy shuttle, almost always denying its availability, but when we walked downstairs to the shuttle directly, we found that the shuttle was actually available!

Corner room was a bit small, but was the only one available on the quieter side.

We booked a 3 night stay, and it didn't come with any perks. We rented a car for just one of the days, but we had to ask for comp'd parking.

Room Tip: Try a room facing the parking lot, on the side away from the HVAC for a quieter room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Dear yosunC
I wanted to thank you for taking to time to point out so many wonderful features about the hotel. I think you hit the mark on what makes us such a unique, fun, and exciting hotel.
I did want to comment on a couple comments you made in the “con” section. I will agree that our halls are slightly dark but that is consistent with the “art deco” theme throughout the hotel. I can assure you that while the halls are a little dark, they are not moldy. The shuttle is also on a first come first serve basis. Often it is out front but unavailable because we have a scheduled run and cannot fit in a quick run in between. We actually encourage our team to take as many trips as possible during the day. It is a wonderful service and we want it to be utilized as much as possible. I always recommend making reservations as far in advance as possible. It does help to make sure the car is available when you need it.
I hope the “cons” do not keep you from staying with us again. We really hope to see you again.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

The Hotel Deca will not ever try to outshine its competition with fancy meeting rooms and swanky chairs around a roaring fire... Although, it could!!! The rooms are just stylish enough, all with a view. The adjacent coffee shop screams "Welcome to Seattle"...
No, The Hotel Deca makes its mark with its staff. I could go over every small experience and relate to you the smile here or the helpful gesture there. I encountered those types of things at every turn. Two staff members went above and beyond making my trip and enjoyable one. Firstly, Colin,.... you are the man. Thanks again for the help setting up my week stay with you, your patience set the tone that my long week was going to be made most comfortable, once i made it home to Hotel Deca. Thanks again Colin. Once at Hotel Deca, walk downstairs to "The District" this place is very nice, food and drinks all very good and affordable. The staff all great, but special thanks to Robyn. Great bartender, let me talk her ear off. Without people like this its all just brick and mortar.... thanks guys.
-e

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank griftered

Hello griftered.
Thank you for recognizing our outstanding staff at the hotel. I believe what sets us apart from most hotels is our amazing team. Colin will be jazzed to read your comments and I know it will make Robin’s day. Both of these team members are just part of what makes our hotel truly special. I hope we get to see you again during your next visit to Seattle
General Manger

Reviewed 21 November 2011

I have just returned from a super shopping trip to University Village with two girlfriends and we stayed at the Hotel Deca because of its' proximity to U.Village. Our experience was first class, Colin greeted us at the front desk and was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations, and he was so welcoming and friendly. He sent a bottle of bubbles to our room which was unexpected but just what we needed after a LONG day of shopping! Will was also very helpful and took the time to call a pub and asked them to please keep the kitchen open as 3 hungry shoppers were on their way!
The beds and pillows were very comfortable as well, walls a little thin as we could hear our neighbours but that was a minor detail for an overall fabulous experience.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank 88Sarah12345678

Dear 88Sarah12345678,
Thank you for letting us host your girl’s getaway. I am not sure if you were able to take advantage of the hotel shuttle but it is a great way to get to the hotel after a long day of shopping. The U Village is one of the premier shopping destinations in the city so it is nice to be close by. We look forward to hosting your next girl’s getaway.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed at the hotel Deca for many days over a period of weeks. It was very comfortable and so conveniently located. There are lots of restaurants within a couple of blocks and a grocery store just down the street. Upon request you can have a frig and microwave in your room. I enjoyed the nice bathtub and the view of Mt. Rainier out the window. I will stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Dear Tinygardens,
I am so glad we made all of your visits to Hotel Deca so pleasant. The entire team strives to treat our guests to truly outstanding experiences. I know they will be thrilled to read your review. We look forward to your next visit.
General Manger

Reviewed 20 November 2011

I only stayed for one night but the room was very clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We arrived at the hotel Deca after a journey to Seattle from Miami, only to find out that our reservation had not been forwarded to the hotel from the wholesaler we had used. In spite of this, the receptionist Tanya, provided the most outstanding service I have ever received in a hotel and was quick to not only fix my situation and accomodate what I had orignally booked, but was able to upgrade me, and took the time to answer all of my questions about the hotel, and the surrounding areas of the city. Every single employee I encountered was friendly, accomodating and genuninely happy to be working. The food in both the restaurant and the in room dining service was excellent, and a complimetary shuttle was provided several times during the day betweent the hotel and downtown Seattle-excellent value for an excellent experience. Billy the shuttle driver was awesome-happy friendly, and super punctual. he even took the time to check my room for something I had left behind, and called to reassure me it was there and safe. I will absolutley return to the Hotel Deca everytime I visit Seattle, and as a travel agent, advise all of my clients this is the only, and best place to stay!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Hello Carly V,
WOW!!!!! What an amazing review. Traveling can be difficult enough so when situations arise we pride ourselves on making things right. I guarantee you Tanya and Billy will be thrilled when they read your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize two of our outstanding employees. We look forward to your next trip.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Myself and my wife have stayed on many occasions over the past several years. The hotel rooms have always been clean and we feel that they are quite cozy and spacious for the rate. Customer service has always been very hospitable and accommodating. On one occasion, while dinning at their restaurant, our server had sent up a complimentary bottle of wine after we had commented to her how we had enjoyed it. More recently, one of the hotel's front desk staff, Colin, had offered a complimentary bottle of champagne to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the inconvenience caused as a result of a tv remote not functioning due to dead batteries. We found this gesture to be unexpected and completely unnecessary, although much appreciated nonetheless. These two examples are just some of our notable experiences at the hotel and it has been these types of experiences which will ensure another return.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MJI3

Dear MJI3,
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to recognize Colin. We have an amazing team at the hotel and anytime one of them is recognized it really does make them feel great. While we enjoy all of our guests, it is our return guests like you who help us spread the word about our hotel. I cannot thank you enough for your continued loyalty. If there is ever anything we can do to make your visits more comfortable please do not hesitate to let me know.