“Diamond in the rough”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Diamond in the rough”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I called the hotel directly and got connected to Paul, in reservations. He made the process painless, and answered every one of my questions before I asked them. He even set up my transportation to and from the airport. After a long late flight, I was greeted by a welcoming front desk team. The check-in process was quick and professional. In my profession, I am constantly travelling and am in and out of hotels. For the price, I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of service, not to mention the great room and view of the city. Next time I come to Seattle, Hotel Deca will by my number one choice of stay.

Room Tip: Get Paul in reservations!! Call the hotel directly, rather than booking through the internet sites...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Hello Leigh P,

A “Diamond in the Rough”…I love that. Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize Paul and the rest of our outstanding team. Our goal is to create truly memorable experiences for our guests. We are thrilled when we find out we met, or even in your case, exceeded this goal. It sounds like we might see you again in the future. Hopefully it will be sooner than later.

Thank you again.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
washington
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Arrived at 4 pm on a weeknight and was promptly checked in by a very nice clerk. Was very pleased to find we had been automatically upgraded to premium double queen suite. The room was large,loved the large window and chaise lounge in front of it. The decor of the room and the lobby were beautiful. In fact my daughter took a picture of the bathroom and said she was going to show it to her dad so he could make her bathroom look the same, but we are still waiting for that project to begin:) our room was on 7th floor near elevator and we were not bothered by any hall noise. The in room coffee was good. Tully's in lobby was great benefit. We ordered late night pizza delivery and it was no problem. We will definitely stay here again on next trip to Seattle. easy access to freeway. Free wifi was appreciated. There is a charge for parking but worth it. The beds were super comfy,and lots of pillows.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear sammyo09,

Well, sometimes the title of a post says it all. We are all thrilled you had such a wonderful visit. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again during your next trip to Seattle.

Best Wishes,

London, England
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Arrived about 10.00pm so wasn't expecting to be greeted by a host of receptionists and bunting but got a very bored, young girl who yawned through the check in process. No chance of a valet to unload the luggage - anyway it was late so just wanted my bed. Got to the room to find the bed sheets and towels all over the floor as it had not been serviced! Back to lobby - repeat the process above. Went to new room - 'non smoking' it said on the door, shame the previous occupant hadn't realised this! Tried to open the window but they had all been screwed down so had to rely on the noisy A/C to do its best.
To their credit the next day we got an apology and some money off but would rather have paid twice as much and had a better experience. There must be many better hotels than this in Seattle.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
Dear JeffBarnes,

Let me start by saying how terribly sorry we all are about your experience at the hotel. Clearly we failed to deliver the superior level of service and comfort our guests have come to expect from us. I assure you I have already spoken to the team and we have implemented procedures so this does not occur again.

Again, I am very sorry. If you do see yourself coming back to Seattle again please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would enjoy personally overseeing your reservation to ensure your visit is fantastic.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The hotel Deca is one of only a handful of hotels close to the University of Washington. I have stayed in all (except the College Inn as my wife refuses to stay in what she calls a youth hostel) and the Hotel Deca is a reasonable alternative given the price. It has the best location of all the hotels near the University district, on 45th and Brooklyn, close to the Ave, within walking distance to Washington's sports facilities (we were up for the Oregon v. Washington game) and about 6 blocks from the house where my son lives.

The Hotel is in a building built in the 30s and the owners have tried to keep the Art-Deco charm of that period. The down side is the rooms and bathrooms are small, but the spaces are charming and well appointed. There are some maintenance issues that should be addressed as the latest remodel of the hotel must be several years past. The elevators (you must use do to security restrictions on each floor) have tears in the fabric siding and the room keys used to access one's floor don't work well if at all (we had to replace our key several times). The reservations are another issue. We prepaid for our room which was good as an acquaintance who had reservations showed up Saturday and no rooms were available. Parking is $16 extra while parking at the University Inn, Watertown and Travellodge is free. That and no complimentary breakfast is something looking for lodging near the University should consider when comparing cost.

On the plus side, the room views from the higher floors are spectacular especially toward downtown or toward the the University. We were on an upper floor and our view was Northeast, not so great, but the feeling of openness was nice. The beds were triple sheet with down comforters, but the matters was a bit old making you roll to the center. The rooms were clean and well maintained. I tried the coffee maker in the room and the coffee it produced - awful. They would be better off giving everyone a certificate for free coffee at Tullys, which is in the lobby. The walk in closet was large enough to sleep in, but had no light. The light switch for the bathroom is outside the bathroom, much to the chagrin of my wife who entered, closed the door and found herself in darkness asking "where's the switch." There is only one small garbage can in the bath that we easily overfilled both the days we stayed.

Given the price, closeness and cleanliness I would stay here again. I still prefer staying in a hotel downtown. Those in the hospitality business near the University district know they have a captive audience with few alternatives and all seem to take advantage of this, much to the despair of those seeking lodging in the University district.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors with a city view, but you will pay extra.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Charlie V,

Thank you for such an extensive review of the hotel. I truly appreciated learning about your experience. I hope we are able to see you again during your next trip to Seattle.

Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Don't make a reservation here if you actually want to stay in the U District. Arrived to check in just to be told that expedia moved our hotel, which was a lie! Expedia told me that the hotel initiated the move, due to overbooking. The reason I chose this hotel is because it is across the street from a venue that my husband and I were seeing a show at for his birthday. Incompetence, incompetence, incompetence. Shame on them for ruining my husband's birthday present, and the rare and infrequent chance for us to get away from the kids for some alone time.

Sad that I didn't research this hotel more before booking, apparently this is a recurring theme with them.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Katherine J,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with the hotel. I cannot apologize enough that we were unable to accommodate you and your family during your special night out. I know you indicated that you have come to learn that this is a reoccurring theme for us but I cannot disagree more. This past weekend was a result of a number of unfortunate issues that caused us to oversell. I assure you we do not like to oversell and do not do it often. Our number one goal is to treat our guests to the highest level of comfort and care and I truly wish you had the chance to experience that.

I truly hope we can show you how good we can be. If you are ever coming to the Neptune again please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would personally love to oversee your reservation to ensure your visit is fantastic.

Silverton, Oregon
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Vanessa was over the top helpful with my stay. The location and atmosphere of this hotel is excellent. They are still working out some kinks and updates to an old building that has been gutted. The place has character and the staff especially Vanessa was extremely accommodating.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Gareth P

Thank you so much for recognizing Vanessa. You are 100% correct when you said she was over the top helpful. She really is a very special member of our team so I am always thrilled when she gets mentioned. I will make sure she sees your post.

Thank you again.

Inland Empire
Reviewed 10 October 2013

On the first day of our arrival (late check-in), we noticed a brown substance located under the toilet seat lid. We addressed the issue with the hotel management first thing that morning before heading out. We were assured the issue would be resolved. Upon our return to the hotel late that night, the housekeeping manager was gracious enough to leave an apologetic letter for the cleaning oversight and a bottle of wine; unfortunately, the dried feces was STILL under the toilet seat lid. The hotel's immediate resolution was to temporarily relocate us (they assisted with the relocation) to another room in the middle of the night until our original room could be cleaned properly. In addition, the hotel staff failed to ensure the door (Room 707, the door does not automatically close like the others ) was closed when the hotel staff moved our items back into our old room during our absence, which could have subjected us to theft or a possible sexual assault. If the housekeeping staff failed to notice an obvious dried brown substance under the toilet seat lid, can you imagine what other unsanitary conditions you and your family will experience during your stay? This hotel is very quaint and the decor is nice, but clearly poorly managed. The hotel's "line" staff was extremely professional; however, the management staff could use a few training courses. I was refunded the cost of parking and the romance package ordered, really??? Do yourself and your family a favor...either stay somewhere else or bring along your own sheets, pillowcases, shower shoes, and a BIG bottle of Lysol.

Room Tip: If you still opt to stay, ensure the door to room 707 closes upon your arrival and departure.
1 Thank goingtobarstow
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear goingtobarstow’s,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to Hotel Deca. I am so very sorry for your experience. I spoke to the entire team about your visit and we have made the necessary changes to ensure this does not ever happen again. Our goal is to treat our guests to the highest level of comfort and care and I am personally disappointed when we do not meet this expectations. I assure you changes have already been made based upon your comments.

Again, I am so very sorry.