“Good hotel, small rooms, great for business travelers”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Good hotel, small rooms, great for business travelers”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I spent a night here last week and was quite pleased. Yes, the rooms were small but I have been in smaller rooms in Europe. It was quite enough for a single traveler. Parents traveling with children visiting UW nearby might find them too small.

The staff were friendly to a fault. I got in too late to need dinner but walking around the next day, I saw the variety of eating places the U district offers. The hotel is well maintained.

I will stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: if your business is mostly in the U district, you might want to consider not parking a car in the sm...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear anandfirouzeh,

Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased you had such a wonderful time and we were able to make such a wonderful impression. We cannot wait to see you again. Hopefully during that next trip we can earn that extra star.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed here for a week long trip and wouldn't do so again. I called here a few times before my actual trip and every time I was on hold for 10 minutes or more before being able to speak with someone.

We arrived early and were able to check in upon arrival, which was really nice. The room was really small though it had a great view. The outlets all around the room are in really inconvenient locations making it tough to charge anything (laptop or phone) while on the bed. The internet access is free, but extremely slow and you must renew your online access every day of your stay which I found to be tedious and not worth the effort since the connection was so slow. The air conditioning vent cover against one wall was also completely off and just leaning on the exposed vent when we arrived and it stayed that way for the entire trip despite staff coming in to clean.

If you are planning to travel all around Seattle the location has easy access points to public transportation and it wasn't hard to figure out. We were able to ride the bus to the Fremont area, downtown and to Lake Union. There were quite a few affordable restaurants nearby for quick eats- burgers, pizza, the usual.

One morning we ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast and it was not worth it at all. The food was basic and the atmosphere was awful. The "restaurant" is housed in the hotel's bar which during the day is extremely dead and is definitely looks like more of a bar than a restaurant. We ate there hoping to save some time, but if I had known the restaurant was just a few small tables in a bar I would have just walked somewhere else. The food was SUPER bland. Definitely don't go there for anything but a drink and probably not even a drink.

When I left, I accidentally left behind a notebook. This was obviously my fault and the staff was gracious enough to contact me about it. However, one person contacted me about it and when I wrote back to affirm I wanted the notebook sent back to me, I did not get a response and had to call to follow up. Turns out that person was off for the next two days and no one else knew about the notebook which to me is extremely inefficient and I had to give all my information for a second time. I also received no follow up that the notebook had been sent and had to call again to verify. Once it had been sent they let me know I would be charged for postage and postage ended up being WAY higher than it should have been. While I am appreciative that they sent me back my belongings, I'm bothered that they didn't ask me that my preference for shipping was or update me to let me know how much the charge would be for.

Overall, this was an average to below average experience at a hotel and I won't be going back or recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sarah T,

Let me start by saying how sorry I am that your experience did not match your expectations. Clearly there were a number of issues that occurred that played into your overall impression of the hotel. I assure you I will personally look into each issue and make sure where corrections need to be made, they are made. I never want a guest to leave feeling dissatisfied with their experience. Our goal is to create truly memorable experiences and it sincerely disappoints me when this does not happen.

While I completely understand your reluctance to stay with us again I do hope that you would try us one more time. I believe your next experience will be much better.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Deca on two occasions and both were great stays. On both occasions we were able to check in early upon arrival, which was extremely helpful. It's located in the University District, but the metro stop is 2 blocks away, cheap and very easy to use (theres an app for your smart phone as well). We were able to navigate the city quite easily. There was also a shuttle available on a first come, first serve basis. As for the rooms, the linens were clean and the bed was comfy. We didn’t mind that the rooms were small - we were in Seattle to enjoy the city not hang out in the rooms! The staff is knowledgeable and accommodating. Extra points for a Tully's coffee shop in the lobby! Would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Hello Margarete H,

Great hotel, location, price…not sure how to add to that. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip. We cannot wait to see you again.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We visited Seattle over the Memorial Day weekend and had a very nice time. The hotel was in the University District which took us out of the touristy area that has it's positives. Great coffee shop and breakfast up the street. Couple of blocks away from a supermarket made it easy to stock up on snacks...and wine! Getting to the main points of interest was easy by our rental car and the shuttle provided by the hotel. The only thing that was a bit disappointing is also a bit personal... it was part of a honeymoon trip and even though I shared that information with the front desk, they made no mention of it or did anything special, which was unfortunate. That said, I filled out my review (that is sent by hotel) and manager contacted me immediately and took the time to hear about our visit.

I would recommend this place...

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi veebeewhy,

First of all, very fun TripAdvisor name. I see a number of these and fun names always make me chuckle.

I am so sorry that we did not make an attempt to highlight your special occasion. We normally take great pride in doing everything we can to make a special trip as special as possible. It is such an honor that you chose to stay with us during your honeymoon so it disappoints me we did not go out of our way to make you night even more amazing. I am glad the manager reached out to you. I will make sure our staff understands the importance of recognizing special occasions and feel empowered to do what is necessary to make the event fantastic.

Thank you again. Hopefully we will see you on your first anniversary as well.

Thank you and CONGRATULATIONS!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I often find boutique hotels lack warm service, but not the case here, very eager to help, and all the staff very friendly, rooms very small but nearly all rooms are in Seattle boutiquey hotels.
Tully's coffee bar in hotel is wonderful to have, hotel breakfast a little limited but good value. Lobby very nice and comfy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Pheephox
Hello Pheephox,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to see that you enjoyed your visit. I am so pleased that you found the staff to be warm and helpful. We try very hard to make our guests feel at home. Traveling can be difficult so we want to you be comfortable and know that we truly cared that you chose to stay with us.

Please come back soon.

Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This hotel is unique in it's decor and the staff is tremendous! You must see their website to get the idea. http://www.hoteldeca.com/ It is in the University District of Seattle, which is a little downfall if you want to sight-see in the city. Unless you rent a car, you must take a city bus or arrange for a shuttle from the hotel to take you anywhere. The shuttle is not always available. The hotel itself is nice but old. The room I stayed in was okay but the bathroom was very small, not likely to pass AAA's standards. The bathtub must have been original to the hotel it was very deep and stained. Clean, but stained. The beds were very comfortable. The room was clean. There was a restaurant in the bottom floor (very good) and a coffee shop (Tully's) next to the lobby. there is a fitness room but no pool.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kak3et
Dear kak3et,

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to point out our tremendous staff. I truly believe that we have one of the best teams in all of Seattle. Our goal is to create amazing experiences so we are thrilled when we learn we have met or exceeded that goal. I will make sure the staff reads your review.

Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We were able to get a package from Orbitz that included car, flight & this hotel. Nice place in the University District. Boutique hotel, so not like a chain. Good service. Parking lot cost extra & spaces very small, but it's nice not to have to worry about parking. Lots to do walking around here is you are a walker. Trails and waterfront nearby. Nice Art Museum at the University. Lots of restaurants around. Coffee shop downstairs was convenient and friendly. Staff at hotel very hospitable, helpful & friendly as well. Exercise room downstairs...a bit larger than a closet, but 2 treadmills and a few other pieces if you need a quick workout. Good value for the $$$

Room Tip: Our room was on a lower floor & we sometimes walked the stairs. Their elevator requires use of y...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Lynn D,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We really appreciate the feedback. We are so thrilled that we will be seeing you again in the future. Hopefully it will be much sooner than later.