“Met expectations but probably won't there stay again”
Review of Hyatt At Olive 8

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #9 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
California
“Met expectations but probably won't there stay again”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed at downtown Seattle for just the last night of our trip. I had visited Seattle before and stayed at the Grand Hyatt a few years ago. The Hyatt at Olive 8 is obviously designed to be a modern and hip hotel but more "accessible" to the public. I thought the lobby was quite bare. Room was nicely appointed except the following: 1) room noise - the door/lock system was fairly noisy (or may be because the walls were thin). Every time someone opens/closes the door you hear a loud click and bang. You can also hear faint traffic noise from the main street. 2) we only had a Queen size bed (I would not pay $280++ for a Queen size for two). 3) shower/faucet had very low flow of water. No bath tub in our room. This hotel is a green hotel but personally I like the option of taking a bath.
4) The duvet felt cheap - reminds me of a Courtyard hotel where you just get a bed sheet as duvet. They had a back up blanket (cotton) in the closet. As a Hyatt hotel and sleeping in cool weather, I’d expect they at least have a down duvet or wool blanket.

Valet parking was $40 a night which I guess is expected at any major city. Service of the hotel was good. Too bad we didn't use the spa/pool sounds like there are a lot of positive reviews.
The highlight of our stay was our breakfast. Restaurant was busy but food came out quickly. Definitely the best French Toast I've had. My husband had an omelet which was very good. Coffee was excellent as expected. Would definitely return for the restaurant but not to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I have stayed at most of the hotels in the vicinity - Paramount, Hotel Max, Mayflower. Hyatt is a little more expensive but it was worth it. I bought the advance purchase rate which made this affordable for me.

Really liked the newness of the building. The pool and spa is awesome. Great location for shopping in downtown Seattle. Also Whole Foods was about 7 blocks away so easy to pick up food if you are on a strict diet and can't fine dine.... can't comment on the restaurants, as I didn't eat at them.

You can't open the windows in the room but this made the room extremely quiet when sleeping and the ventilation was good. Normally I can't stand it when I can't open the window but I felt fine with the air quality. Good mattresses. Have a great sleep.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This is a fantastic hotel. It looks like it was built yesterday. Good size room with outstanding amenities. The room was perfect. Friendly service at front desk and the main floor restaurant. Large size pool and jacuzzi. Located right in the heart of Seattle walking distance to most areas. Book this property with confidence.

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We stayed here for 9 nights in June 2011 and I loved this hotel. It has the best pool/ health club I have ever seen, which made me love it so much (the pool is huge and the steam room, sauna, jacuzzi etc. are awesome). The room is decorated in a modern/minimalist style, but it is nothing extraordinary. I actually did not like the frosted glass bathroom door because it did not isolate the noise at all (my 2-year old daughter would wake up every time I used the bathroom and every time i opened and closed the door) so I consider it the major defect of the room. I also noticed dust and a nut under the nightstand a few minutes after we entered the room the first time, although they would clean the room quite well every day. The marble shower is really nice, despite the environmentally friendly feature (lower water pressure than normal). The room was really quiet, which was critical for me to have a good night sleep. We booked a couple of tours through the concierge and he was very helpful but slow. Overall, I found all the other services at the hotel (room service, taxi service, bell-man) to be impeccable. Any request you make by phone is immediately solved. We had a lovely stay overall and I would definitely stay here again next time I am in Seattle.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We recently stayed here for a brief vacation before a work-related conference. Overall, this is an excellent hotel. The room was well appointed and very clean. (One thing we did notice off the bat is that the rooms seem a tad bit narrow - but they're pretty long, so that makes up for it.) The bathroom is nice, but there was only a stand-up shower. Still, plenty of room. The bed was comfortable and the housekeeping service was great. And, the hotel gym is the BEST I've ever seen at a hotel.

One downside is that they charge for internet access. The concierge was helpful but there is not really a business center.

The location is good - walkable to Pike Place Market and shopping, and not too far from other attractions.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We are a family of three traveling to Seattle last summer for a couple of days prior to our cruise to Alaska. This is probably one of most favorite place we've ever visited. Seattle is a wonderful city with so much diversity. We choose this hotel based on the location and that was a "green hotel". First, the room was large, clean and the view was a really nice city view. We ate the hotel restaurant the first night as we were pretty jet lagged coming from South Florida. The food was ok, and pricey. We are simple eaters and it was just a bit too fancy for us, but the ambience was very nice. We found a Cheesecake Factory around the corner which was more our style, especially with a pickey eater of a teenager. There is a great place for breakfast around the corner as well, in an Asian restuarant that serves sushi..I can't remember the name of it but it was really good food for breakfast and reasonable price. The server there was wonderful. Pikes Market was a few minutes walk and we took public transportation to visit the Space Needle. We purchased a pair of expensive (Mount St. Helen) earrings and by accident I left it in the hotel room after we checked out going to our cruise.

Mid week through the cruise, I realized what happened and from Alaska, I called the hotel and put a lost and found request in. I didn't think I would ever hear back. But I did. The earrings were found and they mailed it back and I received them about ten days later.

It's wonderful to know that honesty still remains especially coming from a large chain hotel. This hotel had plenty of amenities, but we didn't have much time to use them, but their guest services and room service people are honest and that alone is a great reason to stay here. This is a beautiful hotel. We would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. We had a city view room although to be honest the view itself was nothing to write home about but we were high up and it was quiet so we were quite happy.

The room itself was lovely, nicely decorated and comfortable. The bathroom was beautiful. Other reviewers were right about the shower pressure but that was no big deal.

The staff here were all very helpful and friendly.

Downtown Seattle isn't huge so any hotel in 'downtown' isn't far from the action and the Hyatt was no exception.

If we were back in Seattle we would be very happy to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011