“small rooms , poor service”

Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center
Ranked #67 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Let me start by saying , Jeff who represented himself as the front desk manager is not very accommodating and acts like the guests are a bother. Just his poor attitude alone makes me recommend that you stay at the Hyatt place.
The rooms are very small and as a platinum member I was placed right next to the elevator. Not Good. So, as I stated earlier there are other hotels in the area that value their customers and are nicer.

Room Tip: Avoid speaking to the front desk manager you are a bother to him.
1  Thank jmia
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. I am extremely sorry that you had a poor experience at our hotel, and I would welcome the opportunity to make this right. Your feedback is very much appreciated, as I need to know where our training efforts should focus. Thank you for being a Platinum IHG Rewards Club member, and I sincerely hope that you will allow me to discuss this situation with you.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Diamond in the Rough. Surrounded by traffic and urban "relics"... this was a quiet, reasonable, and effective hotel. Within walking distance of Space Needle, Market, and Restaurants. Small "Diner" attached to hotel was exceptional... Friendly staff with efficient and practical menu.

Room Tip: Some rooms actually had a pretty good view of the Space Needle... it might be worth a request.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments! Not only do most of our suites have a Space Needle view, but many of our standard king rooms do, as well! Thank you, too, for your mention of the Emerald Grill at Holiday Inn. I will be sure to share your kudos with the restaurant manager. I hope you will come see us again!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel in June of 2013. All in all it was a very nice place. The parking garage is a little tight to get into, but other than that it was top notch. The little bar/grill on-site was great. The staff was super friendly and a pleasure to speak with. The rooms were well appointed, comfortable, and quiet. I would not hesitate going back here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I'm glad you had a good time, and I look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Clean, quiet, rooms on the smallish side. Could really have used a fridge. I don't like when the sink is not part of the bathroom. Its fine to have a sink outside the bathroom, but with 4 of us in a room, it was hard to get at the sink.......could have used two spaces for us to get ready.....close to whole foods/space needle/monorail......good location for us. Would stay again. Breakfast is ok, but I just had cinnamon bun and coffee - the hot stuff looked too generic for me. We had most of our meals from wholefoods. Front desk called us a cab which never came, so we flagged on down ourselves....he tried, I guess.

1  Thank marnasunshine
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments! I appreciate your feedback, and I welcome the opportunity to learn from our guests about how we can improve our services. We strive to provide outstanding service, so your remarks are helpful. Please always let us know how we can make your stay a more enjoyable experience! I hope you will come see us again!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights exploring Seattle prior to a longer trip down the West Coast states. The location is near the Seattle Space Needle and City Center attractions (EMP, Monorail, Pacific Science Center). One note on the location, it is close to Space Needle and City Center, but not as close as it appears on the map at first glance. The street in front of the hotel is a divided roadway, so it is not a straight shot up to the Space Needle as it may appear on some maps, instead, you need to take an extra (not long) walk up a couple intersections to take a road over the divided roadway. Not a big deal, but something anyone having small children or accessibility issues should consider.

We took advantage of the morning breakfast (above average, we enjoyed the pancake machine's fresh pancakes and the Holiday Inn cinnamon rolls), the pool (warm, clean and well supplied with towels). The room was on the small side, but very clean and also functional with minifridge and coffee maker.

A final word about the staff. They were excellent, couldn't have been more friendly and efficient, from front desk to breakfast servers.

Only drawback: 1 out of service elevator that created longer than necessary waits to access higher floors (we were on 2, so other than luggage runs could and did take stairs). .

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on the front side of the hotel (potential view of Space Needle), but you would...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments! The elevator that was out of order is now back in service. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience caused by this mechanical failure. We greatly appreciate you choosing our hotel, and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I arrived 5 days ago and have two more nights here. We had requested a quiet room (after reading reviews) and were graciously accommodated when we checked in with Jeff. The room is very nice, recently remodeled and quiet! The sink is separate from the rest of the bathroom which is nice, lighting is very adequate with good mirrors. One of the elevators wasn't working when we checked in but has since been fixed - but most of the time we just used the elevator at the far end of the hall anyway. Breakfast is good, free wifi good, and all the staff is friendly and accommodating. Will definitely consider again for a return visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us, and in particular, your mention of Jeff. He is one of our veteran team members and is a real treasure! We look forward to your return in the future. Happy travels!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed there for several nights in early July. In most aspects, we got what we expected. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was as promised although the room was crowded each morning.

The hotel has two elevators for a six floor hotel. We were on the fifth floor. One of the elevators was broken for the entire time and no one seemed to be working on it. This meant that there was one working elevator which was very crowded in the morning and evening. We had to wait for several passes many times. That meant 10 minutes in elevator waits for each trip to/from out room, about 4 times per day. Not built into our vacation schedule. I'm not sure how long it had been broken or would be broken; but the staff had become very casual about "that's the way it is".

We also noticed a gasoline odor each morning waiting for the elevator after breakfast and were told that it happens many mornings and comes from the parking garage. Not a massive issue, but would be nice to fix it.

In sum, this is more negative than it would have been with two fully functioning elevators. It's a bit out of town, but the prices are lower.

Room Tip: Try a lower floor. You might be able to use the stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for your feedback, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience regarding the elevator. Although it may not have appeared that the elevator was being worked on, we were actively trying to get the issue resolved and return the elevator to service. Unfortunately, we had to wait for parts to come in which is why we had to a couple of days. We did use our service elevator as overflow, so we had two out of 3 working. Believe me, we would not have wished this kind of major repair to have to happen during our peak season. I am very sorry that it affected your stay, and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.