“saved by the location, sort of”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #63 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“saved by the location, sort of”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The two really good things about this hotel are that it is very close to the University of Washington campus, so if something on or near campus brings you to town, this is a good option, as far as location. The staff at the front desk was very nice too. And if you are on an upper floor, it will be a great view at some times of year (it is Seattle).

But, all the reviews that mention the room cleaning needing a little more attention are dead on. I stayed 4 days, and the same crumbs were on the floor on day 3 as day 1, though after mentioning it to the desk, my room did get vacuumed. There were also random stray hairs throughout the bathroom that definitely did not come from me.

Something that they really can't do anything about is the walls. They are very thin. As in, when the person next door turned on the news at 6 am, I was not only awakened, but I could hear and make out every word. Very thin walls.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Hello Drew Z,

Thank you for staying with us and telling us about your visit. I wanted to thank you for recognizing our front desk team. We have an outstanding team at the front desk so it is always nice when they are mentioned on Trip Advisor.

I also wanted to apologize about the housekeeping issues. I assure you they will be addressed with the team and changes will be made. Clearly we should have vacuumed your room during your daily service. I apologize that this was not completed.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
California
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I asked for a quite room. Was placed on the the 2nd floor in room 207...view was of all the hotels air conditioning units....ugly~!
Room no quieter than any other. Could still hear other rooms opening and closing their
doors, water being turned on by room above, etc.
You have to have a room key to get the elevator to go to your floor. Most of the time our
key did not work and we had to go to the front desk and change out our key~ Very frustrating.
Front Desk personnel was very nice.
Did advise them of the cleanliness problem in the bathroom. They said they would advise the
head house keeper?!
I only stayed there because it was cheaper than the Pineapple Hotel Chain....but no free breakfast or free coffee and tea. I guess you get what you pay for.
Pros were:
Close to campus, Campus Corner (The AVE), campus housing, Sororities and Fraternities. My child goes to school here, so I wanted to be close so we could all go out.

Room Tip: Do not pick room 207.....you will be looking out a window at the air conditioning units.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear PaulGCalifornia,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent trip to the hotel. I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have already spoken to the department managers about your experience and I am confident we will make changes to ensure future guests do not have the same experience you did. We pride ourselves on the comfort and care we treat our guests to and it disappoints us when a guest leaves unhappy.

I do recognize that you stay primarily at Pineapple Hotels however I would enjoy the opportunity to make this up to you. Please feel free to contact me personally so that I can personally oversee a future reservation for you.

Again, I am very sorry.

Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed at Hotel Deca on a Saturday night and attended a concerted across the street at the Neptune Theatre. What a great decision this turned out to be! The hotel is so nice; great staff, nice room, EXCELLENT bed. We had a very nice time and would return ... definitely!

Room Tip: Ask for a city view if that is important to you. It wasn't to us.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Elisa H,

WOW!!!! What an amazing review. We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write such an outstanding comment about your recent visit to the hotel. We cannot wait to see you again.

Kelowna
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I really want to give this hotel a favourable review, but I have to admit that I was disappointed by the time we left :( My son & I attended an event at the Neptune Theatre across the street and needed a handy place for a 2 night stay. It's location was fantastic for this and I was very excited by the look and impression that I had of the hotel from the website and my call to book the room. The front desk staff was great and very friendly during our entire visit. Our room had a fantastic view of the lake and the Space Needle.

First issue: My son is 16 and I had planned on eating at least two dinners and two lunches at the hotel restaurant that I had scoped out on the website. No go. Children are only allowed in the restaurant for breakfast. It wasn't mentioned on the website. I guess I should have known as it is called The District Lounge, but I figured it serviced the hotel so kids must be okay.

Second issue: The general state of the room was pretty good but there were a couple of little picky things. It is definitely an older hotel that has been refurbished so I expected things like the closet space to be limited, but there were still details that should have been looked after. The ceiling above the bathtub was peeling and starting to badly degrade. The bathroom door stuck badly and didn't close all the way. Housekeeping must have spilled water on one of the beds after it was made on our second day - the bed was nicely made with a huge wet waterspot on the side, luckily it was dry by evening. Four hangers only. I could hear the next door's business call through the bathroom loud & clear (happily, his business is up and his boss is happy with him).

Third issue & this was the big one for me: on our second morning we decided to sleep in. We had a very late night, didn't need to be in the lobby until 11 am for the complimentary shuttle downtown, and heck, we were on a mini-vaca, we wanted to lie in. We left the door card out that says Don't Disturb. At 9 am the housekeeper hammered on the door yelling "housekeeping" over and over again. And she continued. And she didn't stop. And she was loud. I finally managed to drag myself to the door after a minute or two (and I'm not exaggerating, this is how long it went on for) and yell over her "we're still asleep". Of course, I was wide awake after that. It wouldn't have mattered because she and a co-worker carried on to the next room, and talked loudly about funny stuff as there was a lot of loud laughter. I checked our door card, it was still there with the Do not Disturb showing. I guess they don't care if they know you're checking out that day.

Maybe the stuff that bugged me won't apply to you or bug you. As I said the front office staff was lovely. I let them know about issue #3 and they said they would pass on the word. A final note, our complimentary shuttle was late. That fact probably wouldn't have stuck with me, but being pissed off about the housekeeping magnified all my other little issues. When it did get there, the driver was fantastic and it was free (yes, of course I tipped), so in all not a huge point but nevertheless...when one thing makes you very mad it's really hard to feel favourable about all the other little picky points.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear tracesterj,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am so sorry that we were not able to create the experience you were expecting. Clearly there are opportunities for us to improve in a few areas and I assure you we will do what is necessary to make these changes. The entire team prides themselves on creating truly exceptional experiences. We do not like to read comments like yours and take it very personally when we do not live up to the goals we have set for ourselves.

Hopefully you will stay with us again and see that we remain committed to created truly outstanding experiences for our guests.

Thank you again. We hope to see you again.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This hotel meets your basic needs and the service exceeded my expectations. The bedding is very comfortable and I'm picky when it comes to pillows but they were excellent! I would definitely stay here again because it was overall very nice and the walls are thick!

Room Tip: You get a view of Mt Rainier if you're on the SW corner, anywhere above the 4th floor
Dear tutuye,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you found the pillows and bedding to be so comfortable. We understand that it can be very hard to sleep in a different bed so we tried to make the experience as comfortable as possible. It sounds like we achieved that goal during your visit.

Thank you again.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I've stayed at the Hotel Decca several times over a number of years, but I've never taken the time to write a review. I'm doing it now because my last stay was particularly wonderful. The location made it easy getting around to the multitude of places I had to visit in Seattle. The room was exceptionally comfortable and the restaurant and coffee shop in the hotel (plus all the restaurants and stores available within walking distance) makes it a place I will continue to stay when I'm in Seattle. The incredible staff provided spectacularly efficient service which was so far above the norm it exceeded my expectations. I know I'm being a bit effusive. I've spent most of the last 3 months in hotels all over North America (U.S. and Canada). The Hotel Decca stood out. It is special ...

Hello Alvin S,

I am thrilled to see that we continue to create truly amazing experiences for you over the years. Being called a “special” hotel is an incredible compliment. One we will continue to live up to. Hopefully we will get the chance to see you again in the very near future.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was our third stay at this hotel. On arrival, we were upgraded to a corner room by the friendly staff at the front desk. Great view of the University area from our window.

The hotel has been renovated in an Art Deco style, probably the reason for the name. Pretty good sound insulation: even though we were adjacent to the ice machine, didn't hear much noise except when someone filled their Bottomless Cooler in the morning.

Adjacent area caters to students, a bit down-at-the-heel but very interesting. There's a pub 5-6 blocks south on University with really good IPA.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doug S
Hello Doug S,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to the hotel. I am so glad we were able to upgrade you to a room with a great view. Although we may not be right in the heart of downtown Seattle we have some of the best views of any hotel in Seattle. Not many hotels can boast that their rooms overlook Mt Rainier, the Cascade and Olympic Mountains, and Lake Washington.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.