“Dissatisfied with service and value”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Front desk staff (and phone staff) were not helpful, friendly or personable. I have never been given so many one word answers before- most being 'No's'. Rooms were clean, and great views. However I won't be back until I hear of staff going through re-training. When I voiced my concerns at check out time, they were not qualified...No apology- I was ignored.
I will always take personality of staff over beauty of rooms every time! Failing grades on value and staff and that means I am very dissatisfied overall.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Kona123456
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Kona123456,

I am so very sorry that the service did not come close to meeting your expectations? I assure you we strive to treat our guests to the highest level of sincere service and care. We celebrate when we achieve this lofty goal and look hard at what went wrong when we learn we have fallen short. We will look at what occurred and make the necessary changes to ensure it does not occur again. Hopefully you will try us again in the future. I would love to hear your feedback to see how we have improved.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Deca

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The rooms are dingy, old & outdated. They said they just remodeled the rooms, but completely substandard. We stayed in the room for less then 3 minutes and left. Attempted to get a refund but were told from the on duty manager that we should have looked at the room first... We were denied our refund and still left. I'll dispute it with the credit card company. Don't stay here! The Bates Motel would be a better option, matter of fact your car would be nicer then this place.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Walls1976
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Walls1976,

I know we have already communicated in person about your experience but I wanted to reiterate how sorry I am that you did not enjoy the initial impression of the hotel. As we mentioned already, the hotel’s Front Office Manager did credit your account the full amount that was charged to you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further question.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Do you like listening to your neighbors talking, coughing, showering, and going to the bathroom? Do you love the sound of loudly running water through the walls at all hours? Then this is the place for you! Maybe you like always feeling like you're in the shower with a stranger...Personally, I barely slept in this place even with ear plugs. If you have a hotel that is "in the round" where the rooms are in a smaller, taller building, then these issues need to be addressed. But at the moment, it feels like everyone is on top of each other.

Parking is weird and awkward. When you first arrive, you don't really know what to do because there is no one at the "Main Entrance." So you eventually park yourself or use a 15 minute spot, if you're ambitious, then go to check in. Then you have to head back out with a pass to put in your car. Not a deal buster, but annoying, mostly because you don't really know what to do when you arrive. Oh, and hopefully you don't stay out too late...Because the lot fills up at night. I had to park on a secondary lot and wasn't really sure if that was even allowed. PLUS, the spots are so tight, I once considered using my sunroof just to get out of the car. So I recommend this place if you rent a convertible. Oh, and dream on if you expect a bell hop to greet you...I didn't see one the whole trip.

This was the cheapest option in the area and I guess you get what you pay for. Although with the new construction, I saw several new spots. I would spend a little more and try them out over the Deca, especially given the sleep I now have to catch up on.

Room Tip: Nicest view from suite on the Southwest side of building. Too bad there is tons of construction and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank modernboston
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear modernboston,

Thank you for your review. I am so very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. As you can see from so many reviews before yours, we are not accustomed to receiving such poor reviews. With that said, I take all reviews to heart and as an opportunity to learn from a guests perspective on the areas we excel in and the areas we may need to focus on. I assure you I will take your comments seriously and make adjustments in that areas we can.

Unfortunately one of the areas I will not be able to correct is the lack of bell service. One of the reasons you did not see a bell attendant is because we do not offer that service at the hotel. We do have an outstanding Front Desk staff available if you need help with luggage or concierge related services or questions. Aside from this, I do believe there are opportunities to be more proactive when the parking lot becomes full. I do agree that this can be extremely confusing for our guests.

Thank you again. I do hope you will try us again during your next trip to Seattle. Hopefully you will see the changes we made and we can turn your 2-star review into a 5-star review.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Great location, and value for the location. Rooms were huge and comfortable, but starting to show their age a bit. Front desk staff were very helpful, and we enjoyed the District Lounge too, and wish we had tried it out earlier in our stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello raingirl5356,

I really appreciate that you took a few moments out of your day to write your review. From the sounds of it you seemed to have really enjoyed your visit to the hotel. I will make sure the front desk team reads your review. I can tell you first hand that they love to read positive reviews from our guests. Especially when they are mentioned.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel is old but unique. Has lots of character. Restaurant/bar "The District" is a real asset. Food and atmosphere are great. Hotel location is convenient with restaurants/shopping within walking distance . This hotel is GREAT value for the $ in the Seattle area.

• Stayed: April 2014

Hello JEM245,

What a wonderful review. Thank you so much for your kind words. We strive to create truly exceptional experiences for our guests so it brings us great joy when we learn we have exceeded a guest’s expectation.

Hopefully we will see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have just returned after a two day stay at the Deca. What a great location and a home from home for two weary travellers. We really enjoyed the atmosphere in the U District and found some great places to eat. Our room was up on the 12th floor and we enjoyed spectacular views of Downtown. The staff at reception were very helpful and having a shuttle service into the city centre made this the perfect stay, away from the bustle but easy access to what we wanted. We will be recommending this place to our travel agent in New Zealand

Room Tip: Go high. The views are brilliant
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

HelenandTony2014,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit. It would have been a very long trip to not experience the very best Seattle has to offer. Plus, if it was your first trip to Seattle the views gave you a great perspective on why we love Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. Not many hotels in Seattle offer sweeping views of both mountain ranges, Mount Rainer, downtown Seattle, Lake Union, and Lake Washington. Hopefully based on your recommendation we will begin to see a number of guests from New Zealand stay with us. Thank you for being our voice so far away from Seattle.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The pictures on the web site were exactly what we had in our room! I often find that the pictures of hotels "aren't quite" what you end up with, not at Hotel Deca. Lots of space, comfy beds and a walk in closet. Extra perk - they have custom made shampoo, body wash and conditioner in the bathroom!
The front desk was great, they were polite, friendly and answered our every question. This building is all key coded and secure. We had business at the University and it was all within walking distance. There is shopping, great food and many amenities all within walking distance. With everything so accessible we didn't even miss the lack of a pool. There is also a great fireplace in the sitting area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear girlillasmom,

Now that is a fantastic title to a TripAdvisor post. We are all thrilled you had an amazing visit. I know the front desk loved the shout out. We truly do have an outstanding team at the desk who takes great pride delivery outstanding service to our guests.

Hopefully we will see you again in the very near future.

Best Wishes,