“Trendy and Affordable”

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Courtesy of employees really stood out - very nice people. Basic room was nice, large and comfortable (green hotel). Would like to have had a couch or more comfortable chair in the room. Lobby is modern with a bar/restaurant and sitting area, nothing major - clean. Located just a couple of blocks from all of the tourist attractions. Cabs are plentiful and actually enjoyable experience. Hotel has a spa and pool. Did not eat there. Would stay again even though they didnt have a business center.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TeamPA

Reviewed 3 June 2011

My wife and I stayed there 5 mights. Room was very retro and very nice. What impressed us most was the exercise room...fantastic! Staff was friendly and prices surprisingly affordable.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2011

This was the first hotel of our vacation in Seattle. The location is good. Walk to Pikes Market, about 20 minutes. A block from the high end mall and shops. Cheesecake factory was around the corner. The room was Hyatt quality, really comfortable bed and they supply you with everything you need. Very Comfortable and what you expect from Hyatt. My only issues: A cooler they called a refrigerator didn't work and our food spoiled but they sent up milk at no cost for cereal we brought. The parking was ridiculously overpriced, about $40.00 per day, the lot across the street was $25.00. They make you pay for internet which I find absurd. At these rates it should be complimentary like most hotels. Even low end hotels offer free wifi, no excuse they make you pay other then another way to gouge the guest for that extra buck. Last complaint was the salt water pool which was heated to 80' was cold. Only little kids were in and we lasted about 5 minutes, it was way to cold.
Overall, I recommend this hotel if your a business traveler or have money to burn. After all this is a Hyatt so you know it's going to be expensive. As for traveling here with a 1 year old child, not recommended since cheaper hotels offer the same amenities.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank haringdr27
Reviewed 30 May 2011

As one of Hyatt property you can depend on the reputation of a good and well maintain property. The lobby has a modern-zen like quality. I would describe the guest experience as "strictly business" as it should be.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I spent a week in Seattle on business and was booked into this hotel. The location is great - very central, close to a lot of good shopping and sight-seeing areas. My room was a Deluxe King and I found it to be a decent size, with several good features such as a large flat-screen TV, sizeable desk for working at, armchair and coffee table, enormous (and incredibly comfy!) bed, coffee maker, a refrigerator (very handy), a safe and all other expected facilities. The room was well insulated from external noise, but I did find that noise came in through the door quite a lot and I could hear other guests going in & out of their rooms, chatting etc. No worse than most hotels I've stayed at, though.

The bathroom is also very nicely set up, although it's a shame that the King Deluxe rooms don't come with a bath - I could really have done with one of those! Lots of good complimentary toiletries were provided, along with plenty of white, fluffy towels and a lovely dressing gown. The shower does take a while to reach temperature but I had no problems with hot water and found the water pressure to be fine (though I would prefer a more powerful shower I appreciate the goal of conserving water!).

The hotel has a restaurant attached to it, Urbane, which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and also offers room service. As I was a solo traveller I made quite a lot of use of room service and for the most part found the food to be of really excellent quality and very generous portions. Particular recommendations: for breakfast, buttermilk waffles or goat's cheese scramble, and for lunch/dinner the hanger steak and fries was great. As to wine, the house red is very drinkable, though I was less keen on the house white - a bit too sweet for my taste.

Another great thing about this hotel is the fitness center, and in particular the pool. Whenever I used it I had the whole pool to myself, as well as the hot tub, steam room and sauna. The gym is also reasonably well equipped and is open 24 hours which is really handy when you're jetlagged and can't sleep at 4am!

So, the only area I felt the hotel could improve is on its service. Don't get me wrong - perhaps 80% of the time, service was absolutely great - friendly, helpful and quick to resolve any queries. Unfortunately this was slightly undermined by some less positive experiences. In particular this has to come down to the housekeeping who cleaned my room, which varied from great to dreadful. Some days I came back to my room and my room service tray hadn't been cleared, there were dirty glasses still left around the room, my towels hadn't been replaced on the rails, etc. In a hotel of this quality, I expect better than that and I think that they should invest some time and money in making sure their housekeeping staff are properly trained and aware of all the tasks they are expected to complete. That said, for the most part, service was great - just this one area that needs work.

The other thing I was disappointed by was the fact that you have to pay for internet access. Not sure how wide-spread it is in the US but in the UK most business hotels provide free Wifi in rooms; here it costs $10 a day! These days it's pretty much a prerequisite to have internet access in the evenings when travelling on business and free Wifi would have been appreciated.

In all I would recommend this hotel for business travellers (with the exception of the Wifi point above!) and for tourists wanting a central downtown location in Seattle, and I particularly rate Urbane for its great food. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Olive 8 for 5 nights in May. We upgraded to the hypoallergenic floor (and extra $25.00 per night) and I must say, it was worth it. Very, very clean, I dont think there many people on our floor so it was very quiet, no door slamming in the middle of the night! Our package included breakfast and it was delicious, lots of choices. The only weird thing was there was no bathtub in the huge bathroom. It was a great stay and we would definatley go back there. It also has the biggest pool and no one was ever in it!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the hypoallergenic floor!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2011

First off, if you like trendy, new hotels, the decor and furnishing at the Hyatt are great. Also great fitness centre. The service however leaves much to be desired. I booked this hotel on a discount website for a weekend, paying half rack rate. The staff were unenthusiatic and the checkin experience alone gave me the impression the Hyatt was more interested in trying to extract every dime from me than providing helpful service. Checking in at 4, I was told me room was not ready but for only another $25 a night I could have an allegry friendly room (which just has an air filter in it) or leave and come back later. I came back an hour back later, and was given the same room that they had tried to upsell me before. If my booked class of room is not available, most other hotels give a free upgrade instead of trying to upsell you or make you wander the city for an hour.

The parking is horrendously expensive,$41 per day for valet ($50 with taxes and tips) and when I asked about cheaper options I was told that there was a self park a block away for $28 /day but nothing else and that it would likely end up cheaper to use the valet service. Fortunately a local tipped me off that street parking from 6 pm Sat to 8 am Monday is free in Seattle. It was dissapointing that I specifically asked about cheaper parking and was not told about free street parking on the weekend, closer to the hotel than the safe park. Between the room "upgrade" which they tried to get me to buy and didn't, and pushing me to use valet service and not telling about the free street parking, in my first few minutes they tried to get me to spend another $150, close to the cost of my 2 night booking.

There was no effort on the part of staff to explain the ammenties or help me with my luggage and generally more interested in talking to themselves than providing prompt service. The comparable hotel chain that I normally stay at gives me free parking, free internet, free bottled water, free upgrades when rooms aren't availble. The Hyatt: $4 bottles of water, $15 internet charges, no paper. Maybe upselling and not telling guests about free parking are part of the corporate culture or maybe I got second rate service because I used a vocher from a discount website. It's a nice hotel for style, just don't expect to be treated as a valued guest.

Room Tip: Check on discount hotel website
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo