“Great location, Clean Rooms, Front Desk Lacking at Check In”

Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center
Ranked #68 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Vallejo, California
“Great location, Clean Rooms, Front Desk Lacking at Check In”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This Holiday Inn is in a fantastic location! You can easily walk to all that Seattle has to offer even though it is slightly off of the beaten path. The rooms are extremely generous in size and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast offered many choices and the area was very clean.

My major disappointment was in my greeting and subsequent service by the woman working the frnt desk upon check-in. Front desk staff set the tone for your visit. Not only did the associate badger me about my employer, she added GUEST REFUSES TO STATE THE NAME OF HER COMPANY in capital letters on my folio. Never at any time was I acknowledged as a Priority Gold Club member either which should have been her priority not my employer.

I did not want to share the information, and it is unprofessional to have included that on my statement. Instead of a quick check out, I had to stand in line to have in removed from my bill. The associate on duty at that time was very polite, apologetic, and helpful.

In addition, when I check in I asked for directions to Pikes Market. I only had one night in Seattle and really wanted to see it. She told me not to bother as the market was closing up. When I further inquired about directions she said leave the hotel and walk south. Really?

Ultimately, I did find my way to the water front after a series of wrong turns. I went on the Great Wheel and it was absolutely fantastic! The sun was getting ready to set and the views were phenomenal. While on the wheel I did view Pike's Market though!!!

I decided to make my way up there at that time and the market was closing down then. The flower vendors were still there selling dahlias for $5.00 per bunch. If I had gone to Pike's Market first with directions, indeed I would have been able to see more than packing up.

It doesn't so much matter because I am sure that Seattle will be a city that I visit again. I just loved it! It is just unfortunate that someone who considers it an effort to genuinely help people would be on the front line. While I will continue to stay at Holiday Inn's it is not likely that I would stay at this hotel again. The key to a memorable hotel visit all boils down to customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bonjour28
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
First, let me apologize for the extremely poor first impression of our service. This is clearly not an example of the level of guest service we strive to maintain with each of our valued guests, and I am sorry that this happened with you.

Second, please be assured that I have addressed this issue specifically with the agent who checked you in. I take feedback such as yours very seriously, and use your comments to coach and council my staff, in general. We are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but we try hard to provide the type of service our guests want to share with others in a positive way. This is a setback that we will overcome.

Finally, I want to thank you for sharing your experience. It is unfortunate that reading about your experience on TripAdvisor is the way I became aware of your check in ordeal. But because you took the time to offer feedback, I now know where to focus my attention and counseling efforts.

If you wish to discuss this or any other matter further, please contact me directly. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to make this right with you. We would love to have you return on your next trip to Seattle.

Darcy Hambrick
hambrick@hcbmi.com
206-674-6262 (Direct)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Livermore, California
Reviewed 29 September 2012

if you are traveling with large luggage not easily walkable from the space needle.We had to ask directions twice.The map at the space needle is not accurate per a police officer who happened to be there when we were looking at it.The second time we asked for info we were informed a highway makes mapquest directions unwalkable.The hotel was O.K. but we had a view of the hotel next door outside our window.The staff were helpful with directions and calling a cab for us.It was clean and comfortable.

1 Thank Kathy2659
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The location of this hotel is awesome! We were a 10 minute walk, the long way, to the Needle, and around 15 minutes from the Pike Market. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only negative of the experience was no hot water the last day we were there. Let's just say it was a chilly shower :) I realize that is out of the hotel staff's ability to control, and they had someone working on it right away.

Room Tip: 5th Floor - Aurora Ave side :)
1 Thank Compsolut
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This was our first stay here as part of a King Tut package on the Victoria Clipper. We were very comfortable here and were pleased with the location close to the Pacific Science Centre where the King Tut exhibit is held. The complementary breakfast was better than expected with plenty of seating for guests. This is a new hotel and sets a new standard for the Holiday Inn chain. Access to Downtown is easy via the mono rail from the Pacific Science Centre or an easy walk of 15 minutes.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank fishnguy
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 16 September 2012

If you are visiting Seattle for a short trip, Holiday Inn Express is a place you should consider. Although I was using Rewards Points, it is reasonably priced at around $130/night for the assured cleanliness, and awesome location (a complimentary breakfast to boot). It is a few blocks away from City Centre, where you will find the Space Needle, Dale Chilhuly glass exhibit among a few other attractions. We ate lunch at the 5 Points Cafe (on the way to Seattle City centre) from which you can see a statue of Chief Seattle just a few feet away from the patio. Yellow Cabs (and other cab companies) are all over the place- they know the location of this hotel, and it is about $10-$11 for a cab ride to either the Mariners or Seahawks parks. Maybe $7 or $8 to Pike's Place Market. $40 to the airport (although a raised drawbridge can make it $50+). Overall, we had a great trip to Seattle and if I ever came back, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Aurora Ave.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank parasols2
Missouri
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We came to Seattle for a cruise and we ended up getting into a situation where we had to cancel. The staff here is very helpful. The men at the front desk and the security guard were very kind to us. They're very helpful and they make you feel very welcome to be here. The rooms are very clean and it is in the BEST location. Holiday Inn Seattle is very beautiful and the rooms are quite spacious. We will definitely return here and I would recommend everyone to stay here. We thank you for the hospitality you have shown us this week. Thank you so much!

Amy & Matthew
(Room 212)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AD0416
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here after switching from an AWFUL hotel a few miles away, and the staff was so friendly! We had a last minute reservation due to unforeseen circumstances but they really went the extra mile to accommodate us. We had our choice of room, floor, and even check out time! They ended up saving us a ton of money on cab fare by recommending a cab service into the city that was MUCH cheaper. It was very clean and the bed was super comfy! We had food delivered to the room at night from a local carryout restaurant, and in the morning we went downstairs for breakfast... they have a pancake machine! And coffee, eggs, fruit, muffins, even biscuits and sausage gravy! TOTALLY worth the $109 we paid! The free shuttle to and from the airport runs pretty consistently, and they came pretty quick when we called for a ride. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Request close to the elevator or you'll be walking a long way!
2 Thank Jennybean813