“Good location in U District, room felt a bit spare”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryland, USA
“Good location in U District, room felt a bit spare”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I spent 4 days at the Hotel Deca while visiting UW on business. I had stayed here once before, and it seems to be the go-to place for UW visitors. I liked some things about the hotel, was disappointed by others. Basics first: the bed was very comfortable. Shower, towels etc. were perfectly serviceable, though not great. I was told upon check-in that I was upgraded to a room on a higher floor. I was in a corner room about half way up. But I found the 'upgraded' room to be a little pokey. Rather limited storage, and the armchair in the room wasn't so comfortable. Some things were done well, e.g., lots of extra outlets for charging devices etc.; it's surprising how many hotels fall short on that count. Oh, and the view from the window was quite good - on a clear morning, I woke to see Mt Rainier in clear view out of my window. Nice. Free wifi is reliable, but on the slow side. No in room fridge. The location of the hotel is convenient, right next to the bustling U District, with many eateries that are moderately priced but good. Just a couple of minutes walk to UW. I would stay here again on a visit to UW, but mostly because the options seem relatively limited.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on SE side have best views of Mt Rainier.
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear CPtraveller,

As a return guest to the hotel your feedback means a lot to us. Our goal is to create an amazing first impression that hopefully translates into a lifelong relationship with our guests. I am so glad you found so many of our amenities enjoyable. Oh and by the way, thank you for mentioning our amazing views. In my opinion they are the best in the city. Additionally, we are looking into why the wireless signal was not very reliable during your visit. Normally we have an extremely reliable network. Hopefully a quick reset will correct any issues.

Thank you again. We hope to see you during your next trip to Seattle.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Sierentz, France
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Its proximity to the Campus is the advantage of the DECA Hotel. Per such it is a rather old hotel without much charm. We have been first allocated to a rather noisy room situated directly above the air conditioning system (please avoid room in the corner ending with 9). Only after severall complaints we have been relocated into a different room. The dark lobby/lounge area is not really inviting. It might be a decent choice for the university district but if your destination is downtown seattle, better alternatives are existing.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending 9 (eg 209, 309,...)
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Hello Chris B,

I am so sorry your visit to the hotel did not meet your expectations. Clearly the first room did not create a very good impression so I am glad the second one better fit your needs. Our location to the UW does make us the ideal choice for guests either attending a conference on campus, an athletic event at one of the stadiums, or an amazing alumni event for the University. We offer fantastic amenities and some of the best views of any hotel in Seattle. I am positive during your next visit we will create the visit you were hoping for.

Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We wanted to stay somewhere other than downtown on our most recent trip to Seattle. We actually enjoyed the area, we walked around a little and enjoyed having free parking as well. The hotel rooms are small, however, big enough for our needs. The rooms are looking a little worn, there were water stains on our ceiling. My biggest complaint is the bottom sheet on the bed was not fitted & was not long enough to be tucked in properly, so multiple times both nights the mattress became exposed. My fiance & I both found this frustrating and it had an impact on our sleep. Probably would choose to stay somewhere else next time we go to Seattle.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sundaydriving
Hello Sundaydriving,

Thank you for letting me know about your recent stay. While “Decent Stay” is not bad, the next time you visit us I guarantee you the title of your post will be “Outstanding Stay”. I will look at address the issue with the fitted sheets. I agree that would be highly uncomfortable.
Thank you again.

Kelso, WA
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I had a recent business trip to the U district in Seattle. Hotels in the U district are a very mixed assortment of poor hotels and overpriced better hotels. I have stayed in several but had never stayed in the Deca. As another reviewer pointed out, the hotel is an older property but has been nicely remodeled. I only spent one night there and had two meals in the District Lounge. I had no major issues with the stay. The staff were extremely pleasant, the room was clean, quite and comfortable. It was very convenient to my business destination and the hotel provided a free shuttle. I had an issue with the alarm clock not working but the wake-up call was right on time (I had an iPad backup). No exhaust fan in the bathroom so the mirror fogged easily. The meals were good and fairly priced. The drinks were generous and also fairly priced.

No one is ever going to mistake it for the Edgewater or the Westin downtown but I will stay there again when I have business in the University District. I've paid more for poorer accommodations.

Dear lapid8r,

Thank you for your review. I am going to look at your review as the glass is half full and not the other way around. While we are not claiming to be a 5 star hotel we are a great little hotel near the UW. I hope the next time you will stay with us your experience will blow you away and the “glass half full” can be turned into a sweet full cup of happiness.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We had a decent stay. The rooms have been remodeled extremely well, but in the end it's still an old hotel which no amount of lipstick can hide. That's both good and bad. Great deep tub in the bathroom, but no ventilation fan. The location is outstanding and the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Hello kerryjimjeffrey,

I really appreciate that you took to time to tell us about your recent trip to the hotel. Thank you for recognizing our amazing team. I know they truly enjoy when a guest recognizes their effort. It means a lot to all of us.

Hopefully we will see you again in the future.

Pismo Beach, California
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Arrived last Wednesday while traveling on business. Was given a nice room on the 3rd floor by the front desk agent. Asked for a high floor and was told I booked a cheaper rate and needed to book a higher category. Room was nice although small. No major issues. I returned back to my room after dinner and went to sleep around 11:30. Woken up at 3AM due to cluster of people going in and out of rooms on the 3rd floor where parties were occurring. Doors slamming, yelling in the hall, smell of pot being smoked nearby coming through to my room. 20 minutes after calling the front desk did the noise stop. Sounded like I was at a Frat house. Never fell back asleep and had meetings at work scheduled all day. In the morning at 9AM I asked the front desk to move my room and was told to pack my stuff and I would get a different room in the evening when I returned. I asked what type of rate concession would be made for the inconvenience and the loss of sleep and was told that they could do nothing since the manager was not in. I left my cell number and later got a call from the front desk agent who advised I would get a 20% discount for the inconvenience and would be moved to a higher floor. No call from the manager, no apology, just a 20% discount. I decided to check out of this frat house and I found a very restful night at another hotel for less money. It shows a lack of good management that the front desk agents were not empowered to solve the problem on the spot. I would not recommend this hotel to business travelers. I gave 2 stars instead of 1 because all of the staff at the front desk were very nice but unfortunately they were not allowed to ensure guest satisfaction and solve problems on their own.

1 Thank LocoTravelers
Hello LocoTravelers,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review. Clearly we did not make a very good impression. I want to apologize for your experience and let you know that we are addressing the issues you mentioned in your review.

While I would hasten to call us a “frat house” as the closest hotel to the University of Washington we do attract incredibly influential educational groups that often have younger attendees. As you mentioned, when we find out that members of these groups are acting inappropriately and are disturbing other guests we react quickly to ensure the noise ends. It sounds like we did do that. Also, I agree the front desk agent should not have to ask the Manager to offer compensation if a guest is not happy. They are all empowered and should feel confident assisting unhappy guests. It may not have been explained to you but the reason the agent did not call you back is because the manager was next to her during your conversation and approved the compensation. I am sorry this was not explained better.

Thankfully I feel we do have an amazing front line and management team who truly do care about our guests. As you can see from many of the previous posts our team is routinely praised for our effort. We never enjoy learning that a guest left feeling we did not do all we could to make their visit enjoyable. I assure you we will address those issues and correct them immediately.

Thank you again for your review.

Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I dont normally review hotels but this time I feel like I must. We were shocked at the white stains all over the dark chaise lounge, Dont sit there!! Very noisy cleaning staff late at night and early in the morning. Keys didnt work on door so it was back down to the lobby for replacements. High priced, slow slow internet. Overall felt really ripped off. On the upside, Tully's on the ground floor was the opposite of Hotel Deca. They were great!!

Room Tip: Just dont stay here
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear TravelAlot145

I am so sorry your visit to the hotel did not come close to your expectations. As you can see by many of my previous responses, the title of a post says a lot about a guests visit. Clearly yours was disappointing. We never, never want a guest to feel like they were ripped off. We have very high standards and when a guest feels like we fell short of achieving this standard we always want to know about it. This is the only way we can become better at what we do.

If you are comfortable, I would love to have a conversation with you to see if there is a way I can make it up to you. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Thank you again and I am very sorry your stay was not enjoyable.