“Top Notch”

Hyatt At Olive 8
Ranked #8 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. The staff was friendly. The room was very large and spacious. The appointments were very unique. The hotel amenities were above-par, something I like about the Hyatt chain. The fitness room was very well equipped with cardio and weight machines, along with free weights and benches. The hotel itself is situated downtown, a quick walk from Pacific Place mall and a number of Seattle attractions.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,573)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here once again, for a quick weekend getaway to go shopping for my partners birthday... Got upgraded to the Luxury King room as a Hyatt Diamond GP member.

Everything at this hotel remains amazing, breakfast remains the best in the north american Hyatts I have stayed thus far. All the facilities are worth checking out, especially the spa and pool. Can't beat the location as well, easy access to Westlake if you want to take the train. Hertz is a block down at the GH if you need to rent a car, which is extremely convenient.

Happy hour is a must at Urbane as well. Will hopefully be back soon, Seattle remains a top weekend destination for me because of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Friendly, efficient staff greeted me upon my late arrival to the city. Was upgraded to a gorgeous suite with a decent city view. Did not spend much time at the hotel itself, unfortunately, but what I saw of it was very clean, well-maintained, and attractive. Cannot comment on parking since I didn't have a car...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank likes_to_go_abroad
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Great hotel. Worst staff

Let me explain:
It was our first time staying here at this Hyatt. I have stayed at multiple Hyatts and have always had a great time. To kick start the unpleasant evening there is no parking. Valet only. If you want to park you will have to pay by the hour in neighboring lots. When we got to the hotel they mixed up our room. They placed us in a regular room when we booked a suite. Not a problem that can't be fixed. What upset me was the fact that when we told them there was a mistake they automatically assumed that we booked our room on expedia. When in fact, we booked it directly from the hotel. To compensate us for the mistake they offered a free breakfast. The suite was great. Clean. Big.

It all went downhill from there. Please be sure you ask about their hotel policy beforehand. We had the suite on New Year's Eve. A place where our friends could meet up, put things down and head out for a great new year celebration in downtown Seattle. Not too far from the space needle. They decided to inform us at the time of check in that only four people were allowed in a room. Chalking it up to the fire code. What didn't make sense is that we ordered a suite knowing that we would have a large party rendezvous before heading out. If it was based on the fire code it should have depended on the square footage, which we definitely had enough of.

We tried to explain our situation to the guards at the elevators (Yes, 6 Seattle police) and the staff at the front desk. Mr. Whelan was the one who we spoke to who worked at the Hyatt. I did not feel like he even tried to help. We were so upset that we decided to cancel our reservation and asked for our money back. Mr. Whelan agreed to refund the money, but gave us 30 mins to clean up our stuff and get out of the room. We asked for 1 hr since there was a lot of packing to do (getting ready to go into the new year a dresses up and fancy). Mr. Whelan's response was, " I could just charge you for the room. 30 mins is all I can allow for" this was at 11pm.

Not only did they ruin our New Year's Eve by the lack of communicating the changes in their policy before check in, they staff was rude and were not there to help. It seemed like they wanted us to leave.

I am very disappointed that a highly regarded hotel would treat their customers so poorly. I know I will never stay here again.

Please be careful and really think twice before booking this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
19  Thank Nella180
SeattleHyattHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for your review; your comfort and happiness is our number one priority here at the Hyatt at Olive 8. Please accept our sincerest apologies that your stay was anything less than perfect, our goal is always to exceed your expectations. As an esteemed hotel of quality it is a prerequisite that the safety and comfort of our guests is a primary concern. Olive 8 hotel confirmations include the information regarding occupancy restrictions for our rooms. In addition, we too would prefer less security presence in our hotel but have the duty to maintain fire codes and safety standards; unfortunately, New Years Eve has become an event where these extra measures are required. We hope this will not deter you from choosing Hyatt Hotels and Resorts in the future, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again.

Sarah S.
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed at the Olive 8 twice in Seattle earlier this year for business. This is a silly thing, but I have never liked pears. I've always thought of it as my least favorite fruit. Open check-in, the hotel had a bowl of pears at the registration desk. Yummy! Needless to say I'm now a pear fan. This hotel was top notch. The staff was very helpful and the rooms were clean. Close to everything.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We found this hotel on Priceline express deals,
We just needed a place for one night, nice hotel, great location and a friendly staff.
Easy walk to Pikes Market and other downtown locations.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmarch333
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Fabulous stay, fabulous location and lovely staff. The hotel on the corner has a sushi happy hour which we really enjoyed and breakfast downstairs was lovely. No guest laundry which was a little disappointing

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family