“No high expectations at convenient location”
Review of The College Inn

The College Inn
Ranked #93 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Portland, Oregon
“No high expectations at convenient location”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Please have no high expectations of this -so called- European College Inn, and you won't be disappointed. Being from Europe I don't get why this is called 'European' (except maybe for the showers 7 doors down the hall, that we had to share with 15 or so other hall mates). Actually found the "European" reference somewhat offensive. The location was convenient, close to bus lines to downtown and located in the eclectic U-district, walking distance to campus where I was attending a new Husky parent introduction weekend. Staying in this Inn made me feel like I was in college again and living in a student home. My hall mates were quiet luckily (that was different 25 years ago!). Anyway, I think you get the point. I was afraid of getting shocked by turning on the light above the sink, because all wires were exposed. Furniture and the entire atmosphere felt old and tired. Sorry, but probably will find another place to stay next time I visit my Husky.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Berry K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The stay has been nice, pleasant and no frill. Visiting University of Washington, I needed a place near to the school. The college is a short walk to the school and provided a good base to visit places in Seattle.

The room is clean, even though the room was not cleaned on the 1st day. Subsequently, house keeping standard improved. The toilet is clean and the hot water was good. Breakfast was sufficient and pleasant. The street can be noisy as my room was facing the road.

No complaint for the price I paid. Pleasant and if travelling on a budget I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Room facing away from the road may be better.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kelc32
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Not quaint just tatty and a bit smelly. Ladies bathroom a real schlep from the room. Shower door swings open while you are in there. Toilet door does not reach the floor and key to front door does not work properly. We had to let at least 3 poor souls in who could not get the door lock to work. Don't tell me it is historic as an excuse. I come from England and have stayed in 17th century inns which have lovely rooms,bathrooms and no nasty stains on the ceiling!! Being a period property is no excuse for being grotty

• Stayed August 2013
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

3 Thank sam506
christudor, Manager at The College Inn, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for your comments. We have addressed the front door issue and we would like to assure everyone the issue has been resolved. We are a shared bath facility and I am sorry you were not located closer to the bathrooms. We are investigating your concerns with the shower and bathroom doors. As you can tell by our reviews this experience is not our normal encounter. We welcome you to return to enjoy our usual hospitality.

Travellers are raving about these Seattle hotels

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Became sceptical after reading some of the reviews so I thought I'd tell you my experience over the last couple days.

Firstly it was very convenient for what I had on at the university. It is directly adjacent the western side of the campus (which is a beautiful campus).

Anthony was friendly and helpful when I checked in and whenever I met him, as was the gentleman that checked me out.

Shared bathrooms may not be your thing, that's fine. I don't mind them but I do mind grimy, rank, unclean ones. These were clean and I never had to wait to use them, maybe just lucky.

I found the pub downstairs,dont think it has any connection to the hotel other than being in the same building, excellent. About a dozen local and regional beers on tap. Too many for just the one night.

It's an older building so it has it's creaks and a bit of noise transference but it didn't trouble me much,

So if you don't want to smash the travel budget, you don't find sharing bathrooms, and you're happy to live without a tv, and plonk yourself in a lovely neighbourhood with plenty of food joints and nice sights, the College Inn may be for you.

Thanks guys.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank 8Rainbow23
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed there for 3 days, havent seen a single soul, no reception, no help, not even guests! Comfy place, clean rooms, nice spot but very boring. Went to the bar downstairs, rude bartender. Coffee? Breakfast? No where to be found.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rolling1623
christudor, Owner at The College Inn, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you for your response. I believe you may have checked in after hours. We have a fully staffed reception on our fourth floor. This includes a coffee and tea service from 7 a -11 p. We also serve breakfast on the fourth floor as well from 7 a - 9 a Monday through Friday and 8 a -10 a on Saturday and Sunday. I apologize for the confusion.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

A friend booked a group of 8 to us stay here. I rarely write less than stellar reviews but The College Inn left much to be desired. To begin with, we were met by a rude representative at the door who told us the place was sold out. We informed him that we were meeting friends who had checked in. He asked if our friend just expected us to show up without a room number and key. We went to our room, without further talking to the staff member. Our rooms had what appeared to be blood stains on the roof, pics attached. The comforter had a large stain. And all are towels were stained as well. The bathrooms are communal (they market themselves as a European Hostel) but there was only one male shower on the floor, the other was out of order. There was no shampoo available. The location is close to the university. Public transportation from the airport is easy - about an hour and a half. Not close to downtown Seattle. Don't recommend to stay here unless you're drunk, in a pinch, or desperate.

• Stayed June 2013
christudor, Owner at The College Inn, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for your experience. I will speak with the person that you met upon your arrival. His reception should be welcoming but informative about our policy to only allow only register guests in our secured building. Our policy is to only allow register guests into rooms when they do not have their keys. Unfortunately, this policy must be adhered to insure guest's safety of possessions. We have all our laundry sent out to a licensed commercial laundry to process. I have taken your comments to them and we are double checking all our linens and terry items. I am sorry you were not aware of our shared bathrooms. We were built in 1909 and the building is a national historic landmark. The building is how it was then. There is shampoo available at the front office as well. I hope you try us again. We are excellent located as you have noted and we would like to have the opportunity to prove to you our normal guest experience.
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for an excellent value a little bit off the beaten path, the College Inn is just the place. It's spotlessly clean and cozy with an Old World feel. The bed was great (one of my top criteria) and the service helpful and friendly. The included continental breakfast and coffee were enough to make a good start to the day.

The University of Washington campus is just a block away and there is a good variety of eateries within easy walking distance. Downtown Seattle is just a 15 minute drive away. There's also excellent bus service nearby.

Because the Inn is a historic building, there is no elevator. The office is on the fourth floor (along with the lounge/breakfast room), so you'll need to climb four flights of stairs at least twice (check in/out). That's the the only concern when considering a stay.

• Stayed June 2013