“Great value”

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here due to it's location to the auto dealership we were doing business with. The rooms were at least $70 cheaper than downtown or waterfront and it was a quick cabride to get to the downtown area. We definitely saved money and still enjoyed all the great things Seattle has to offer. Very clean and nicely decorated in stylish art deco. With a great !!!free!!! parking lot(some hotel were charging $20-40 a day for parking) and a coffee shop in the lobby, we had everything we needed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hello Rachel E from Great Falls Montana,

I was so pleased to read your review and find out you had such an enjoyable visit. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the parking package we had available. Parking can be expensive so we try to create packages that not only treat our guests to amazing experiences but also create an inclusive opportunity. We change our packages frequently depending on the season so I encourage guests to continue to glance at our website. Not only is there a ton of great information but also the latest and greatest offers.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next trip to Hotel Deca.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have stayed at the hotel two times now and we love it! The service is so great from top to bottom. We are always greeted with a smile when we check in and their shuttle service is great. Since it is not a downtown hotel it is so convenient that they will shuttle you downtown for free! It is not always available but it really is a luxury. Jimmy was out shuttle driver multiple times and he was extremely helpful. He could be a tour guide!! We didn't love the restaurant but there were a number of good options within walking distance. We'll definitely stay again!!

Room Tip: Ask for an 06 room. Great views from there!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Margarett S,

Thank you for such a glowing review and for mentioning the outstanding service Jimmy provided during your stay. I agree, he would make an incredible tour guide. He truly is an amazing part of our front desk team. It sounds like we may have made a friend for life so please come back and visit us at anytime. We cannot wait to see you again.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I always stay here because it's really well located wth lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. They have a local free shuttle and upon request you can get a fridge and a microwave. Very clean, very comfy.

Room Tip: I didn't know they had a pool and a spa-
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lea H
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Hello Lea H,

Now that is a great title. We love that you continue to have such amazing experiences at the hotel. We hope to continue to treat you to outstanding getaways for many years to come.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had booked a two night stay at Hotel Deca. We checked in very late on the first night, 1:00AM. We slept and then had a business meeting the next morning. When we returned, we found that our hotel key didn't work. We were told that we would have to pay an additional $200 for the room,as they claimed we had been smoking in the room. We don't smoke! I tried to tell the front desk staff this,they said I was lying and that I would have to pay for the room anyway. It was so frustrating! We did not stay as I felt very strongly that we should not pay an extra $200 because their housekeeper made a mistake, and they wouldn't give us the key to the room. We were charged anyway, and the front desk person said that we were lying. I've never been called a liar by a person that wanted my business before. What a terrible experience, and I would say to anyone to stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Carolyn B
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Carolyn B,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. I am so sorry that you feel like we lied to you. Clearly each of us has our version of the story and after reading yours I thought I would share ours because I cannot disagree with your comments more. As a nonsmoking hotel we take smoking in our guest rooms very seriously. I do not think it is fair to our nonsmoking guests who chose to stay with us because of our nonsmoking policy that they must endure the smell of smoke during their visit.

Just to be clear, we do not arbitrarily ask guests to speak to us about smoking fees if we do not have undisputable evidence that it occurred. After our housekeeping team entered the room you reserved we immediately smelled the odor of cigarette smoke, found the cigarette in the room, and took pictures of the cigarette to ensure that we had documented evidence that the cigarette was in the room.

Additionally, the person who was staying in the room admitted to the front desk team that they did smoke in the room but would prefer not to pay the $200 fine. We recognize mistakes happen so we adjusted the fee to $100 and he agreed to it.

I know the team members at the hotel tried to explain this to you on multiple occasions. I am so sorry that you are upset that we are simply thinking about all of our guests who stay with us. As I mentioned before, we take this very seriously.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The room was nice and large and the beds were comfortable. The bathrooms were clean and the Tully's coffee downstairs was convenient. My husband, my 4 year old son and I only stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and when we checked in at reception, i had a feeling there was going to be party going on. It turned out there was a concert hall across the street and all these hippie dressed guests of all ages had come to attend and have a party afterwards. We were lucky the floor we stayed at was higher than the party floor but we could still hear some guests going in and out and banging doors, leaving their doors slightly open and balloons from the party floor coming up. When I asked the hotel reception about it, they said it was not organized by them, and there would be a curfew of the party. At the end, it turned out to be ok and not as noisy as we had feared.

Room Tip: A few floors above from any party action going on would be good.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Hello miffymiff,

First, I really like your TripAdvisor name. I see a number of them and I always get a chuckle over how creative our guests are.

I also wanted to apologize that you felt the hotel may have turned into a party hotel. As a boutique hotel we want out guest’s to feel as if they have been treated to the ultimate level of comfort and care. While we are directly across from one the premier concert venues in Seattle we try very hard to stop any noise from our guests who attend events there. We recognize that after a fantastic concert people often enjoy extending the liveliness a little longer and when we see that occurring we stop it immediately. Hopefully by being as proactive as we can we can limit the party floors that you mentioned.

We would love to have you as our guest again in the future. I am confident we will create that experience you were hoping for.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I traveled with my husband for our Anniversary, but also during the Adobe workshop so he could attend for work. I guess we were on the party floor, no problems the first 3 nights, but 3 nights after we had ridiculously loud partiers in the room directly next to us. Hotel "security" didn't do anything to help even with several complaints from us and other guests on our floor. Next morning we decided we would ask to see when our neighbors were checking out, thinking we would ask to be moved away from them, but they said the people had checked out that morning....well, no they didn't, same people, same partying noise that night. I really thought the loud neighbors might know someone who worked at the hotel or something like that because the whole situation was really bizarre. It was never taken care of. In fact, we heard some guy throwing up every morning at the same time through the vent or walls in the bathroom. You can hear everything through the walls. Room service was extremely slow one day, I had to ask twice to get things cleaned and freshened up. I didn't find the decor charming at all. I thought the hotel itself was old and outdated. I just wasn't impressed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear imahulahottie,

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that you are not a fan. I never want to learn that. While we enjoy learning when we have exceeded a guest’s expectation I also believe it is equally important to learn when we have fallen short. We want to treat our guests to the highest level of comfort and care and when we do not meet this goal we need to know so we can act appropriately to ensure it does not occur again.

I wanted to let you know that I will be following up with the team about your comments. Clearly we did not handle this situation well and we need to revisit how we address loud and disruptive guests. I also wanted to let you know that over the next six months we will be making a number of changes to the hotel which will give us a fresh new look. I hope you get a chance to come back to see if we have changed your opinion about our décor. I for one am very excited about what will be occurring.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is the perfect location for any kind of visit to the University of Washington main campus. You can easily walk to much of campus, or the hotel will provide a free shuttle up to 4 miles away. It's just one block from the infamous University Ave, known simply as "the Ave." And if traffic allows, you're only a 10 to 15 minute drive to downtown Seattle. Our room was spotlessly clean, the cleaning service was excellent, and the front desk staff friendly and helpful. We stayed in a corner king room, and my wife especially liked lolling in the chaise by the large picture windows. We stayed both Friday and Saturday nights, and never heard any noise. Yes, we'll come back here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MacinMac

Dear MacinMac,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am thrilled that you had such an enjoyable visit. The entire team loves to read reviews like yours because it continues to keep our juices flowing. We cannot wait to see you again.