“Comfort with Contrast”

Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Comfort with Contrast”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hotel is very clean and the rooms well sized (at least my room with 1 King).

I was able to check in quite early and the staff was quite helpful...thankfully no one was chasing my luggage (all one bag).

My Wi-Fi was complimentary and the speed of the connection was good.

This is not a classic old hotel look. Rather the hotel had a rather cosmopolitan flair.

The shower water pressure was average and there was no bath tub (if that is important to you).

Unfortunately, I did not have time to use the fitness room or the pool.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We were pleased by the hotels location in relation to pikes pier, sporting arenas, and great food, all were within a 5-15 minute walk. Loved the valet parking and the hotel staff were excellent, knowledgeable and very welcoming.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dinajmr
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed at the hotel for four nights over the Easter weekend. We were impressed with the hotel, especially with the staff and service we received. Our room was huge, with two walls of windows and we did not hear noise from any adjoining rooms.

The bathroom was smaller than we'd anticipated, but nicely stocked with toothpaste and other amenities.

The fitness room and swimming pool are both noteworthy, as they have huge windows.

The staff were all welcoming and helpful, and we received some great restaurant tips from the concierge.

I ate twice at Urbane for breakfast and found the food to be good. Their coffee bar does have excellent coffee, as does most so Seattle.

The location was close to excellent shopping and the walk down to the water, while hilly, was very manageable. We walked everywhere while we were there, and enjoyed being so centrally located.

Found that the hotel had a nice 'boutique' feel in its lobby, despite the number of rooms it has and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there,

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Maureen M
St. Louis
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I love Hyatt hotels, this one is horrible for the simple fact you can hear a pin drop in the room next to you. My neighbor was up coughing and kept me awake...the staff is great, the restaurant fabulous, rooms modern (although small), but sleep quality is the most important for me. I'll try another Hyatt downtown next time.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank samluvstravel
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hyatt at Olive 8 for 5 nights. This was definitely one of the nicest hotels we've stayed at. The hotel is new, and modern. We loved the simple, clean decor. The location was great...just a short walk to lots of shopping and Pike Place. Westlake station was also close by which was convenient for taking the monorail to Seattle Center to see a bunch of the attractions there.

Check-in was simple. We arrived late at night (felt even later for us as we were on east coast time). The young lady at the front desk empathized and quickly moved us along. We stayed in a standard king room. The room itself was a good size, was very clean and well-maintained. The bed was comfortable and had a nice duvet. I loved the bathroom decor. The "open" shower was different but really nice. There were a lot of little extras that were nice (like the anti-fog mirror). On our last night, we discovered the pool. We wish we went sooner! The pool area was really enjoyable, especially the hot tub. It wasn't crowded at all. There were lots of towels laid out on the recliners. The area felt almost spa-like, especially the change room that was well-stocked with toiletries. It was nice to detoxify in the steam room after spending days walking around the city.

The only negative thing I found about this hotel was the lack of soundproofing between rooms. We could hear word for word conversations from the people staying next to us. Fortunately for us, it was just on our last night. Overall though, we had a fabulous stay and would gladly return if we ever visit Seattle again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We spent 5 nights in mid April and enjoyed our stay. Very nice hotel and very clean. The room had everything we needed and the view of downtown was nice as well. Service at the front desk was great. The location is great for travelers as it less than a 15 minute walk to most attractions downtown.

We have no complaints about this hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Like all Hyatt properties I've stayed in, the Hyatt At Olive 8 provides a comfortable, upscale room without the fussiness you might find at other places. We got a corner room which provided an excellent view of the city; although on a lower floor - 4 - one wall of our corner room abutted the roof of the adjacent building, so one wall of our corner faced out onto a roof and giant air conditioning units. Still, the city view aside from the roof was excellent. The bed was wonderful and the other amenities were fine.

The hotel's location is central to the eastern end of downtown. It's a bit of a hike back up from Pike's Place and the waterfront attractions, but a nice walk if you're a hiker and unbothered by hills. Still, you will find an upscale shopping center nearby, along with assorted retailers of nearly every variety within a short few blocks. The Convention Center is almost next door. Nearby restaurants abound, from upscale fine dining, to chain favorites, to gastropubs and bakeries. One of our favorite breakfast spots is a short four blocks away.

Where this hotel really set itself apart is with the service provided by its employees. I was flying in from a business trip and meeting my wife and 4-month-old daughter for an evening in downtown Seattle. My wife and daughter arrived first. She attempted to check in at the Grand Hyatt in Seattle (pretty much across the street from the Hyatt at Olive 8).

Despite her mistake, the Grand Hyatt employees were friendly and helped my wife with our bags across the street and left her with an Olive 8 employee who, in turn, helped my wife check in and take her bags upstairs to our room. This employee offered my wife a complimentary bottle of wine and a free movie credit simply because of the fact that I would not get in until later. It is nice to know that my wife and daughter were not treated as if they were a nuisance or a chore (like I've experienced at some of Hyatt's competitors). In my absence, the employees of Hyatt made sure my wife and daughter made it safely to their room, and showed that the comfort of their guests is a top priority.

I would not hesitate to stay at this property again or to recommend it to friends and colleagues needing a room in downtown Seattle.

Room Tip: If you're going to get a corner room, splurge for a higher floor if available (at least higher t...