“Best option in the U District”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #63 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Best option in the U District”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We had a decent stay. The rooms have been remodeled extremely well, but in the end it's still an old hotel which no amount of lipstick can hide. That's both good and bad. Great deep tub in the bathroom, but no ventilation fan. The location is outstanding and the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Hello kerryjimjeffrey,

I really appreciate that you took to time to tell us about your recent trip to the hotel. Thank you for recognizing our amazing team. I know they truly enjoy when a guest recognizes their effort. It means a lot to all of us.

Hopefully we will see you again in the future.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Pismo Beach, California
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Arrived last Wednesday while traveling on business. Was given a nice room on the 3rd floor by the front desk agent. Asked for a high floor and was told I booked a cheaper rate and needed to book a higher category. Room was nice although small. No major issues. I returned back to my room after dinner and went to sleep around 11:30. Woken up at 3AM due to cluster of people going in and out of rooms on the 3rd floor where parties were occurring. Doors slamming, yelling in the hall, smell of pot being smoked nearby coming through to my room. 20 minutes after calling the front desk did the noise stop. Sounded like I was at a Frat house. Never fell back asleep and had meetings at work scheduled all day. In the morning at 9AM I asked the front desk to move my room and was told to pack my stuff and I would get a different room in the evening when I returned. I asked what type of rate concession would be made for the inconvenience and the loss of sleep and was told that they could do nothing since the manager was not in. I left my cell number and later got a call from the front desk agent who advised I would get a 20% discount for the inconvenience and would be moved to a higher floor. No call from the manager, no apology, just a 20% discount. I decided to check out of this frat house and I found a very restful night at another hotel for less money. It shows a lack of good management that the front desk agents were not empowered to solve the problem on the spot. I would not recommend this hotel to business travelers. I gave 2 stars instead of 1 because all of the staff at the front desk were very nice but unfortunately they were not allowed to ensure guest satisfaction and solve problems on their own.

1 Thank LocoTravelers
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Hello LocoTravelers,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review. Clearly we did not make a very good impression. I want to apologize for your experience and let you know that we are addressing the issues you mentioned in your review.

While I would hasten to call us a “frat house” as the closest hotel to the University of Washington we do attract incredibly influential educational groups that often have younger attendees. As you mentioned, when we find out that members of these groups are acting inappropriately and are disturbing other guests we react quickly to ensure the noise ends. It sounds like we did do that. Also, I agree the front desk agent should not have to ask the Manager to offer compensation if a guest is not happy. They are all empowered and should feel confident assisting unhappy guests. It may not have been explained to you but the reason the agent did not call you back is because the manager was next to her during your conversation and approved the compensation. I am sorry this was not explained better.

Thankfully I feel we do have an amazing front line and management team who truly do care about our guests. As you can see from many of the previous posts our team is routinely praised for our effort. We never enjoy learning that a guest left feeling we did not do all we could to make their visit enjoyable. I assure you we will address those issues and correct them immediately.

Thank you again for your review.

Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I dont normally review hotels but this time I feel like I must. We were shocked at the white stains all over the dark chaise lounge, Dont sit there!! Very noisy cleaning staff late at night and early in the morning. Keys didnt work on door so it was back down to the lobby for replacements. High priced, slow slow internet. Overall felt really ripped off. On the upside, Tully's on the ground floor was the opposite of Hotel Deca. They were great!!

Room Tip: Just dont stay here
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear TravelAlot145

I am so sorry your visit to the hotel did not come close to your expectations. As you can see by many of my previous responses, the title of a post says a lot about a guests visit. Clearly yours was disappointing. We never, never want a guest to feel like they were ripped off. We have very high standards and when a guest feels like we fell short of achieving this standard we always want to know about it. This is the only way we can become better at what we do.

If you are comfortable, I would love to have a conversation with you to see if there is a way I can make it up to you. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Thank you again and I am very sorry your stay was not enjoyable.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 May 2013

After getting delayed at work and not making it to the hotel till 1:30 in the morning-the gentleman at the front desk who checked me in was so helpful and understanding when I couldn't seem to articulate my reservation needs due to my lack of sleep.
This was the first stay for me and the rooms were comfortable and relaxing. I would definately stay at Hotel Decca again and again.

Hi Denyse B,

I am so glad our Front Desk team was so helpful. After a long flight with ridiculous delays a smiling face is wonderful. I am thrilled that he was able to help make a long day a little more enjoyable. We cannot wait to see you again.

West Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We attended Opening Day Regatta last weekend. This hotel was minutes away from the regatta site. The hotel is situated in a nice neighborhood. The hotel staff were polite and attentive. The rooms were spacious. Tully's coffee shop in the hotel lobby was great for a morning latte!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Hello Kim M,

Thank you for staying at the hotel during the opening day of boating season in Seattle. You could not have picked a better weekend so be in Seattle. The weather was amazing. I hope to see you again during your next trip to Seattle.

Worldwide
Reviewed 4 May 2013

The Hotel Deca in the University District of Seattle is an excellent option in Seattle. The staff could not have been nicer. The room was clean, large and had a great view of Downtown Seattle and the price offered good value. I liked the location, just 4 miles from Downtown, but with the added vibrancy of the nearby University of Washington campus. Lots of stores, restaurants, movies and entertainment within walking distance. The courtesy van came in handy. Easy on /off to I-5. Now if they could just do something about the traffic in Seattle.

Room Tip: good views on the high floors
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Hello AspenSpin,

First of all, you have the best trip advisor picture ever. Very cool!!! I am thrilled you had such a good time. Hopefully we can be part of your next Road Trip.

Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Hotel Deca is where you want to stay if you're in Seattle. They hold excellence in the highest regard from check-in to check-out. The rooms are spacious and incredibly nice and the staff will provide you with anything you need. Please stay here if you are ever in the Seattle area.

Room Tip: Ask about the different promotions they have and they'll make sure to accomodate you for the bes...
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Josiahpotter,

“Perfection”! That just about says it all. You don’t need some crazy response from the General Manager that will add nothing to the title of your post. Well maybe just a big huge THANK YOU!!!!

Hopefully we will see you soon.