“My husband's favorite thing we did in Seattle”
Review of Alki Kayak Tours

Alki Kayak Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us for an exploration of Elliott Bay and the Alki Peninsula on human powered watercraft. We explore the natural history and human history of the Seattle waterfront.
Ellicott City, Maryland
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“My husband's favorite thing we did in Seattle”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We are not seasoned, nor particularly competent kayakers, but we went for it and totally enjoyed our time on the water. All morning seeing the Seattle views, the action on the water, getting exercise, being outdoors, what more could you want. I was glad it wasn't windy though!

Visited August 2013

seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Must do for guests to Seattle”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We live nearby Alki. Alki Kayak Tours has been a recurrent go-to activity for visitors. Everything from kayak tours to paddle boards rentals, which has become all the easier to do when they have the renal tent up on Alki beach. During the summer, there is no better way to experience the awesome views of downtown Seattle South to Mt. Rainier and West to the Olympics.

Visited August 2012
Syracuse, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great tour perfect weather - lots of fun”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I was recently staying in downtown Seattle as part of a workshop. It was my first time to the pacific northwest, and I was looking for something to do that was a little out of the ordinary. I have my own kayak, and started looking for kayaking opportunities. Alki Kayak tours was very accessible - you can take the water taxi from pier 50 along the waterfront in downtown Seattle - it was $4/person and took about 10 minutes to get across to the kayak rental which is located right where the water taxi lets you out. We chose the sunset tour and had a great experience - we got to tour some of the working harbor areas, saw harbor seals and other wildlife, and learned a lot about the ecology and history of the area from our tour guide (Greg). Afterwards we had a bit to eat at the adjacent restaurant which had killer Korean/Hawaiian fusion food - not expensive, very tasty, and they had a good beer selection too. Alki provided us with sprayskirts and water shoes - a very good thing. Overall this was just a great down to earth trip that did not break the bank and was an excellent way to experience the city. Thanks Alki! Keep up the good work.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Samuel G
Chino Hills, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great Tour but weather killed the sunset”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

The kayak tour was great. Our guide was knowledgeable and made the ride very fun. We did the sunset tour, which was not as beautiful due to the drizzle and cloud cover. The guide said that it would be OK, as we would just get to go further into downtown than other tours--translation paddle a lot more without seeing anything extra. The trip was fun but didn't see much--we saw a harbor seal pop it's head and a couple of birds. We learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Make sure to get a 2 for 1 coupon. I am not from Seattle but did find a coupon on ebay for 4 dollars (saved me 45 when I got there). Make sure to wear something light. I was nervous that I would be freezing (the water was cold and it was drizzling) and wore a heavy sweatshirt--a huge mistake. You wear a guard to protect from getting water in the boat and I didn't get very wet even with the drizzle.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank lovetodive355
Wayne, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Highly dissappointed-skip this tour!”
Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

Skip this kayak tour. We went on fathers day based on reviews. You will be Much better off just renting a kayak on your own. We did the Duwamish 3 hour river tour, which took 5 hours due to headwinds. I don't mind paddling hard if there's something worth seeing, but all we saw was old ship yards and cars and a dirty river and it was expensive to boot.

Kayak_Alki, Owner at Alki Kayak Tours, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Hello, I am the founder of Alki Kayak Tours.

It was too bad the reviewer did not enjoy the trip, the Duwamish River is the only river in the city of Seattle, and has a legacy of pollution. It is an environmental education opportunity, and most often is taken by locals. It is an opportunity to have an urban wildlife experience, and paddle within the shipping channels with vessels from throughout the globe.

We have NW weather in Seattle, and heavy winds were occurring during this trip, the route was safe, as is always our top concern. We probably would have taken this tour as a safety route even if it had not been requested by the participant, as there was a small craft warning in effect around the normal Lighthouse Tour route.

Regarding wildlife, there are lots of sightings, including Bald Eagle, Osprey, Caspian Tern, Sea Lions, and Harbor Seals regularly to name but a few. They are on their own schedule and sometimes you have to have an eagle eye out in order to see them, sometimes they are illusive. Heavy winds had something to do with the sightings, but after a de-brief with the guide, I was assured there were Osprey sightings at a minimum.

In all I believe this review is unfair as we provided exactly what we said we would, an adventure up the Duwamish River. If you are able to enjoy what life gives you, and do not expect everything at your beck and call, then it is an enjoyable trip.

Regarding cost, we are MUCH CHEAPER than any other 3 hour tour in tourist destination locations including the San Juan Islands, Canada, and Mexico I have experienced. I try to take a tour every time I travel, and see value in our tour.

Been to Alki Kayak Tours? Share your experiences!