“Same price as a hotel but nothing more than a hostel”
Review of The College Inn

The College Inn
Ranked #94 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Not quaint just tatty and a bit smelly. Ladies bathroom a real schlep from the room. Shower door swings open while you are in there. Toilet door does not reach the floor and key to front door does not work properly. We had to let at least 3 poor souls in who could not get the door lock to work. Don't tell me it is historic as an excuse. I come from England and have stayed in 17th century inns which have lovely rooms,bathrooms and no nasty stains on the ceiling!! Being a period property is no excuse for being grotty

• Stayed: August 2013
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank sam506
christudor, Manager at The College Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you for your comments. We have addressed the front door issue and we would like to assure everyone the issue has been resolved. We are a shared bath facility and I am sorry you were not located closer to the bathrooms. We are investigating your concerns with the shower and bathroom doors. As you can tell by our reviews this experience is not our normal encounter. We welcome you to return to enjoy our usual hospitality.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Became sceptical after reading some of the reviews so I thought I'd tell you my experience over the last couple days.

Firstly it was very convenient for what I had on at the university. It is directly adjacent the western side of the campus (which is a beautiful campus).

Anthony was friendly and helpful when I checked in and whenever I met him, as was the gentleman that checked me out.

Shared bathrooms may not be your thing, that's fine. I don't mind them but I do mind grimy, rank, unclean ones. These were clean and I never had to wait to use them, maybe just lucky.

I found the pub downstairs,dont think it has any connection to the hotel other than being in the same building, excellent. About a dozen local and regional beers on tap. Too many for just the one night.

It's an older building so it has it's creaks and a bit of noise transference but it didn't trouble me much,

So if you don't want to smash the travel budget, you don't find sharing bathrooms, and you're happy to live without a tv, and plonk yourself in a lovely neighbourhood with plenty of food joints and nice sights, the College Inn may be for you.

Thanks guys.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank 8Rainbow23
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed there for 3 days, havent seen a single soul, no reception, no help, not even guests! Comfy place, clean rooms, nice spot but very boring. Went to the bar downstairs, rude bartender. Coffee? Breakfast? No where to be found.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rolling1623
christudor, Owner at The College Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Thank you for your response. I believe you may have checked in after hours. We have a fully staffed reception on our fourth floor. This includes a coffee and tea service from 7 a -11 p. We also serve breakfast on the fourth floor as well from 7 a - 9 a Monday through Friday and 8 a -10 a on Saturday and Sunday. I apologize for the confusion.

Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

A friend booked a group of 8 to us stay here. I rarely write less than stellar reviews but The College Inn left much to be desired. To begin with, we were met by a rude representative at the door who told us the place was sold out. We informed him that we were meeting friends who had checked in. He asked if our friend just expected us to show up without a room number and key. We went to our room, without further talking to the staff member. Our rooms had what appeared to be blood stains on the roof, pics attached. The comforter had a large stain. And all are towels were stained as well. The bathrooms are communal (they market themselves as a European Hostel) but there was only one male shower on the floor, the other was out of order. There was no shampoo available. The location is close to the university. Public transportation from the airport is easy - about an hour and a half. Not close to downtown Seattle. Don't recommend to stay here unless you're drunk, in a pinch, or desperate.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for your experience. I will speak with the person that you met upon your arrival. His reception should be welcoming but informative about our policy to only allow only register guests in our secured building. Our policy is to only allow register guests into rooms when they do not have their keys. Unfortunately, this policy must be adhered to insure guest's safety of possessions. We have all our laundry sent out to a licensed commercial laundry to process. I have taken your comments to them and we are double checking all our linens and terry items. I am sorry you were not aware of our shared bathrooms. We were built in 1909 and the building is a national historic landmark. The building is how it was then. There is shampoo available at the front office as well. I hope you try us again. We are excellent located as you have noted and we would like to have the opportunity to prove to you our normal guest experience.

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for an excellent value a little bit off the beaten path, the College Inn is just the place. It's spotlessly clean and cozy with an Old World feel. The bed was great (one of my top criteria) and the service helpful and friendly. The included continental breakfast and coffee were enough to make a good start to the day.

The University of Washington campus is just a block away and there is a good variety of eateries within easy walking distance. Downtown Seattle is just a 15 minute drive away. There's also excellent bus service nearby.

Because the Inn is a historic building, there is no elevator. The office is on the fourth floor (along with the lounge/breakfast room), so you'll need to climb four flights of stairs at least twice (check in/out). That's the the only concern when considering a stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Lynne A
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My flight into Seattle arrived rather late, and I took a shuttle to the College Inn in the University "U" District in Seattle. I arrived much later than anticipated, but the hotel/hostel staff were so gracious and accommodating. I rang the doorbell at some time after midnight, and the staff person came down to let me in and show me around.

My very single room was compact, but very delightful and clean and had a wonderful big window. I was able to wash up (like in a dorm room, it had a sink/mirror, and the bathroom/shower was down the hall) and sleep (and sleep very well). Next morning, the window afforded me all the early morning enjoyment of the street below, people coming and going. Very urban feel, which I loved tremendously. I showered down the hall, ate a little of their continental breakfast, and headed out the door with my camera. I walked down the street into the heart of the U District and had a fabulous latte, complete with foamy art on top.

The hotel/hostel really seemed to provide the basics in charming, historic building set in a vibrant, active, energetic part of Seattle. I met up with others the next day -- I didn't stay more than one night, but really enjoyed my stay here. (Also - I peeked into some of the larger rooms and thought it would be great to come with family or friends for a longer stay.)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank ceezthday
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

Let's face it from a point of view of a student like me. Before comimg to Seatle I went to California, I paid in average 30 bucks for the rooms, and all of them had private bathroom and the room was nice.

This hotel had only shared bathrooms! I didn't notice that before booking and it was a terrible surprise...

The bathroom is awful, dirty and bad iluminated, just terrible.

The only thing I could say is that, if you need stay close to the university of washingtonand don't want spend much money so this hotel is for you, if not, get out!!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank sgtbreitner
christudor, Manager at The College Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thank you for your posting. I apologize you were not informed to our European style hotel. The hotel was build in 1909 for the world's fair and is a national historic landmark. The building and bathroom's are architectural the same as 1909. However, the bathrooms have been modernize and are very clean. I encourage you to read the other reviews which show the property is charming once you are comfortable with its uniqueness.