“Impressive” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kennewick, WA
“Impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

Stayed at the new Hyatt at Olive 8 in February of 2010. Nice and new decor. The room was super comfortable and beautuful. I loved the sliding door to the bathroom and the closet. The bar food was very tasty and the breakfast the next morning was great. Somewhat pricey of a place to stay, based on the price for the valet parking and the food, will probably stay elsewhere next time, but if price is of no concern to you then this place is for you. Within walking distance of lots of shopping, cafes, coffee shops and sights to see.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Halfwhit
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, 6 April 2010
Thanks for the kind words! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the design, décor, food and location appealed to you. We do hope that we get the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2010

Me, my partner, and our friends stayed at the Olive 8 on Good Friday, 2010 to get away, have a relaxing weekend, and catch up on our sleep. Unfortunately, the way we departed left a bad taste in our mouth.

Upon arrival, we discovered valet parking was $39/night. Ouch. We were told to park at the other Hyatt across the street. We were later disappointed to learn that none of this was subsidized by the hotel, unlike our previous night in Bellevue.

The hotel lobby is clean and modern. It could use some warmth, but was very clean and bright. Me and our friends have Platinum status with Hyatt. Unfortunately, this was not recognized by the hotel until we informed them at check-out. The staff was initially friendly and appeared to enjoy working there.

The rooms are nice and spacious. We had a room on an higher floor, away from the street. The rooms were generally quiet, save for the occasional slamming of the doors in the hall. The rooms are "green" friendly, meaning a key is needed to operate the lights. The bathroom lighting is very good and ambient. The showers are "low flow", which is fine by me, but you couldn't adjust the hot shower water spray to be wider.

The Spa was very nice. The staff were very professional, friendly and well trained. The pool was salt water and was quite suited for doing laps. When the sun came out, the light lit up the room brilliantly and was beautiful to be in.

I would recommend the concierge. There was a convention in town, and he made a reservation for a local restaurant. It cut our wait time in half.

Relaxed and exhausted by several hours at the Spa and a night out in Seattle, we were looking forward to a good night's rest. Unfortunately, we got the short straw in our room choice.

We could never get the room temperature to be right at night, despite you being able to set the temperature. It was either too warm or too cold and it was not enjoyable getting up in the night to change it.

Around 7:00am, we were rudely awoken by a loud beeping. We tried to ignore it at first, thinking it would go away. It didn't. Apparently, the fire alarm's batteries hadn't been changed in a while. We informed the front desk. It took 15 minutes of loud beeping until someone came to change the batteries. By that time, it was impossible not to be annoyed by 20 minutes of fire alarm noise (it was an alarm after all). The alarms were right above the bed, so we had to get out of bed and get changed. A loud alarm and a stranger in your room while you are groggy and frustrated - a pleasant start to the day! So much for sleeping in, which is one reason we chose to stay at the hotel, rather than somewhere more hectic.

When we checked out, the front desk did not apologize or was not even aware of the issue, until we mentioned it off hand. After learning of this, they were unconcerned about us. There was an apology, but it was issued with insincere and out of reflex. I felt like they couldn't have cared less.

The onus was also on us to correct our bill. Coffee and pastries was included with our "Earth Day" package. But they charged us, and the onus was on us to try to get it off. Ditto with our internet, which is supposed to be free for Platinum members. It was up to us to make them correct it, which is never enjoyable. And as I said earlier, they didn't even recognize our Hyatt Gold Passport status - Platinum - until check out. I have felt like I have had better experiences being a general member with IHG hotels. (Lest anyone think we are snobby about our status, we are not. We spent time in Starwood hotels frequently, but had signed up for a trial Platinum membership to see what Hyatt had to offer. After this, I am not sure what incentive there is to trying to get it).

Though the hotel had all the ingredients for a good experience, and some of it was (especially the Spa), they will likely need to pay more attention to customer service for us to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank erasmus99
Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay. Needless to say, there is plenty for the team and I to digest. First off, I want to apologize that your platinum status was not recognized; that is a basic and we are very proud of our Gold Passport program and what it offers our most loyal customers, and I am sorry we failed to acknowledge that. Same for your encounters with the items that were included in your package; you are correct, it isn’t enjoyable for you to have to point these things out and for that, I apologize.

As for the smoke detector, we do attempt to service them on a regular basis to avoid a battery change during a guest’s stay, particularly at night for just the reason you mentioned. This will be reviewed with our Engineering team; there is no reason why your sleep should have been disturbed.

Finally, it is important to us that we verify that all of our guests enjoyed their stay, so I was disappointed to hear that there was a lack of compassion or willingness to listen to the challenges you encountered. Rest assured that I have heard you and I welcome the opportunity to discuss with you further should you wish to contact my office. This will also give us the opportunity to investigate the temperature control issue in the particular room you were in.

I am glad that you enjoyed the pool and the spa; we feel Elaia Spa is among the finest in Seattle and I know the staff there will appreciate your kind words. I hope that we have the chance to salvage your opinion of this hotel and Hyatt in general.
Victoria, British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

My wife and I recently spent 6 nights at the Hyatt Olive 8 and we loved it. The location was perfect with great shopping and restaurants close by. Our king room was nicely decorated , spacious and very comfortable. Loved the 37" flat screen tv. The staff were very friendlly and helpful. Give this hotel a try and we think that you will love it!

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Thanks for making the trip down from the Island to visit us! I really appreciate hearing that we did a good job on a guest that was with us for such a long period of time. I liked hearing that you enjoyed the room’s décor and size. Also of note for guests staying for more than a couple of night is that we have refrigerators in all rooms. Handy for those snacks you will need for exploring the city! We hope to see you again soon!
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

I travel to Seattle frequently on business and have stayed at many of the downtown properties -- the Westin, the Sheraton, the Hilton, the Crowne Plaza, both Kimpton properties, etc. But I may have just found a new favorite hotel in downtown Seattle, the Hyatt at Olive 8.

The decor is elegant and calm. The room was spacious and well-appointed. I particularly like the oversized sliding wood-and-frosted-glass doors on the closet and the shower, which give the room a more upscale feel compared to regular doors. The glass-walled walk-in shower was a nice plus, though I personally would have designed it with dual shower heads. The bed was comfortable and the wireless Internet service, while not free, was fast and reliable.

Service at the hotel was excellent. Wake up calls are made by humans rather than machines and come with an optional 10-minute followup call. One morning I accidentally left the phone off the hook after the first call, and the hotel sent someone to knock on my door and make sure I was awake. Now that's customer service.

The gym is spotless and outfitted with plenty of quality equipment including treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, and a complete set of weight stations. The pieces of aerobic equipment all have individual television screens, of course. The Hyatt hotels with condos attached are often known for the quality of their gyms, and this one is no exception. If it just had the stunning view of the fitness center at the Sheraton, it would be perfect. But it was close enough.

For swimmers there's a 65 foot saline lap pool, which was a real treat and something I haven't found at any other downtown property. And there's a complete day spa on the property, which I did not get to sample this trip.

Breakfast at the Urbane was good (my waiter the first morning spoiled me by bringing steamed milk for the coffee), though I'd still trek over to Toulouse Petite on Queen Anne for their pain perdu if I had time.

The only thing that marred my stay at the Hyatt at Olive 8 was a very loud bunch of kids partying in the room next door until the wee hours of the morning. They were loud enough, and the walls thin enough, that I could hear every word. At 1:30 am I finally called down to the front desk. They offered to send hotel security up to quiet the party down, but it took them a good half hour to get someone on the floor.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Bad-Horse
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, 31 March 2010
The title of your review really caught my eye and I really enjoyed hearing your kind words about out hotel. I appreciate such detailed feedback! Glad that you liked the shower design; it is a new concept and while we know it’s not for everyone, we didn’t want this hotel to be like so many others. Happy to hear about the wake-up call, and glad that you enjoyed the gym and pool…from my previous comments you will know that we are very proud of both. I am glad that we got the coffee right….it’s very important in this town and we know there are plenty of options. I was sorry to hear that you were disrupted by other guests…as a General Manager there are few things that upset me more than a guest having their sleep disturbed. I appreciate that you still had kind words for us and hope that we get the chance in the future to provide you with a restful night. It is our goal to change the word 'maybe' in your title to 'definitely'!
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

The hotel was very nice, and the customer service is something for other hotels to aspire to. The king room was spacious, eco-friendly, and clean. My only complaints (minor) are that the walls are quite thin, and you can hear other guests through the bathroom vents. In addition, there's no vent in the bathroom and the elevator is a touch slow once in motion. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends. The hotel is the one thing that I didn't need to worry about while in Seattle.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, 29 March 2010
Thank you so much for the kind words. To hear that our customer service was excellent was one of the most rewarding things a General Manager can hear. Glad that you didn’t have to worry about the hotel on your trip, and we look forward to hosting you again!
CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

From the food to the bed, the place is amazing!
Wonderful massage by Brian, nice spa.
Green, fresh, new!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, 22 March 2010
Excellent! We are so happy to hear you liked it! I thank you for giving Elaia Spa a shot, and glad Brian didn’t disappoint. I will pass along my thanks to him. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Wyoming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

For for Green touted hotel, the only entity that benefits is the hotel. The restricted flow shower made the bathroom experience etremely unpleasent. The low flow tiolet required mulitiple flushings and if you forgot to notify the maid service that you needed clean towels you did without. If there was a financial savings to someone, it wasn't reflected on my bill.

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
We apologize that your stay wasn’t enjoyable. The elements of our hotel that make it sustainable also make it a departure from a normal hotel room. However the shower head and the toilet should operate without a discernable difference from normal fixtures, so my apologies that you didn’t find that to be the case. Our sustainability efforts don’t necessary save money as often the systems cost more to install/operate, but you can rest assured they are saving a lot of electricity and water. Still though, we feel that Hyatt at Olive 8 represents and excellent value in downtown Seattle.