“Loved this place!”

Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center
Ranked #66 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 26 November 2011

What a great time we had while staying at this motel. The location to the Space Needle was unbeatable, only about 4 blocks away, although have to walk up the street before heading over-no crossover for the road. From there, caught the monorail to mall downtown, and walked to the pier, aquarium, Pike's Place Market, and water front. It is a good walk from the mall to the water front, so be prepared for that, but definitely not a death march. The motel has a very nice pool, good parking area, but spaces are small (no real suprise there). The only downside of this motel would be lack of places to eat nearby. Rooms were very wel appointed and comfortable, very nice lobby, and the breakfast was excellent every morning. The menu changed everyday, so nothing got tiresome to eat, good sized room, only at peak of rush was it hard to find a table.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 November 2011

If this was the express hotel i can't even imagine what the regular hotel looks like. We were greeted by Terra at the front desk when we arrived off the clipper. She was so friendly, there was a bit of a line up when we arrived but she greeted us soon as we walked into the lobby so we didn't mind waiting at all. Terra was so helpful on telling us things to do in Seattle and answering all our question about the city. They are lucky to have such an attentive and knowledgeable desk clerk if you can't tell all ready she really made our stay special.

The room was amazing we had a view of the mountains and the space needle. It was little noisy but not to bad, so as other travelers have said if you want quite go for the back of the hotel. The room was just spotless, one of the cleanest i have seen.

Location i thought was great it was close to the space needle, EMP and science fiction museum and the duck ride. By the space needle you will find the mono rail that gets you downtown in like 5 minutes for $2.25 then it's a 10 minute walk to Pike place market.

I've been to Seattle in the past and stayed at a different hotel but I will be back to the Holiday Inn for sure next time I’m in Seattle.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel if you want quite, or the front if you want the views and a little street noise
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2011

Thank you for your kind words regarding your experience with us and with Terra in particular. I will be sure to share this with her. We look forward to having you back!

hambrick@hcbmi.com

Reviewed 22 November 2011

There was a Microsoft convention the week I stayed there, but usually this hotel averages $150-$160 per night after the $10 parking fee. That is high for just an average HIE that is not very new. The location is good, but there are not many amenities or restaurants within walking distance. The hotel is loud because the rooms do not have double windows. I brought my ear plugs, so I was able to take care of the noise issue for about $.99. I stayed in the 6th floor (highest level), so the rooms had very tall ceilings; therefore, it took forever to heat the room. I was so cold that the first two nights I had to sleep with my jacket on. I finally requested double blankets to the Latino mades. They were super nice, and they are really the only reason why I would consider coming back to this hotel. If you are driving an SUV you will have a hard time parking since the space is so so tight. Overall an almost below average hotel that is overpriced.

• Stayed: November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding our hotel, and I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate your needs adequately. Even the best of teams can sometimes drop the ball, and it appears that this is what occurred during your stay. I appreciate your kind words regarding our housekeepers, and I sincerely apologize for the room being cold. As the weather turns colder, we have our housekeepers keep the heat on in the rooms so that they are already comfortable when you arrive. It sounds like we did not do this early enough this season which made for an uncomfortable couple of nights. Please be assured that this has been addressed.

I would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns and see if I can possibly win you back. If not, I understand and hope that you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express hotels during your travels. Please feel free to contact me directly at hambrick@hcbmi.com.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

The hotel was fair. It was were close to the space needle. If traveling on aurora ave, it is quite hard to get to

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The front of this hotel offers very good views of the space needle which is about 10 mins walk away, from the needle access to the rest of the city is fairly easy using the monorail and free bus service.

Rooms are very spacious and our rooms had the added bonus of a jacuzzi. However rooms with a view of the needle front onto a very busy, noisy road, so if this is a problem for you, you will have to sacrifce the view and ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

This hotel backs onto a Holiday Inn which has the nearest restaurant to the express, however the menu in this restaurant is very limited.

Internet is free.

Parking is charged at $10 per night, a room card is required to access the parking so check in first.

The breakfast is standard holiday inn express fare, but the breakfast room gets very crowded.

Room Tip: Front rooms have the views, the rear rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Gandrewz
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Located close to the Space Needle & MusicExperience with the monorail station in there.
Unfortunately the smallish room was located next door to a TV Station which had a helipad on it's roof. Not good being woken @ around 5.00 am with a chopper warming up for take off!
Hotel breakfast included,but when in rest.informed only for a limit of $20 value; for 3 people no less!
Hotel on Dexter St side is looking old and run down. I think some sort of refurbishment is underway thou.
I doubt if I would choose this HI again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding our hotel and our sister hotel Holiday Inn Seattle. The Holiday Inn is currently undergoing renovation and should be completed by the end of the year. Their restaurant, the Emerald Grill, has already completed its renovation and is absolutely beautiful. They have a great menu and talented cooks, so there is definitely something for everyone to enjoy.

Our hotel offers the full, hot, buffet breakfast with many options ranging from biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs to cheese omelets and sausage or bacon! We also have hot pancakes and a variety of breads and muffins. We do not put a dollar limit our guests for breakfast, as it is an all-you-can-eat style of buffet.

Both of our hotels are located in an area teeming with activity and the hustle and bustle of city life. But that is what makes staying in Seattle so exciting. If the news chopper is a bit much, however, we have rooms farther away from that end of the building.

I am sure I speak for the General Manager at Holiday Inn when I say please let us know if there is anything we can do during your stay to make you more comfortable. We both strive to provide a warm, friendly environment for a memorable visit to our city, and we would love to have you back. Contact either of us directly and we will do our utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2011

First of all, online the website says there is 1 hotel at this address. Once you enter the area, it seems there is only 1 property, but there are 2. The second being a standard Holiday Inn. The parking garage is a nightmare, located under each respective building, 1 is locked (holiday inn express), the second is open (holiday inn). They are separated by about 30 foot alley way. If you have the unlucky assignment of entering a garage on accident, due to pushy traffic behind, or no parking spots then you are really hosed. You have to drive backwards (in the HIE) parking garage lot up a huge incline, hoping not to have an auto swing around the sharp wall.

The bar "the emerald" seemed okay, except it was happy hour and beers were still 4 bucks a pull. Not exactly a happy price...thanks but no thanks. I'll happily pay an extra buck or two and be where the crowds are more happening.

I eventually stayed at the HIE property, the room was dreary, the view was an alley with the possibility of looking into a HI room (how exciting). The bathroom was really cramped. The TV was new flat screen (32 or 37 inch), which alone added a bubble point above.

Will I come back, umm.. no. Given I still dropped with taxes over 140 bucks on a weekday, I'd drop an additional 50 to stay somewhere nice, with a view and close to the piers.

I did not have the free breakfast, upon review the room looked way cramped for the number served. And after eating multiple HIE breakfasts, I couldn't bare to fight for a free piece of toast.

How would I improve?

1. New Carpets
2. New Lobby
3. New Beds
4. Upgrade HVAC
5. Give an option to have a alley view or not.
6. New Elevators (really old looking used here)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for letting us know of your concerns. It is important for me to know when we have guests who have had a less than satisfactory experience, and I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to give you a different impression of our hotel.

As we begin to see rooms that may be showing signs of wear, we address them as quickly as possible. Most of our rooms now have new mattresses, new carpet, new wall vinyl, and as you mentioned, flat screen LCD TVs. In addition, we offer many room types that have a great view of the Space Needle from the standard kings to our largest two bed two room suite.

We do have a rather big challenge with our parking situation, to be sure. In order to help reduce the congestion and accommodate more vehicles, we offer parking at our overflow lot at a reduced rate. During our peak season, we can definitely be quite a bustling area, and with our limited on-site parking I can understand how frustrating it can be especially being unfamiliar with our location. I will try to do a better job of providing direction in this area.

I would love to be able to speak with you further about your experience and to see what I can do to have you give us another try. Please feel free to contact me directly at hambrick@hcbmi.com or just call the hotel and ask for me.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.