All reviews space needle pancake machine room was clean free breakfast aurora avenue front desk staff minute walk within walking distance decent breakfast indoor pool the breakfast area few blocks other attractions top floor alaskan cruise yogurt king suite
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights exploring Seattle prior to a longer trip down the West Coast states. The location is near the Seattle Space Needle and City Center attractions (EMP, Monorail, Pacific Science Center). One note on the location, it is close to Space Needle and City Center, but not as close as it appears on the map at first glance. The street in front of the hotel is a divided roadway, so it is not a straight shot up to the Space Needle as it may appear on some maps, instead, you need to take an extra (not long) walk up a couple intersections to take a road over the divided roadway. Not a big deal, but something anyone having small children or accessibility issues should consider.

We took advantage of the morning breakfast (above average, we enjoyed the pancake machine's fresh pancakes and the Holiday Inn cinnamon rolls), the pool (warm, clean and well supplied with towels). The room was on the small side, but very clean and also functional with minifridge and coffee maker.

A final word about the staff. They were excellent, couldn't have been more friendly and efficient, from front desk to breakfast servers.

Only drawback: 1 out of service elevator that created longer than necessary waits to access higher floors (we were on 2, so other than luggage runs could and did take stairs). .

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on the front side of the hotel (potential view of Space Needle), but you would be facing a busy road.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments! The elevator that was out of order is now back in service. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience caused by this mechanical failure. We greatly appreciate you choosing our hotel, and we look forward to your return.

Darcy Hambrick, GM

Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I arrived 5 days ago and have two more nights here. We had requested a quiet room (after reading reviews) and were graciously accommodated when we checked in with Jeff. The room is very nice, recently remodeled and quiet! The sink is separate from the rest of the bathroom which is nice, lighting is very adequate with good mirrors. One of the elevators wasn't working when we checked in but has since been fixed - but most of the time we just used the elevator at the far end of the hall anyway. Breakfast is good, free wifi good, and all the staff is friendly and accommodating. Will definitely consider again for a return visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us, and in particular, your mention of Jeff. He is one of our veteran team members and is a real treasure! We look forward to your return in the future. Happy travels!

Darcy Hambrick, GM

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed there for several nights in early July. In most aspects, we got what we expected. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was as promised although the room was crowded each morning.

The hotel has two elevators for a six floor hotel. We were on the fifth floor. One of the elevators was broken for the entire time and no one seemed to be working on it. This meant that there was one working elevator which was very crowded in the morning and evening. We had to wait for several passes many times. That meant 10 minutes in elevator waits for each trip to/from out room, about 4 times per day. Not built into our vacation schedule. I'm not sure how long it had been broken or would be broken; but the staff had become very casual about "that's the way it is".

We also noticed a gasoline odor each morning waiting for the elevator after breakfast and were told that it happens many mornings and comes from the parking garage. Not a massive issue, but would be nice to fix it.

In sum, this is more negative than it would have been with two fully functioning elevators. It's a bit out of town, but the prices are lower.

Room Tip: Try a lower floor. You might be able to use the stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for your feedback, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience regarding the elevator. Although it may not have appeared that the elevator was being worked on, we were actively trying to get the issue resolved and return the elevator to service. Unfortunately, we had to wait for parts to come in which is why we had to a couple of days. We did use our service elevator as overflow, so we had two out of 3 working. Believe me, we would not have wished this kind of major repair to have to happen during our peak season. I am very sorry that it affected your stay, and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We arrived around 11 AM on a Saturday. At the front desk Jeff held our luggage and told us our room would be ready around noon. This was early and appreciated. The lobby is large and there is a free breakfast which we did not go to. They have a small room with two computers for guests with free access to the internet.
Our room was large with two queen beds and a decent sized mini fridge. The bathroom was a decent size as well. The room was clean and the bed comfortable.
Every staff member we encountered was very nice.
The Emerald Grill is a couple of dozen steps away and offers steaks, burgers and pasta. The food was pretty good. The Grill will deliver lunch or dinner to your room for a $2 charge.
This hotel is within viewing and walking distance of the Space Needle (probably less than a 1/2 mile). You can also walk to downtown and Pikes Market (both about a mile away).

A couple of things threw us off, though they were not the fault of the hotel. Our first night we were woken up a couple of times by some people partying down the hall. The hallway also reeked of pot. In the AM we did make the front desk aware of this.
Our second night we were up extremely early to catch a flight and the car we booked through the hotel did not show up. The gentleman at the front desk (Matt, I believe) called the car service and tried to help, but we took a cab instead.

In all, it was a quick stay with a couple of hiccups, but we would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Irk

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel and for taking the time to mention some of our team members! Let me also apologize on behalf of Ace Transportation for missing your scheduled pick up. I will bring this to the attention of the company's manager, as I am sure they are as eager as we are in making improvements where their services have fallen short. I appreciate your staying with us, and we hope you will visit us again!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Full disclosure, I am a local and I am reviewing this based on my experience with having my senior citizen mother stay there for a total of six nights.

I booked this hotel for my mother for several reasons. The main one is it's location. I live in the South Lake Union neighborhood, and this hotel is basically located where the South Lake Union/Belltown/Seattle Center areas meet. It is an easy to walk to my place, the Seattle Center attractions (Space Needle, EMP, Chihuly Museum, Pacific Science Center, etc). Or, you can take a five-ten minute walk to the South Lake Union Streetcar stop at Westlake & 9th, which gets you to the downtown Seattle shopping core/Westlake Center (Monorail stops here) & Underground Bus & Light Rail tunnel in about ten minutes give or take with traffic. If you really like walking (and honestly, Seattle summers are awesome for walking) you can walk from the hotel to downtown in under a half hour. South Lake Union and Belltown are both quite walkable from the hotel and have many restaurants to choose from (Belltown moreso).

The second reason I chose this hotel: the price. While this is definitely not the cheapest hotel, I consider it a really good choice for what you get for the money, during the summer months (especially during the 4th of July). Many of the other budget friendly hotels (in the same price range) in this area are kind of rundown looking and in a less walking or public transportation user-friendly area. The fact that a free breakfast is included made all the difference. My mom is one of those people that absolutely needs to eat something before she can leave the house, so not having to go out every morning or keep food in the room was great.

The breakfast: Every day they had some sort of eggs, bread, bagels, muffins, some days there were pancakes (and maybe waffles?), cereal, oatmeal, fruit, juices, milk, coffee/tea, and cinnamon rolls. It was all basic stuff, nothing especially fancy, but I'm not big on breakfast, so I thought it did the job. The breakfast room could get crowded, but there's always the option to take the food back to your room.

The room: I booked a pre-paid standard Queen room. Although I didn't stay in the room, I paid for it, and checked in before mom's flight got in so I could make sure it was all good. Upon check-in I was upgraded to a King Suite. I'm not sure if this was because I have a points membership or due to room inventory, but it was of course, appreciated. The King Suite looked over the Aurora freeway and had a great Space Needle view. No worries about freeway noise though, it was quiet in the room. Mom stayed here for three nights before we took a weekend trip and came back for another three nights. I made the same Standard Non-smoking Queen reservation, and this time we got just that. In all honesty, the only difference I could see (besides bed size)between the King Suite and the Standard Queen is a two-seater sofa (possibly a sofa bed?) and coffee table.The beds were very comfortable, it was quiet, there was a coffee/tea maker, a mini fridge, and microwave.

The only "problems" we had were minor. The shower curtain was missing upon check-in. I let them know on the way out and it was promptly taken care of. Heck, knowing we were getting a fresh shower curtain was kind of better than wondering how often they change them, right? The other issue was the broken elevator. I see from other reviews this problem was still going on during their stay (ours was the first week of July). The only time this was kind-of-sort-of annoying was during check-in times when elevator traffic is at the highest. Not a big deal (to me) though. The last issue turned out to be a non-issue, but nevertheless irked me, was the remodeling notice in the elevator. Apparently there were room renovations going on at the time, and the first I heard of this was when I stepped into the elevator up to the room after check in. Luckily mom reported never hearing a thing and I didn't notice anything either (we were in and out sometimes several times a day). Had there been any significant remodeling noise, I would be quite upset for not being notified in some way before I got to the hotel. In my opinion, it is not good business to fail to let guests know of such things beforehand, and the only way you find out is a paper posted in the elevator.

Would I book my mom here again or stay here myself: Yes. Room rates can be quite high in Seattle during the summer months, and these are competitively priced. Caveat: When I was initially looking to book the rooms, I went in person to ask about a locals/neighborhood discount. The resident Discover South Lake Union card site lists the HIE as a hotel that offers a 15% off discount, but when I asked about it, I was told they did not offer it. Total bummer. It definitely made me think twice about booking this place vs. going all out and booking the PanPacific.

3  Thank Remgirl1
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thank you for your candid feedback, and thank you for bringing the renovation notification to my attention! The property upgrade notice was on our website, but it did expire. I apologize for allowing that to happen, but it is visible again. Our upgrades are currently on a brief hiatus due to the summer season. They will resume again in the fall, so for the time being, we will not have an issue with construction noise. I will be sure to keep a better eye on that.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to share your comments!