“nice hotel near the University of Washington”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 January 2014

this is a classic hotel near the campus - the decorations are modern with a nod to Art Deco. Ask for a room away from the elevator door and away from the ice machine unless you like noise. The higher floor rooms have better views.

Room Tip: ask for a room not next to the ice machine or the elevator door
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hello Countess11,

Thank you for your review. We look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Deca

Reviewed 19 January 2014

This is the first hotel at any price level that I have seen with absolutely no storage furniture. That is a real inconvenience for an extended stay. The housekeeping was just plain terrible. Surfaces with visible dirt were left uncleaned and the carpeting was obviously not vacuumed. Every day found us left without some supply item such as coffee, toilet paper or clean cups. The noise of water draining from the bathtub in some other room was quite a surprise and a bit alarming until we realized what it was. After a day or two, we really didn't notice it. any more. These drawbacks were unfortunate because the room was otherwise comfortable, the staff very helpful and friendly and the location quite nice. In fact, on the basis of the staff alone, I'd probably consider this hotel for another stay but I'd plan on addressing the housekeeping issue up front when I arrived.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fredvsr

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to Hotel Deca. First let me thank you for recognizing our staff. We truly do have a wonderful team who care about creating exceptional experiences for our guests. I also wanted to let you know that I have already discussed your comments with our housekeeping team. I am confident your areas of concern have been addressed and will not occur again.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

I am in the middle of an 8 day stay at the Deca. There is some good stuff here and some areas of concern.

The good - the location, the friendly staff, the living space and the view of Rainier

The areas of concern - extremely thin walls. The first night we were woken at 5am by a crying baby and ringing phone. The next morning it was someone with a loud cough. Even as I type this at midnight, I can hear loud music blaring.

Two of the five days we've been here so far, housekeeping didn't come. One day the body was dispenser was empty, so it was disappointing when they didn't come.

On a Friday night at 11pm, the police rushed into the hotel for some disturbance. That was concerning to see ad we walked on.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear recently74,

Thank you for your review. I truly appreciate your comments about the hotel and especially the good part. Clearly there are a couple of areas we need to focus on and I assure you we will make corrections where needed. Hopefully we can put everything up into the “good” section during your next visit.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed over Thanksgiving weekend and we were very impressed with Deca. Loved the fact that is was not your run of the mill chain, but had some character. Location was good as we were visiting a friend a couple miles from there. Easy hotel to find and lots of interesting places to visit and eat in the area since it is close to campus. Would stay there again when visiting Seattle.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Rob U,

Now that is a title. “GREAT HOTEL”. I love it. I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful time.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Upon entering the Hotel you are in a contemporary lobby, greeted by well trained front desk staff. I was given a lovely room with a view of the space needle. There was a small refrigerator and microwave in the closet. As mentioned in previous reviews, the bathroom is extremely small, that is true. What was more the issue for me, was the shampoo, conditioner, and body wash bottles on the shower wall that barely worked. Body lotion was missing in the room, and when I travel by air and only have that little plastic bag, I count on the hotel to provide lotion. I was there for 3 nights and was cold all 3 nights. There was a light down comforter on the bed, but even with the heat on I was cold. I looked in the closet but for additional blankets, but nope. However, the pillows were fabulous!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann B

Hello Ann B,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you found the room lovely and enjoyed the view. A few years ago we went away from the small bottles to the wall mounted dispenser to remain consistent with our eco-friendly initiatives. The good news is that we do have a small supply of individual bottles incase our guests prefer to use those. This also includes lotion. Next time you visit please let us know that you would like to have lotion in your room and we will make sure it is in the room when you arrive.

Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed here because it was convenient to the Neptune Theater for a New Years Eve show. The rates are reasonable, the room was nicely furnished and clean. I requested a view of the Space Needle and they were able to accomodate me. The staff was very helpful in making excellent recommendations for both dinner and breakfast. i would stay here again without hesitation. My only criticism is that wireless acess was erratic. Connectivity was OK with my PC, but problematic with an iPad or Android tablet. They seemed to be experiencing difficulties with their authorization system. Since i was able to connect with my PC, I did not investigate the problem any further.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Hello JayTee338

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. I am so glad you had a wonderful experience. Hopefully we will see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Where do I start...
The bathroom was tiny (about 6x6), it had no fan or heat so it got stuffy, steamy, and it smelled musty. There was a vent opening but it piped in music and conversations from the next room. That was entertaining for a while but the neighbors taste in music wasn't to our liking. Also, it was the only hotel I've ever been to that didn't supply lotion. The shampoo, body gel, and conditioner were dispensed from mounted containers in the shower that kept sticking and wouldn't pump then the tops fell off.
The bedroom area was very spacious and the beds were great but don't count on actually sleeping in them! With the paper thin walls you will hear everything going on in the next room and in the hall. We were unfortunate enough to be there for New Years Eve and that was unbearable (not the hotel's fault though). The room was hot and stuffy so we had to sleep with the window open and the traffic noise was terrible.
Room service was a joke. There wasn't a menu in the room when we arrived and we wanted a snack. The front desk said they were working on updating it but that they'd send one up right away. After waiting a half hour we looked up the menu on line and ordered. Our food was delivered before the menu was. Another morning we ordered breakfast but when it didn't arrive after an hour I called to cancel because we were now late for an appointment. Paige told me that she didn't have our room number and didn't know where to deliver our food to. How does that happen?
Other annoying things: there were no coffee mugs just paper cups, the vent in the closet was connected to the next room where they were smoking pot so our room smelled like we were having a wild party.
We stayed for 3 nights and will never stay there again. The staff was nice enough and none of the issues were enough to cause me to make a complaint but it's just an old worn down hotel with horrible ventilation and no insulation between rooms.

Room Tip: I thought we had one of the best rooms in the place but it still wasn't worth the price.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank celinesebelius

Dear celinesebelius,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry that we did not even come close to meeting your expectations. Clearly we have a number of items to address and I assure you they will be addressed. We have set an extremely high expectation for ourselves and we are always highly disappointed when we do not meet these lofty goals.

Again, I am so sorry. We will address the areas you mentioned so that they will not occur again.