“Pleasant”

Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center
Ranked #66 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

First time to Washington - stayed 2 nights with bf.
The hotel is in a good location, close to The Space Needle and monorail which will take you right into the centre of town, otherwise the walk in to town will take about half an hour.
The rooms were clean, staff friendly and helpful, and breakfast was the best continental breakfast I've had in The States.
The Internet was fine, so I disagree with some of the reviews in regards to that. I brought my own laptop, and needed their Ethernet cable for the 2 nights which they didn't charge us for, as long as you return it at the end of your stay.
Would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed: November 2012
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to share your comments! I hope you get the chance to come back to Washington to experience more of what we have to offer like our summer festivals Seafair and Bumbershoot! I look forward to hosting you again!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stay at the City Center HIE for every Seahawks home game. We are always greeted by the Friendly Staff, who are also very helpful in answering all our questions. Parking is safe and secure. Shuttle service to games is reasonable and convenient. Hotel is neat and clean. Rooms and service are Excellent. Prices are little bit on the high side unless you book through Hotels.com....watch site for sales. We will continue to book this hotel everytime we travel to Seattle.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

We love our regulars! Thank you for continuing to choose our hotel! We all greatly appreciate your loyalty and the time you took to spread the word about why you keep coming back. We look forward to seeing you again!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Besides the high prices, they initially put us in a room different from that which we reserved. Even the 'correct' room didn't match the online photos and description. The in-room jacuzzi was so tall that my wife couldn't make it over the edge to use it. The drain on the jacuzzi leaked so fast that I couldn't use it anyway. The fold out sofa bed was unbearable and dangerous; it kept folding up and bending. The room was noisy and we could smell people smoking. And this was their 'best room'!

The complementary breakfast was nice. The staff were polite and tried to help.

Room Tip: Be careful that the room they show online may not match what you get. The front room as noise becaus...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephen F
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for falling short of your expectations. Please be assured that your feedback is important to me and I will use it to provide further training to my staff. If there is anything I can do to make it right with you and get you to come back to give us another chance, please let me know. We have several upgraded room types that you might find more suitable to your needs. Feel free to contact me directly to address this or any other concerns you may have.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

This was our first time in Washington so did not know what to expect. The hotel was awkwardly placed in town and we had to circle a couple of blocks just to work out the entrance and exit to the place. The rooms were clean and tidy. The bed was nice and the breakfast was the typical Holiday inn express fare, which is ok if your not expecting more. The staff were very helpful and friendly and were able to organise for a shuttle to the baseball stadium at a great price.

Room Tip: Check for road closures first as this hotel is off a main thoroughfare and awkward to get to.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is a nice clean centrally located hotel. They have a great free breakfast and the cinnamon rolls are wonderful. The front desk clerks were fine but housekeeping was a disaster. We are seniors and came back at 3:30 to rest up before going back out to dinner. Room was not made up. She woke us up at 4:00 to do the room. This happened twice. Also the claim of free internet is true if you can do anything at dial up speed. They have a maximum of 2 bars and frequently only 1 and it was a case of just forget it. I finally got an ethernet cable which is charged at $8 per day. It was ridiculous. Will not stay there again..

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Normally I don't write reviews for hotels but figured that this one was worth my time. The hotel was easy to find with our smart phone navigation. We arrived at 11:30 am but was told that we could not check in until 3pm. We were able to leave our car parked in the their lot and we walked to the monorail that was located 10 minutes away from the hotel. To my surprise, I was given an upgraded room with the view of the Space Needle. Our room was facing the highway, but I couldn't hear the cars at all. This hotel also provided a free breakfast which I thought was great. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SLP46
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This Holiday Inn is in a fantastic location! You can easily walk to all that Seattle has to offer even though it is slightly off of the beaten path. The rooms are extremely generous in size and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast offered many choices and the area was very clean.

My major disappointment was in my greeting and subsequent service by the woman working the frnt desk upon check-in. Front desk staff set the tone for your visit. Not only did the associate badger me about my employer, she added GUEST REFUSES TO STATE THE NAME OF HER COMPANY in capital letters on my folio. Never at any time was I acknowledged as a Priority Gold Club member either which should have been her priority not my employer.

I did not want to share the information, and it is unprofessional to have included that on my statement. Instead of a quick check out, I had to stand in line to have in removed from my bill. The associate on duty at that time was very polite, apologetic, and helpful.

In addition, when I check in I asked for directions to Pikes Market. I only had one night in Seattle and really wanted to see it. She told me not to bother as the market was closing up. When I further inquired about directions she said leave the hotel and walk south. Really?

Ultimately, I did find my way to the water front after a series of wrong turns. I went on the Great Wheel and it was absolutely fantastic! The sun was getting ready to set and the views were phenomenal. While on the wheel I did view Pike's Market though!!!

I decided to make my way up there at that time and the market was closing down then. The flower vendors were still there selling dahlias for $5.00 per bunch. If I had gone to Pike's Market first with directions, indeed I would have been able to see more than packing up.

It doesn't so much matter because I am sure that Seattle will be a city that I visit again. I just loved it! It is just unfortunate that someone who considers it an effort to genuinely help people would be on the front line. While I will continue to stay at Holiday Inn's it is not likely that I would stay at this hotel again. The key to a memorable hotel visit all boils down to customer service.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bonjour28
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

First, let me apologize for the extremely poor first impression of our service. This is clearly not an example of the level of guest service we strive to maintain with each of our valued guests, and I am sorry that this happened with you.

Second, please be assured that I have addressed this issue specifically with the agent who checked you in. I take feedback such as yours very seriously, and use your comments to coach and council my staff, in general. We are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but we try hard to provide the type of service our guests want to share with others in a positive way. This is a setback that we will overcome.

Finally, I want to thank you for sharing your experience. It is unfortunate that reading about your experience on TripAdvisor is the way I became aware of your check in ordeal. But because you took the time to offer feedback, I now know where to focus my attention and counseling efforts.

If you wish to discuss this or any other matter further, please contact me directly. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to make this right with you. We would love to have you return on your next trip to Seattle.

hambrick@hcbmi.com