“Very pleased with hotel and the staff was exceptional”
Review of Hotel Deca

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Picked this hotel from a list online through American Airlines Vacations. You never know what to expect when you are picking a hotel site unseen online. We were very pleased with the room and the staff. It was conveniently located to get to the university hospital. The lady that checked us in was very professional and nice. Our registration was entered late, we made last minute reservations to visit someone at the hospital, and since we had to wait a few minutes (less than 5) they gave us free parking. Couldn't ask for better service or nicer staff. The room was very clean with comfortable beds for sleeping. The bathroom was very small, no counter, but was clean and had a deep tub for a hot bath! The room was warm and comfortable. The free wi-fi was great and we had no problems accessing it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2011

Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm a little biased, but I truly believe we have the best staff in town! They make it a not only a great place to stay, but a great place to work. I really appreciate your recognizing their efforts. All the best for a wonderful New Year!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Deca

Reviewed 17 January 2011

Originaly had a room on the 4th floor and the very friendly clerk upgraded me to the 12th floor with no extra charge. The room was very clean and the veiw was awwesome. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and smelled very clean. The only problems I had were thata the remote needed new batteries and the shower head was more like water coming out of a hose than a shower. Other than that the stay was great.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I have been eating or staying at this hotel since the 1960s, when it was still the Meany Hotel. I saw its major renovation 20 or so years ago and have stayed many many times. PROS: This is quite a nice hotel with a long and flourishing history. It must be called a Seattle classic--would be nice if the hotel could provide photos of the old Meany and Towers hotels with some information on its history in the lovely lobby, particularly for old Seattlites who loved the old hotel. The hotel has a beautiful stylish lobby with great atmosphere and boasts a convenient location for a U-area hotel (easier "in and out" than the nearby Watertown Hotel). It is a quick trip downtown by car or bus. One can reach the Fairview/Mercer area downtown by means of easy-to-travel charming "lesser roads," if one is not inclined to take the busy and crowded freeway. There is a coffee shop in the lobby although it is quite a chilly place on a winter morning, so we took our coffee to go. There were complimentary newspapers and a very kind and friendly staff at the front desk. The beds were very satisfactory, although our quilt was worn and too thin to suffice. We added one from storage and were able to manage. The TV was a flat screen and very good. There was a nice desk. (The lamp light in the room was a little dim overall for one doing heavy reading.) The views in this hotel are truly wonderful, although the traffic noise is a little loud given the convenient location at a busy intersection with buses. (One must be careful to turn on the ventilation; this prevents a headache or similar from the occasional fumes rising from the street.) We used earplugs which we bring when we travel. We had no issues with noise from adjoining rooms or those above: this was great!

CONS: The room was adequate although definitely appearing more aged and frayed than it appeared perhaps 15 years ago. The level of "clean" was good. The decor is now a little old; there was some peeling wallpaper in the small but adequate bathroom; we noted that the bathroom shower head had separated from the wall. There were several bugs in the bathtub on arrival (easily remedied). The old taps in the tub did not work well (stiff and hard to control) and the shower head dripped for long periods even when the shower had not been touched. There was no ventilation fan in the bathroom--unless we missed the switch somehow.

The most significant "negative" was the lack of satisfactory and continuing wireless receptivity in the room we occupied. A family member reported the same in the other room we occcupied, although the wireless was better at one corner of that room. The rooter and the system were both cheerfully rebooted on two occasions by the accommodating staff but to no noticeable effect. I had to re-enter the password as well many times and had frequent error messages asking for a different password.

Another inconvenience was the lack (on 3 nights) of sufficiently hot water in the shower and tub. Baths were therefore not pleasant as the water quickly cooled from "barely hot," to too-cold-to-stay in the water. The tub in our room was semi-blocked and very slow--a minor issue. A function-check of all fixtures in the bathrooms would be recommended.

All and all, the hotel was advertised at a good rate, and even with the above reservations, I would possibly stay again if the hot water issue could be remedied and the wireless service strengthened.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank destinationvaried
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2011

Thank you for your great feedback. We are currently planning our next renovation and some of your suggestions could be very valuable to the process. Please accept my apologies for the issues with the wireless and the hot water. Both were temporary conditions that have now been remedied. On the weekend you were here one of our boilers went down causing us to run at ½ capacity. Unfortunately a part was not available until the following Monday. The problem with the internet access was a little more intricate, but our IT team was able to find it and make the necessary repairs. I’d love to hear some of your memories of the hotel thru the years. Let me know the next time your travels lead you back to Seattle and I’ll buy you a cup of coffee. Thanks again!

Reviewed 29 December 2010

This could have been a nice stay at a nice hotel in a nice location (close to UW), but it was marred by a bit of scam-flam that misrepresented the actual cost. I "Pricelined" for the room and got a fair price, but when I called to confirm the reservation I was told that it was "a single studio room—our lowest grade room" and only suitable for one person. I had "checkboxed" a two-person occupancy when bidding, so of course needed a room to accomodate two people. I was told I would have to pay $30 ($25+tax) more for a double-occupancy room. I explained I had indicated it was for two-person occupancy and never had such a problem in six years and a few dozen Priceline uses. I was told I shouldn't use Priceline (!) and that all of the hotels in Seattle did this. First, it's HOTEL DECA that decides to use Priceline, and HOTEL DECA that decides to disregard the two-person occupancy indicator and instead milk another $30 out of double occupancy even though they knew it was to be a double occupancy. It's ufortunate that an otherwise nice hotel would engage in a petty $30 scam-flam in this way; they should NOT participate in Priceline because it hurts their reputation and misrepresents the cost of a room. Note: I brought this up with the staff again on arrival at the hotel and was given the shrug/"nothing we can do" treatment. I encourage HOTEL DECA to change such unflattering and off-putting behavior and engage in in a way that better reflects their otherwise lovely hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2010

Thank you for this valuable feedback. Please accept my apologies that our team did not define the reservation process better. All of our rooms can accommodate at a minimum two people. However, the Studio Single rooms have one Double-sized bed that is more comfortable for one person, but they can accommodate two. We routinely offer the opportunity to upgrade to a larger room to all our guests, but it is not mandatory, and this is the way it should have been explained. We will definitely take your comments back to our team to make sure we improve on this process. I would also appreciate the opportunity to make this right for you personally. I can be reached at ddennis@hoteldeca.com or (206) 634-2000. Thanks again!

Reviewed 24 December 2010

excellent professional staff - made me feel welcome and great attention to detail.

The buiding is older and it was not a full renovation - rather cosmetic for the most part w/ new wallpaper, etc - charming but not as physically convenient as some of the new hotels

As long as you go towards the university the area is safe - mostly kids and restaurants, book stores that cater to this young crowd

Big issue! The wireless in my room did not work unless I placed my laptop right next to the dooor - this is Seattle! The city runs on wireless and they really need to fix that - if you are on business you may end up having to change rooms to get one w/ a strong wireless signal

The restaurant is good with once again - excellent staff

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for the compliments about our staff; and please accept my apologies that the wireless signal was not sufficient in your room. We definitely understand how important having good internet access is to our guests. We just completed an upgrade in October that substantially increased our capacity, and we continue to look for ways to make the system even better. Hopefully you had a chance to report the issue to our Front Desk team so that we can have our IT staff check the signal strength in that area. If not, I would really appreciate it if you would send me a quick note with the room number you were in so we can track it down. I can be reached via email at ddennis@hoteldeca.com or @ (206) 634-2000. Thanks again!

Reviewed 18 December 2010

I randomly decided to take a class by Stu Stuart, comedian and beer expert from the UW at the Experimental College in Seattle. In searching for a hotel I wanted somewhere I would feel safe and cozy and clean while traveling alone. The staff was awesome. So friendly and helpful and accommodating. The hotel was clean and I loved the technology available with the i-pod doc, flat screen, and DVD player.

I will stay there again if I travel that way in the future!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2010

Thanks! I’m really glad you enjoyed your stay. The next time you visit checkout our complimentary DVD library at the Front Desk. We add to it every month, and have a great combination of contemporaries and classics. Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 4 December 2010

Spent 10days at the hotel. Room and service were excellent. Bathroom was small but clean. Location was near to visiting family. Location was in the Washington University area.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
decadon, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2010

Thanks for the kind words. Happy Holidays! Don Dennis ~ General Manager