“Close to the zoo and away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Seattle” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #59 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, BC
“Close to the zoo and away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Seattle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

On our drive from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA, we did the typical outlet shop and had dinner at the Olive Garden, and arrived at the Hotel Deca around 9pm. Check in was quick, and the check in clerk was polite but seemed to be preoccupied. The following night, she remembered our room number and was really helpful. The staff was generally highly responsive and helpful. Maybe because the hotel isn't in downtown Seattle, we never had any huge waits at the front desk (good thing!). Our three year old had her own ladybug luggage but was happy to ride on the valet carts (there were 2-3 of these carts and my partner bright our luggage from the car and back out to the car at check out). We didn't notice any staff assisting with luggage, but we were happy to bring in and take out our own luggage. The room was nicely furnished and fairly clean. The chaise had a stain on it and I wasn't convinced that the bathroom had been super well cleaned (found hair on the ceiling when I looked up). It was quiet and the curtains kept the morning light out so we had a great sleep. The following morning, we visited the Seattle zoo (they actually have a shuttle van because its sooooooo close but we opted to take our own car because we could keep extra things in the car as it was drizzling (we are used to the rain (from Vancouver)) so had an extra pair of wellies for our 3 year old)). Here is where personal politics and parenting need to have a conversation ... Animals in captivity (small confined spaces and unnatural conditions, etc are an issue) but we appreciate there is a level of conservation in this process and an opportunity for children to see animals they would not normally see. But been at 3, we were having conversations about why they were fenced in, so we hope to continue taking this through as a family. But as far as zoos go, it was super kid friendly. And there were a lot of animals and been a children's in for play area (perfect during the downpour!). But we were disappointed to find that none of the gift shops were open and the concession stands were pretty limited. We had packed fruit and snacks so we were quite happy with our picnic snacks. We returned to he hotel for hot chocolate, tea, coffee and bagels with cream cheese for a late lunch. For dinner, we headed to the Cheesecake factory and they were super kid friendly. I know that the Olive Garden and the Cheesecake Factory aren't the most adventurous options nor does our choice support those amazing independent restaurants but my partner prefers 'tried-tested-and true' and they had good kid friendly meals. After another night at the hotel Deca, we headed to the ferry for a bit more quiet relaxation! Check out was a breeze and they were really great with providing directions! A big bonus was that this hotel was in walking distance to trader joe's so snacks were easy to obtain. I think the hotel is a wonderful boutique hotel in the making. We are definitely planning to stay here again,and have recommended it to other family members.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PinkGypsy
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear PinkGypsy,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the hotel. I am so pleased that so many aspects of your visit were enjoyable. Hopefully we will see you again in the very near future.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Overall this is a decent hotel and very convenient to the UW and U District. Hotel is nice and higher rooms have good views. Rooms are spacious, bathrooms small but adequate. Closet has no door, just a curtain. Bath amenities are in pump dispensors in the shower and ours didn't function well. Bed very comfortable. You can hear conversations from corridor, but we heard little from other rooms during our 1 night stay. Parking is $19 and the hotel guest lot is full at night so it is hard to find a spot. Tully's in lobby not the best for tea or pastries. Starbucks nearby is better. Key card needed in elevator is tricky to use - repeated tries often necessary. We had prepaid for a sky-view room, floor 7 and up, but were originally given a room on the 5th floor with no explanation by receptionist. When I asked, she said it was a "suite" and actually an upgrade. I told them I wanted the original reservation and after waiting about 10 minutes to check with housekeeping, she gave me a choice of 7th floor or waiting for the 8th floor. A minute later she told us the 8th floor was available and we checked into that room. We were checking in at 4:30 pm. Staff was courteous but not friendly. I would stay here again only if my other choices were booked. Expensive for what you get, especailly with added parking.

Room Tip: "Sky View" rooms, Floors 7 - 16 best to minimize road noise. Corner rooms better.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear BJW789,

Thank you for taking the time to write you review. I would love to become your first and only choice when visiting Seattle. We are in the process of making a number of changes and upgrades to the hotel so I am confident we will change your opinion during your next visit to the hotel. I would love that challenge.

Thank you again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

The hotel is an older building built about 30 years ago....has been renovated, but still needs some work...threadbare in places, but clean, pretty, elegantly furnished and appointed with modern looks. Nice bathrooms but the is a "bulk" shampoo/soap was pain to use. Comfy bed. Room size is adequate. Small TV (with and HD picture!), but that's OK..I didn't stay there to watch TV. The wireless is free but Oh. So. Slow! (1mbs) and a bit dysfunctional (you can upgrade to 5 mbs for ~$10/day). Seems so odd to have slow/dysfunctional WIFI with Microsoft just 5 miles away!!! Guest Service Directory and room service menu was missing from room. They claim to be a boutique hotel...but just barley make the grade. Lots of restaurants all a stones throw in the University District. Many, many public transit options all converge in the area. Front desk staff were perfunctory and not really too interested in helping. They were friendly, though. Overall I enjoyed my stay and likely would go back if the price was lower.

Room Tip: Ask for a upper floor corner room with a view of downtown Seattle and/or Mt Rainer....these rooms wi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hello Philip F,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you would return in the future. When you come back many changes may have occurred that address some of your concern. Last year we refreshed many aspects of our guest room however as you pointed out there are still a few things left to change. Over the next few months we will be replacing all of the guest room sofas and chairs, replacing the carpet and wallpaper to our hallways on our guest room floors, and renovating our lobby. I think these changes will be fantastic and will create a wonderful experience for our guest.

I look forward to your return.

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Pros: Front desk staff checking me in was great and was able to check in early as they had rooms available. The photos on the website of the lobby and rooms are an accurate depiction (at least what they show in the photos). Very close and convenient to UW.

Cons: Bathroom was small and there is a "bulk" shampoo/soap dispenser in the shower instead of individual amenities -- I expect this in a YMCA, not a boutique hotel (I get being environmentally friendly but this is a bit much). Sound travels in the hotel from outside, adjacent rooms, hallways, rooms above you and slamming neighboring doors. If you are a light sleeper, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. Even without connecting rooms, the sound really traveled and you could tell when the next room was using their shower, flushed their toilet, had their TV on, were having a discussion, etc. There were stains on the carpet, on the ceiling, and walls. Maid service was a bit shoddy. When checking in, there were several long strands of hair in the bathroom, on the aforementioned shampoo dispenser, and in the sink. Coffee was not replenished from the prior guest. Dust was visible on the armoire and along all of the lower wall/floor moldings in the room. Guest Service Directory and room service menu was missing from room. On the second day, the trash was not emptied from the rubbish can. Had a discounted corporate rate so my room (2nd lowest category) was about $170/nt (don't get me wrong, I know I get what I pay for - low floor, no view, close to street) but I would NOT pay $200+/night (which is the normal prevailing rate) for the rooms here. They claim to be a boutique hotel, but it's really nothing more than a slight notch above the Best Western this place used to be in it's prior life.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello FlybyDay415,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that the Front Desk staff exceeded you expectation. We have a wonderful team so it is always fantastic when they get mentioned.

I am also very sorry about the other issues that occurred during your visit. Clearly there are things we need to review with our housekeeping team. Our housekeeping team is just one of the many strengths we have at the hotel so I am confident a quick conversation will do just the trick.

Again, thank you for your review. Hopefully we will see you again in the very near future.

Victoria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Front desk staff (and phone staff) were not helpful, friendly or personable. I have never been given so many one word answers before- most being 'No's'. Rooms were clean, and great views. However I won't be back until I hear of staff going through re-training. When I voiced my concerns at check out time, they were not qualified...No apology- I was ignored.
I will always take personality of staff over beauty of rooms every time! Failing grades on value and staff and that means I am very dissatisfied overall.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Kona123456
Dear Kona123456,

I am so very sorry that the service did not come close to meeting your expectations? I assure you we strive to treat our guests to the highest level of sincere service and care. We celebrate when we achieve this lofty goal and look hard at what went wrong when we learn we have fallen short. We will look at what occurred and make the necessary changes to ensure it does not occur again. Hopefully you will try us again in the future. I would love to hear your feedback to see how we have improved.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

The rooms are dingy, old & outdated. They said they just remodeled the rooms, but completely substandard. We stayed in the room for less then 3 minutes and left. Attempted to get a refund but were told from the on duty manager that we should have looked at the room first... We were denied our refund and still left. I'll dispute it with the credit card company. Don't stay here! The Bates Motel would be a better option, matter of fact your car would be nicer then this place.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Walls1976
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Walls1976,

I know we have already communicated in person about your experience but I wanted to reiterate how sorry I am that you did not enjoy the initial impression of the hotel. As we mentioned already, the hotel’s Front Office Manager did credit your account the full amount that was charged to you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further question.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Do you like listening to your neighbors talking, coughing, showering, and going to the bathroom? Do you love the sound of loudly running water through the walls at all hours? Then this is the place for you! Maybe you like always feeling like you're in the shower with a stranger...Personally, I barely slept in this place even with ear plugs. If you have a hotel that is "in the round" where the rooms are in a smaller, taller building, then these issues need to be addressed. But at the moment, it feels like everyone is on top of each other.

Parking is weird and awkward. When you first arrive, you don't really know what to do because there is no one at the "Main Entrance." So you eventually park yourself or use a 15 minute spot, if you're ambitious, then go to check in. Then you have to head back out with a pass to put in your car. Not a deal buster, but annoying, mostly because you don't really know what to do when you arrive. Oh, and hopefully you don't stay out too late...Because the lot fills up at night. I had to park on a secondary lot and wasn't really sure if that was even allowed. PLUS, the spots are so tight, I once considered using my sunroof just to get out of the car. So I recommend this place if you rent a convertible. Oh, and dream on if you expect a bell hop to greet you...I didn't see one the whole trip.

This was the cheapest option in the area and I guess you get what you pay for. Although with the new construction, I saw several new spots. I would spend a little more and try them out over the Deca, especially given the sleep I now have to catch up on.

Room Tip: Nicest view from suite on the Southwest side of building. Too bad there is tons of construction and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank modernboston
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear modernboston,

Thank you for your review. I am so very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. As you can see from so many reviews before yours, we are not accustomed to receiving such poor reviews. With that said, I take all reviews to heart and as an opportunity to learn from a guests perspective on the areas we excel in and the areas we may need to focus on. I assure you I will take your comments seriously and make adjustments in that areas we can.

Unfortunately one of the areas I will not be able to correct is the lack of bell service. One of the reasons you did not see a bell attendant is because we do not offer that service at the hotel. We do have an outstanding Front Desk staff available if you need help with luggage or concierge related services or questions. Aside from this, I do believe there are opportunities to be more proactive when the parking lot becomes full. I do agree that this can be extremely confusing for our guests.

Thank you again. I do hope you will try us again during your next trip to Seattle. Hopefully you will see the changes we made and we can turn your 2-star review into a 5-star review.