“Modern, trendy and centrally located”
Review of Hyatt At Olive 8

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #9 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hamburg, Germany
“Modern, trendy and centrally located”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

One of the better Hyatt Hotels, trendy with a distinctively "green" touch, nice and modern rooms, very good breakfast, friendly service, and a superb swimming pool. The location is central yet quiet (as long as you choose one of the upper floor rooms). As others mentioned, the (inexpensive) airport train stops just a few blocks from the hotel. All in all a very good stay for a reasonable rate.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt Olive 8 with some friends last weekend. The location is very convenient - about a two minute walk to the nearest restaurants and about five to 10 minutes to Pike Place market on foot. The fitness facility is one of the best that I've ever experienced in a hotel, including a full length pool for swimming laps.

My one criticism is that I booked a room with two beds for three people, which was confirmed by the hotel, and when I arrived they only had a room with a king bed. When I requested a roll-away (since three of us were not going to squeeze into one bed), we were charged an extra $15. Also, parking is $40 per night. We chose to park on the street instead, since it is free from 8 pm on Saturday through until early Monday morning.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Courtesy of employees really stood out - very nice people. Basic room was nice, large and comfortable (green hotel). Would like to have had a couch or more comfortable chair in the room. Lobby is modern with a bar/restaurant and sitting area, nothing major - clean. Located just a couple of blocks from all of the tourist attractions. Cabs are plentiful and actually enjoyable experience. Hotel has a spa and pool. Did not eat there. Would stay again even though they didnt have a business center.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TeamPA
austin
Reviewed 3 June 2011

My wife and I stayed there 5 mights. Room was very retro and very nice. What impressed us most was the exercise room...fantastic! Staff was friendly and prices surprisingly affordable.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 June 2011

This was the first hotel of our vacation in Seattle. The location is good. Walk to Pikes Market, about 20 minutes. A block from the high end mall and shops. Cheesecake factory was around the corner. The room was Hyatt quality, really comfortable bed and they supply you with everything you need. Very Comfortable and what you expect from Hyatt. My only issues: A cooler they called a refrigerator didn't work and our food spoiled but they sent up milk at no cost for cereal we brought. The parking was ridiculously overpriced, about $40.00 per day, the lot across the street was $25.00. They make you pay for internet which I find absurd. At these rates it should be complimentary like most hotels. Even low end hotels offer free wifi, no excuse they make you pay other then another way to gouge the guest for that extra buck. Last complaint was the salt water pool which was heated to 80' was cold. Only little kids were in and we lasted about 5 minutes, it was way to cold.
Overall, I recommend this hotel if your a business traveler or have money to burn. After all this is a Hyatt so you know it's going to be expensive. As for traveling here with a 1 year old child, not recommended since cheaper hotels offer the same amenities.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank haringdr27
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 30 May 2011

As one of Hyatt property you can depend on the reputation of a good and well maintain property. The lobby has a modern-zen like quality. I would describe the guest experience as "strictly business" as it should be.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I spent a week in Seattle on business and was booked into this hotel. The location is great - very central, close to a lot of good shopping and sight-seeing areas. My room was a Deluxe King and I found it to be a decent size, with several good features such as a large flat-screen TV, sizeable desk for working at, armchair and coffee table, enormous (and incredibly comfy!) bed, coffee maker, a refrigerator (very handy), a safe and all other expected facilities. The room was well insulated from external noise, but I did find that noise came in through the door quite a lot and I could hear other guests going in & out of their rooms, chatting etc. No worse than most hotels I've stayed at, though.

The bathroom is also very nicely set up, although it's a shame that the King Deluxe rooms don't come with a bath - I could really have done with one of those! Lots of good complimentary toiletries were provided, along with plenty of white, fluffy towels and a lovely dressing gown. The shower does take a while to reach temperature but I had no problems with hot water and found the water pressure to be fine (though I would prefer a more powerful shower I appreciate the goal of conserving water!).

The hotel has a restaurant attached to it, Urbane, which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and also offers room service. As I was a solo traveller I made quite a lot of use of room service and for the most part found the food to be of really excellent quality and very generous portions. Particular recommendations: for breakfast, buttermilk waffles or goat's cheese scramble, and for lunch/dinner the hanger steak and fries was great. As to wine, the house red is very drinkable, though I was less keen on the house white - a bit too sweet for my taste.

Another great thing about this hotel is the fitness center, and in particular the pool. Whenever I used it I had the whole pool to myself, as well as the hot tub, steam room and sauna. The gym is also reasonably well equipped and is open 24 hours which is really handy when you're jetlagged and can't sleep at 4am!

So, the only area I felt the hotel could improve is on its service. Don't get me wrong - perhaps 80% of the time, service was absolutely great - friendly, helpful and quick to resolve any queries. Unfortunately this was slightly undermined by some less positive experiences. In particular this has to come down to the housekeeping who cleaned my room, which varied from great to dreadful. Some days I came back to my room and my room service tray hadn't been cleared, there were dirty glasses still left around the room, my towels hadn't been replaced on the rails, etc. In a hotel of this quality, I expect better than that and I think that they should invest some time and money in making sure their housekeeping staff are properly trained and aware of all the tasks they are expected to complete. That said, for the most part, service was great - just this one area that needs work.

The other thing I was disappointed by was the fact that you have to pay for internet access. Not sure how wide-spread it is in the US but in the UK most business hotels provide free Wifi in rooms; here it costs $10 a day! These days it's pretty much a prerequisite to have internet access in the evenings when travelling on business and free Wifi would have been appreciated.

In all I would recommend this hotel for business travellers (with the exception of the Wifi point above!) and for tourists wanting a central downtown location in Seattle, and I particularly rate Urbane for its great food. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business