“Paying First Class Rates for a Third Rate Hotel”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #62 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Silicon Valley, California
“Paying First Class Rates for a Third Rate Hotel”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the Deca over the University of Washington graduation weekend (June 13-14) so I could attend my Masters degree graduation.

I had previously stayed at the Watertown Hotel (which is near the Deca) and liked it. However, I could not get a reservation for graduation weekend, although I made the reservation several months in advance. I was able to get a reservation at the Deca, which had much higher rates than the Watertown. Given the rates, I thought that the Deca was a first class hotel.

What I didn't know is that the Deca jacks their rates up for this weekend. Although they charge first class rates, the Deca is a second class hotel, not nearly as nice as the Watertown.

The Deca is an old hotel, and it shows. The walls are thin and the room was worn. There was a rip in the curtains and the whole feel of the hotel was old and tired. The bathroom is tiny with a toilette that barely fits between the wall and the sink.

I suppose that the Deca might respond that they are charging what the market will bear. I could have stayed at a hotel farther from the University. This is true, but that doesn't make playing over $800 for two nights pleasant. Being gouged means that I would not return to the Deca again. If I need to visit the University again, I'll stay at the Watertown (which has a nice shuttle to the University).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OrsoVecchio
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hello OrsoVecchio,

I am very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your visit to the hotel. I assure you that we do not want any guest to feel like the rate they have been charged does not meet their expectations. Whatever the rate may be, we want our guests to feel that we truly care that they chose to stay with us. We believe we have a wonderful hotel, amazing staff, and comfortable rooms. It really does disappoint us when we find that a guest did not feel this effort from the team.

Please know that your business is very important to us. If you do find yourself coming to Seattle again in the future I would enjoy personally overseeing your reservation. Hopefully I can create the experience you were hoping for during this past visit.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Bonaire
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Let me start by saying that I'm not a particularly fussy traveler. I usually write glowing reviews on tripadvisor. However, the Deca Hotel was notable in that everything was not good for us. To begin, we paid over $800 for two nights at the hotel. This was graduation weekend for the University of Seattle, so they must have really raised the prices, since I see others commenting on the "good value." I can't imagine they paid $450 a night. We figured a hotel that cost that much was going to be wonderful. However, the room and the service was bad. The room was small and had many flaws. In addition to big rips and holes in the sheer draperies and paint stains on the curtains there were stains on the wallpaper, and ripped wallpaper in the bathroom. OK, we figured, just cosmetic. We can live with that. Then we tried to sleep. The other reviewers are right - we heard conversations in not only the room next to us, but across the hall from us! We could hear other people using the toilets and showers as though we were staying in their room. It was very hard to sleep. Using the elevators was another challenge - you need to insert your room card into the elevator once you're in it to make it work. Several times it did not work and the car would not move. Other people in the elevator all tried their cards too, and nothing. At that point the car descended by itself to the lobby. We asked the front desk clerk and he said "oh, it always does that. You have to jiggle it around" and came into the elevator with all of us and showed us how he jammed the key in and out and to the side. OK, so we learned to deal with that. We then asked the front desk where to meet for our free shuttle service to the University of Washington which we requested at the time of our reservation. (This, in fact, was the main reason we booked this room.) The clerk told us "it's not available, it's full." We asked how that was possible, since we had checked in the night before and requested it again and were not told of a problem. He said that the shuttle was being used to "do a pickup at the pier" whatever that meant. We asked him what our options were for transportation, and whether he could call us a cab. He said it would be faster for us to stand on the street. No help there. I mentioned that we had been assured upon making our reservation that there was shuttle service available, and he shrugged and said "Well, what do you want me to do?" My husband sent an email to the hotel but did not receive a response. I should have taken heed of the other reviews on this site, but sadly, I did not.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate B
Dear kateupstate,

Thank you for your review. I am terribly sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations. As you mentioned, unfortunately there are a few disappointing reviews on our trip advisor page that have occurred over the last few years. We never enjoy receiving poor reviews but we take them as an opportunity to learn and make the necessary changes to ensure other guests do not experience the same disappointing visits.

The good news is that although we do have a few of these, we also have 585 fantastic reviews from guests who absolutely love us. We take all reviews extremely serious. We celebrate the amazing reviews and learn from the disappointing reviews. We want all of our guests to see that our primary goal is to treat everyone to the highest level of comfort and care we possibly can. Your comments will help us to continue to meet this goal every day.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Housekeeping is pretty lousy. There was a hair on the shower wall - from previous guest. I left a message for housekeeping with the front desk about it. When I came back the the room, the hair was still there, although the fact that towels were fresh indicated that housekeeping has visited the room. Pretty disgusting.
Also there was a thick layer of dust and hairs on all the baseboards and power strip - I could not even use it to charge my electronics because it would be disgusting to touch the power strip to plug anything in.
Bathroom walls and door has hairs stuck and yellow stains - I'm assuming bodily fluids - not cleaned after the previous guests.
Room walls are made of paper - the coffemaker in the room next door sounded like it was working in my room. Not to mention TV or voices.
The only good thing I can say about the hotel is that the food was good - the mac&cheese was to die for, although waiter took his time to bring it to the room and the dish was cold - a huge disservice to the restaurant's chef.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valerie V,

Thank you for letting me know about your experience. I am so sorry that you found the room to be in such poor condition. Our housekeeping team takes great pride to ensure the rooms are spotless and as comfortable as possible for our guests. Clearly we did not hit that mark during your stay but that does not diminish the incredible hard working housekeeping crew that is here at the hotel.

I assure you I have already spoken to the team and this will be immediately corrected. This is not the standard that our guests have grown to expect from us.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a few days for business and I must say this was a great find for the price and is probably one of the biggest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in at that price they have a decent bar and restaurant in the basement of the hotel and have a nice size parking lot for you to park in they do charge for parking there but if you try to negotiate they may reduce the rate. The bed was big and nice and comfortable which is always important when traveling for work

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 3Xavier3
Hello3Xavier3,

I wanted to thank you for your review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your trip to the hotel and enjoyed the comfortable bed. I agree that we do have larger rooms than most hotels. As a historic building it is a surprise to many of our guests but it is one of the joys of the hotel.

Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

On our drive from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA, we did the typical outlet shop and had dinner at the Olive Garden, and arrived at the Hotel Deca around 9pm. Check in was quick, and the check in clerk was polite but seemed to be preoccupied. The following night, she remembered our room number and was really helpful. The staff was generally highly responsive and helpful. Maybe because the hotel isn't in downtown Seattle, we never had any huge waits at the front desk (good thing!). Our three year old had her own ladybug luggage but was happy to ride on the valet carts (there were 2-3 of these carts and my partner bright our luggage from the car and back out to the car at check out). We didn't notice any staff assisting with luggage, but we were happy to bring in and take out our own luggage. The room was nicely furnished and fairly clean. The chaise had a stain on it and I wasn't convinced that the bathroom had been super well cleaned (found hair on the ceiling when I looked up). It was quiet and the curtains kept the morning light out so we had a great sleep. The following morning, we visited the Seattle zoo (they actually have a shuttle van because its sooooooo close but we opted to take our own car because we could keep extra things in the car as it was drizzling (we are used to the rain (from Vancouver)) so had an extra pair of wellies for our 3 year old)). Here is where personal politics and parenting need to have a conversation ... Animals in captivity (small confined spaces and unnatural conditions, etc are an issue) but we appreciate there is a level of conservation in this process and an opportunity for children to see animals they would not normally see. But been at 3, we were having conversations about why they were fenced in, so we hope to continue taking this through as a family. But as far as zoos go, it was super kid friendly. And there were a lot of animals and been a children's in for play area (perfect during the downpour!). But we were disappointed to find that none of the gift shops were open and the concession stands were pretty limited. We had packed fruit and snacks so we were quite happy with our picnic snacks. We returned to he hotel for hot chocolate, tea, coffee and bagels with cream cheese for a late lunch. For dinner, we headed to the Cheesecake factory and they were super kid friendly. I know that the Olive Garden and the Cheesecake Factory aren't the most adventurous options nor does our choice support those amazing independent restaurants but my partner prefers 'tried-tested-and true' and they had good kid friendly meals. After another night at the hotel Deca, we headed to the ferry for a bit more quiet relaxation! Check out was a breeze and they were really great with providing directions! A big bonus was that this hotel was in walking distance to trader joe's so snacks were easy to obtain. I think the hotel is a wonderful boutique hotel in the making. We are definitely planning to stay here again,and have recommended it to other family members.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PinkGypsy
Dear PinkGypsy,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the hotel. I am so pleased that so many aspects of your visit were enjoyable. Hopefully we will see you again in the very near future.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Overall this is a decent hotel and very convenient to the UW and U District. Hotel is nice and higher rooms have good views. Rooms are spacious, bathrooms small but adequate. Closet has no door, just a curtain. Bath amenities are in pump dispensors in the shower and ours didn't function well. Bed very comfortable. You can hear conversations from corridor, but we heard little from other rooms during our 1 night stay. Parking is $19 and the hotel guest lot is full at night so it is hard to find a spot. Tully's in lobby not the best for tea or pastries. Starbucks nearby is better. Key card needed in elevator is tricky to use - repeated tries often necessary. We had prepaid for a sky-view room, floor 7 and up, but were originally given a room on the 5th floor with no explanation by receptionist. When I asked, she said it was a "suite" and actually an upgrade. I told them I wanted the original reservation and after waiting about 10 minutes to check with housekeeping, she gave me a choice of 7th floor or waiting for the 8th floor. A minute later she told us the 8th floor was available and we checked into that room. We were checking in at 4:30 pm. Staff was courteous but not friendly. I would stay here again only if my other choices were booked. Expensive for what you get, especailly with added parking.

Room Tip: "Sky View" rooms, Floors 7 - 16 best to minimize road noise. Corner rooms better.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear BJW789,

Thank you for taking the time to write you review. I would love to become your first and only choice when visiting Seattle. We are in the process of making a number of changes and upgrades to the hotel so I am confident we will change your opinion during your next visit to the hotel. I would love that challenge.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The hotel is an older building built about 30 years ago....has been renovated, but still needs some work...threadbare in places, but clean, pretty, elegantly furnished and appointed with modern looks. Nice bathrooms but the is a "bulk" shampoo/soap was pain to use. Comfy bed. Room size is adequate. Small TV (with and HD picture!), but that's OK..I didn't stay there to watch TV. The wireless is free but Oh. So. Slow! (1mbs) and a bit dysfunctional (you can upgrade to 5 mbs for ~$10/day). Seems so odd to have slow/dysfunctional WIFI with Microsoft just 5 miles away!!! Guest Service Directory and room service menu was missing from room. They claim to be a boutique hotel...but just barley make the grade. Lots of restaurants all a stones throw in the University District. Many, many public transit options all converge in the area. Front desk staff were perfunctory and not really too interested in helping. They were friendly, though. Overall I enjoyed my stay and likely would go back if the price was lower.

Room Tip: Ask for a upper floor corner room with a view of downtown Seattle and/or Mt Rainer....these rooms wi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hello Philip F,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you would return in the future. When you come back many changes may have occurred that address some of your concern. Last year we refreshed many aspects of our guest room however as you pointed out there are still a few things left to change. Over the next few months we will be replacing all of the guest room sofas and chairs, replacing the carpet and wallpaper to our hallways on our guest room floors, and renovating our lobby. I think these changes will be fantastic and will create a wonderful experience for our guest.

I look forward to your return.