“The worst place I have ever stayed in. Doesn't deserve 1 star.”
Review of The College Inn

The College Inn
Ranked #93 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 28 May 2006

No personal bathroom!!! Had to share a bathroom with the entire floor. Ugly bathroom at that.
The room are SMALL with no TV.
No AC but a fan in the window.
Beds are horrible and unconfortable.
You get one LITTLE sink with a small mirror made for hobbits.
Can't use the towels because they conserve water and don't wash them.
Our window was right over a dumpster with pub downstairs. Had to listen to partiers until 3 in the morning. (bottles clanging in the dumpster all night every night)
We had pay for parking to park on campus.
Had to wake up one morning and move my car at 6am so I wouldn't get a ticket.
The breakfast is good if you like to kneel to move around.
The public internet is good when it isn't unplugged by the hotel personel to get access in their own room.
The room looked nothing like the pictures with the view of seattle.
I recommend a reconized hotel chain. I never knew stuff like this existed in America.
Don't do it. I really wish I would have stayed in Bellvue or major chain.

The only plus is that you are close to Seattle and there is a cool street on campus interesting shops.

• Stayed: September 2004
4  Thank acehole
There are newer reviews for The College Inn

Reviewed 14 December 2005

I stayed here with a friend of mine and found this place to be truly awesome. Our flight got in late so the inn keeper just gave us the keys and took us to our room. Our room was small and quaint. Nothing fancy but I wasn't expecting that.

The next morning I wondered upstairs where there was a continental breakfast spread with lots of treats. Also, there was a computer room and a great little section for tourists, maps, bus schedules, etc.

The people were nice, the place was clean and I would highly recommend this place to others...

Not your everyday hotel... and definitely very european with the set up of the place.

• Stayed: July 2004
8  Thank ejvigil
Portland
Reviewed 1 December 2005

The staff and location of this hotel is great. Very reasonably priced and friendly staff. Beware of the stairs though.

Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2004

I thought this would be a great place to stay becauase the price is right. It looked like a really cute place to stay from the outside.
Initially I thought great and I thougth the people were friendly. When she placed me in the small dorm like room, I thought fine. The first thing I noticed was there was no nob on the heater and no working phone. Luckily I had my cell. I didnt mind at first because she would give me the room for 40.00 because the phone didnt work. I thought well this is a good deal. I then found out we had an upexpected not paying guest who was sleeping and eating in the house. I felt unsafe. They delt with that issue and I commend them for that. They gave me another room on the second floor above the bar and I felt safer the next night.
But my room cost more because it had two beds but I didnt ask for this room. Also, this building is a non smoking building , but that has nothing to do with the fact that the smoke from the bar downstairs leaks into this room and I dont know about other rooms. I felt sick in the am the next two days. When I approached her about this , she didnt want to accomodate me. I moved again to the third floor after two nights in that room because she needed the room for someone else. This new room on the third floor had one double bed so I moved all my stuff again to the third floor. Now I just wanted a little holiday in Seattle. The room on the third floor was 313. It too had problems because it was so noisy. Outside the room was a some type of fan which was so loud. It was so difficult to sleep. One good thing about this place was the continental breakfast although you have to walk a one or two flights of stairs depends on which floor you stay on. I enjoyed the fruit, toast, bagels, and cream cheese breakfast. Thanks for that.

7  Thank Vera G
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 30 September 2003

I called the College Inn approximately 2 1/2 months in advance to make my reservation. The College Inn is advertised on the University of Washington orientation brochure. Although it is the least expensive listed hotel, I had no reason to believe my stay would be problematic.
I did not look up the website on-line, instead I called for reservations. I also called again to check the reservation. I arrived from the east coast to Seattle on a Sunday and drove to the College Inn. After walking up one horrendous flight of stairs, with more to follow, because the office is on the top floor of the establishment, I found that my son had arrived first and checked in. I was horrified to find out that the management's idea of not being able to accomodate anyone with disabilities meant if you can't climb 4 flights of stairs, maybe you shouldn't stay there. That fact isn't mentioned on the brochure or on the website, I did check the websites after the fact and vital information is omitted. I had requested a room with 2 beds as my son and I were together. The room was over the pub. The furnishing, in I think room 303,lacked any charm and looked like the set of a bad movie. I immediately went to the management and requested another room.
A peek into the open rooms on my walk to the fourth floor office established the fact that much nicer rooms existed. The desk person upon my request told me that he had nothing available other than a double. Now I made these reservation well in advance of my stay. Of course a double was unacceptable as I wasn't sleeping in the same bed as my grown son. The desk person stated that no other accomodation could be made. I went back to the room very upset. Due to the packed schedule we had for the next two days, I could not find another place; however, on Wednesday morning I did find another hotel and went to check out. I was told by the manager that I would be charged a 48 hour cancellation fee and I should understand that he was loosing money by me leaving the hotel early. I couldn't believe the man's audacity and I told him I wasn't paying the fee. He told me that I was told when I originally made the reservation. I told him I had no record of that in my notes. He insisted he told me, basically called me a liar and then he expressed that for me to leave was screwing him out of money. The fur flew then. I told him I would pay in cash for the time I was there and not to charge my account. He took my money and gave me a receipt.
When I left the building I looked again at the receipt and realized that he was charging me the 48 hour cancellation fee and that he had an amount due on the receipt. I called him from the street, so I could re-enter the building and walked up the 4 flights of stairs. I found that he had charged my credit card and had no intention of giving me a receipt. I requested a receipt. I also brought to his attention that there is no written policy stating anything about a cancellation fee.
Also when I arrived and asked for another room and he could not accomodate me, he was effectively on notice that I was completely dissatisfied with the room. I have contacted the Chamber of Commerce, the College Inn is not a member. I talked with the University office that publicizes the orientation brochure, and they were very concerned about the treatment I had received. And I will follow up with letters to the Better Business Bureau. The College Inn failed to inform me of its limitations, failed to give me a decent room and charged me a cancellation fee after failing to accomodate my request when I made the reservation and when I requested another room. I was called a liar and accused of screwing them over. I would not recommend the facility to anyone. There must be nicer bed and breakfast closer to the University of Washington.

27  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 September 2003

I've stayed at the College Inn Guest House more than a dozen times in the past fifteen years and always enjoyed myself. Yes, the rooms are spartan, but they have an old fashioned charm with their soft colors, antique furniture and big window seats looking out down the "Ave." The shared bathrooms are spotless, feature two showers and toilets each and I have never had to wait. There are sinks in each room which helps a lot. The best feature of the guest house is the fabulous location which puts you in the middle of the University scene and within a few steps of bus service to downtown or Wallingford. Also outstanding is the big continental breakfast and beverage service all day. Beware, there are many stairs here and no elevator, but for the young at heart, it's a real bargain.

• Stayed: November 2004
6  Thank rainbirdreader
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 29 May 2003

The College Inn was everything I'd been told it would be - clean, comfortable, surrounded by great places to visit (bars) and full of fantastic people - loved it!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member