“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #67 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
North Vancouver
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We arrived in Seattle around 1pm and the front desk checked us in long before the check in time, which was nice. The room was very good. Had a descent sized washroom and the beds were really nice. The T.V had some really good channels and some were in HD. The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The food had at a good price and tasted very good. Our waiter Ani was very nice to us. Over all the surrounding area was a bit on the "Shady" side of town. But of your looking for a good price I really recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel and at the Emerald Grill! Thank you, too, for taking the time to mention Ami as having provided great service. I will be sure to share your comements with her. I hope you will visit us again! Our room updates are well underway, so you will have to come see the improvements!

Happy Travels!
Darcy Hambrick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oregon
Reviewed 4 March 2013

This hotel is comfortable, clean and close to walk to the space needle and downtown. the service was friendly and helpful! The beds were pretty good and the rooms were very clean! The parking is very tight although a good deal at $10 a night!

Room Tip: They do have spa tubs in some of the rooms!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Thank you for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and I hope we see you again! Our room upgrades have begun, so come back this spring to see how our rooms have improved!

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2013

"Yes sir, our hotel taxi to the Victoria Clipper will be waiting for you when you finish breakfast."

What's so difficult about that? But instead, before going into the breakfast room for continental breakfast on a recent trip to Seattle, I asked the desk clerk at the Holiday Inn Express on Aurora Ave., if it would take long to get a taxi as the Clipper left early and we wanted a fast breakfast. "No it shouldn't take long," was his reply.

When finished our hurried breakfast, I asked the clerk to call for a taxi. He said one would arrive soon. We waited outside the hotel in the dark, for about ten minutes. (it was 6:45 am) A huge man suddenly appeared and without a word, pointed to an unmarked SUV parked in front. He swung open the front door and stood staring at us. I ran inside and confirmed with the clerk that the car and driver belonged to the hotel, while my young companion, (visiting from overseas sat shivering nervously inside the vehicle.) The driver transported us silently in the vehicle, which had no meter, to the Clipper while playing around with a cell phone beneath the dashboard. He charged us $3.00 more than we had paid a Yellow cab the night before en-route to the hotel. It's a "flat rate" I was told by the hotel afterward when I called. In other words, the gratuity is added automatically.

If you think I'm being picky, consider yourself in a strange town. It's a wet, misty morning. It's pitch dark. A silent stranger in casual dark clothes, gestures you to get into an unmarked vehicle. Would you get in?

All of this could have been avoided if the desk clerk had simply taken a moment to explain a hotel car would be taking us to the pier — and if he were service oriented, he might have added 'and there is a flat rate.'

Communication skills are necessary in the hospitality industry. Why, in an age of so called high-speed communications, do so few people know how to communicate effectively?

On second thought, perhaps I should have texted the desk clerk to request a taxi.

Our third-floor room at this Holiday Inn was clean but I prefer the wash basin and vanity to be separate in the bathroom not in the bedroom. Unfortunately, on our first night, a party bounced on the ceiling until 3:00 am.

The self-serve continental breakfast is good with a selection of eggs, bacon, sausage and a plentiful variety of beverages, cereals and pastries — all included in the price of the "Victoria Clipper Vacation Package" of $385.00 (Two night for two plus sea travel.) The Breakfast Room staff were cheerful and welcoming.

All in all excellent value for a short stopover in Seattle, but if there is a next time I'll go later in the spring. February was not a good choice. It gets a bit rough in the Juan de Fuca straight — and I'll phone for my own cab.

Room Tip: Ask that revellers are not accommodated in the room above yours.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ScottieMcFrugal
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and I sincerely apologize for the discomfort with transportation! You are absolutely correct that our transportation options should have been communicated more clearly, and your request for a taxi should have been honored. We work with an independant company called Ace Transportation, and we use their services quite often. Their vehicles are unmarked, but they do generally wear uniforms. Please be assured that I will be discussing this situation with my front desk staff and with Ace Transportation. Our guests should never feel uncomfortable or unsafe due to circumstances we, however inadvertently, may have caused. I hope that you will accept my most sincere apology for this, and I hope that you will not hold it against us.

If you wish to discuss this or any other matter, please feel free to contact me directly!
hambrick@hcbmi.net
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed again at this conveniently located downtown hotel and really enjoyed our stay. We arrived very late (1 am) and the lady on the desk was bright and professional, and very accommodating. Nice to know you're treated well at all times of the day! The breakfast was wonderful, and even though the hotel was very busy that weekend, they cheerfully kept everything full, and even fielded a couple of special requests for us. Great service from everyone we encountered! The room was outstanding. We had a King jacuzzi room which had everything and more that we would need, including a fridge & microwave. Housekeeping was superb. All in all - an excellent choice when visitng Seattle.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel! I'm so glad you had a good time, and I hope we see you again soon.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2013

The price and the people are right. The large room (419) with a tiny bathroom that had a very good shower head, was quiet. The bed was good. A basic breakfast is included. Nothing special but the price is right. And so is the service.

We have learned though that sites like Expedia can often get you a room at a similar price in a better hotel; in Seattle the Roosevelt would be a good example. We stayed at the Inn this time, because we were with a group.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your comments! We hope to see you again during your next Seattle visit.

Narberth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 February 2013

The hotel is quite nice - regular, quite small, clean rooms.
My biggest problem was the price - at $260 per weekend night, you can do much better...
The parking in the area is problematic, unless you pay the hotel for using its garage - when I arrived for a late check-in, there was no room in the hotel's garage.
Breakfast is complimentery and is very reasonable.
Finding the hotel was a bit difficult - so make sure use a GPS or print out instructions.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your comments! I greatly appreciate the opportunity to host you and your party, and I hope that you will join us again on your next trip to Seattle. Parking is certainly at a premium in our area, and we do have challenges with our smaller parking space. We do offer overflow parking, however, at half price as an alternative when our garage or surface lot is full. I apologize if this was not fully explained. I will be sure to take your feedback to my staff to ensure that we are giving our guests all relevant information.

We are also beginning to update our rooms and our corridors, so I hope that you will choose to try us again when the upgrades are completed and see what you think.

Happy Travels!
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I've stayed at many Holiday Inn Express locations. I choose them because I think they offer a lot of bang for the buck. The hotels are usually modern, clean, spacious, and don't nickle and dime you for wifi, breakfast, etc. I booked a room here off Hotwire. I would never have paid full price, and in fact been very peeved if I had paid anything more than 100 a night. This hotel is perfect adequate but definitely run down and not nearly as nice as other HIE. It's like they took a Holiday Inn and simply renovated it (and didn't do much of a renovation). The carpet in our room was old and actually coming up in ripples in some parts. The room was small and the bathroom barely had room for two people. The shower had trouble keeping up with hot water demand. The place is just...old. The parking is an additional 10 dollars and if you show up late you will have trouble finding a spot in the underground garage. Location wise it is not far from the space needle, but to get there you will have to cross Highway 99. So you have to walk about two blocks to the intersection. The surrounding area might not be ideal to walk in late at night by yourself. In summary the next time we are looking for a place to stay at close to the space needle I think we will go with somewhere else like the Four Points Sheraton.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gerbila
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Thank you for your feedback, and I am sorry that we disappointed you. We are currently in the process of upgrading many of our rooms and corridors with new carpet, furniture, wall vinyl, drapery, and lighting fixtures. I invite you to return in a couple of months and see how we have improved. If you do choose to stay with another brand the next time you are in Seattle, then thank you for giving us a try and I hope that you had a great visit to the city!

Darcy Hambrick

Travellers are raving about these Seattle hotels