“OK with a nest of qualifiers.”
Review of The College Inn

The College Inn
Ranked #93 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 8 October 2006

We chose this hotel after comparing the prices for two to stay in a hostel. Money-wise, it came out as a wash staying at the College Inn, with the advantage of having a private room for my partner and me. The disadvantage being the location of the Inn—we were traveling as tourists, not students or parents of students of the college next door.

The room was noisy from street traffic (we had room 208, street facing, second floor, so we were neither over the restaurant nor the bar, nor—and, important fact here—the high rise construction on the back end of the hotel.). There was a 1” gap under our door that was a little disconcerting.

The front lobby and the stairway had carpet that was well worn and with some interesting stains; the check in area and the breakfast area are in the attic area on the fourth floor—more than a little challenge for our out of shape bones to hike up to.

The bathroom is communal and has all the charm of an old dorm communal bathroom—one toilet stall, a urinal and two glass fronted showers. They were very clean if worn.

Keep in mind that this is next to the college and all that it entails regarding parking. I ended up parking in one place, and wisely moving the car late that evening to something that was away from the construction but nonetheless required getting up to feed the meter at 8 a.m.

Food in the area was not bad, though college oriented--cheap and filling, the cuisine leaning into Thai, pizza and hamburgers for the most part.

Probably the most important question: Would we stay there again? Lordy, I hope not, but if you need a cheap room in a safe area and can swing with the issues that I have mentioned, it is a very acceptable place. The hotels in Seattle, as you probably know if you are considering the College Inn, are more than a little spendy. There are hostels in more tourist oriented spots that might overall be a better choice. I know there is the Green Tortoise that is right across from the Pike Place Market, for instance, which even with dorm rooms, would have been a better choice considering our budget.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank bbmcds
There are newer reviews for The College Inn

Reviewed 16 July 2006

We booked a room at this 'bed and breakfast' for our STP (Seattle to Portland) bike ride.

If you want:

- No sleep due to the pub downstairs (open until 2ish)
- A bathroom down the hall
- Dirty floors that make you want to wear socks/shoes the entire time
- To ring a bell to get in (with certain hours that you can actually get in)
- Dirty bedding, old/worn towels
- A very non-accommodating staff

Then choose this place.

More: we paid $100 for a room. We were told that breakfast was included. The hotel was 1/2 occupied by STP riders. We asked what time breakfast was available: 8:00 a.m. We asked if there was any way to get breakfast earlier because most riders leave by 6 or 7 a.m. We were told that "I work 80 hours a week, and don't really want to get up that early."

You have to carry your bike up stairs to your room, the rooms are TINY, no A/C. Their toiletries consist of antiquated little soaps.

If you are a partier who wants to stay near the campus, just need a place to lay your head and have a $100 to waste, stay here. Personally, I would stay in a tent before this place.

Hope this helps.

Kassie Atkinson
Oregon

Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank aaronsassie
Reviewed 2 July 2006

The College Inn allowed us to remember the simple things in life bring great happiness. We travel from coast to coast staying in large hotel chains and spending excessive dollars on decorations and marble floors that we can't take with us. The College Inn is a quaint little bed and breakfast on the corner with a cool view. The beds squeak, but we rested well. The furniture is not new, but it held our belongings. The breakfast was not grand, but it kept the grumbles away until lunch. No one banged on our door yelling, "Housekeeping!" There is no smoking so you don't smell the second hand smoke from the smoking floor/hall. Most of all, it is clean. The Inn keeper, Chris, is always hustling about making everyone feel comfortable. Remember what really matters when you travel. Sometimes keeping it simple makes life more enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank Anne L
Reviewed 28 May 2006

No personal bathroom!!! Had to share a bathroom with the entire floor. Ugly bathroom at that.
The room are SMALL with no TV.
No AC but a fan in the window.
Beds are horrible and unconfortable.
You get one LITTLE sink with a small mirror made for hobbits.
Can't use the towels because they conserve water and don't wash them.
Our window was right over a dumpster with pub downstairs. Had to listen to partiers until 3 in the morning. (bottles clanging in the dumpster all night every night)
We had pay for parking to park on campus.
Had to wake up one morning and move my car at 6am so I wouldn't get a ticket.
The breakfast is good if you like to kneel to move around.
The public internet is good when it isn't unplugged by the hotel personel to get access in their own room.
The room looked nothing like the pictures with the view of seattle.
I recommend a reconized hotel chain. I never knew stuff like this existed in America.
Don't do it. I really wish I would have stayed in Bellvue or major chain.

The only plus is that you are close to Seattle and there is a cool street on campus interesting shops.

• Stayed: September 2004
4  Thank acehole
Reviewed 14 December 2005

I stayed here with a friend of mine and found this place to be truly awesome. Our flight got in late so the inn keeper just gave us the keys and took us to our room. Our room was small and quaint. Nothing fancy but I wasn't expecting that.

The next morning I wondered upstairs where there was a continental breakfast spread with lots of treats. Also, there was a computer room and a great little section for tourists, maps, bus schedules, etc.

The people were nice, the place was clean and I would highly recommend this place to others...

Not your everyday hotel... and definitely very european with the set up of the place.

• Stayed: July 2004
8  Thank ejvigil
A TripAdvisor Member
Portland
Reviewed 1 December 2005

The staff and location of this hotel is great. Very reasonably priced and friendly staff. Beware of the stairs though.

Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2004

I thought this would be a great place to stay becauase the price is right. It looked like a really cute place to stay from the outside.
Initially I thought great and I thougth the people were friendly. When she placed me in the small dorm like room, I thought fine. The first thing I noticed was there was no nob on the heater and no working phone. Luckily I had my cell. I didnt mind at first because she would give me the room for 40.00 because the phone didnt work. I thought well this is a good deal. I then found out we had an upexpected not paying guest who was sleeping and eating in the house. I felt unsafe. They delt with that issue and I commend them for that. They gave me another room on the second floor above the bar and I felt safer the next night.
But my room cost more because it had two beds but I didnt ask for this room. Also, this building is a non smoking building , but that has nothing to do with the fact that the smoke from the bar downstairs leaks into this room and I dont know about other rooms. I felt sick in the am the next two days. When I approached her about this , she didnt want to accomodate me. I moved again to the third floor after two nights in that room because she needed the room for someone else. This new room on the third floor had one double bed so I moved all my stuff again to the third floor. Now I just wanted a little holiday in Seattle. The room on the third floor was 313. It too had problems because it was so noisy. Outside the room was a some type of fan which was so loud. It was so difficult to sleep. One good thing about this place was the continental breakfast although you have to walk a one or two flights of stairs depends on which floor you stay on. I enjoyed the fruit, toast, bagels, and cream cheese breakfast. Thanks for that.

7  Thank Vera G